Need help fixing a pc my friend built in 2007 - ASUS mobo

R3CKL355

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hello friends,

In about 2007, a business friend built a computer for our car lot, and at that time it was used only for surveillance camera recording. Now, we no longer have the car lot, and I wanted to get this thing up and running to watch movies or play some games on.

It has been sitting in a bin for about 3-4 years, and recently I pulled it out and hooked everything up. When I hit the power button, it sounds like everything is going right, cpu fan kicks on, hard drives spin, disc drive spins, and all of the normal lights pop up around the power button.

The issue is, i have no video. Typically I could figure this out myself, but i have never dealt with a homebuilt (always wanted to, however).

I have removed one of the two video cards and started, no video
I have removed one stick of ram, and started, no video
Vice-versa and no video
I switched the slot that the video card was in and got no video
I have removed one hard drive, and then the other, no video

Here are the known details of the machine:
ASUS P5K-E mobo (not sure how to further identify it)
Intel '05 Q6600 Core2 Quad 2.4Ghz/8m/1066/05a
GeForce 6200LE 256 DDR2 P/N: 256-P2-N298-LX (video card for output)
Nvidia NV6480 EXPRESS (video card for security cam in)
Super*Talent T667UB2GV 2GB DDR2-667 PC5300 Value
The other stick of ram has a shield over it, and i cannot remove to identify
Delono power supply: P-375
Seagate Barracuda 7200. 10 250 gig (i believe this is main)
Seagate Barracuda 7200. 10 750 gig (i believe this is secondary)
I believe it was running Win XP

I have pictures of everything if needed.

I am open to any questions or anything you think i should try, if you need more information, I will do my best to get it to you.

Solution
take out the nv6480 and one stick of ram make sure the ram is in slot dimm1 or dimm3 and the video card in the blue slot unplug the hard drive that does not have the os.

i am thinking it is your power supply so if it boots , add the components back one by one and test booting.
take out the nv6480 and one stick of ram make sure the ram is in slot dimm1 or dimm3 and the video card in the blue slot unplug the hard drive that does not have the os.

i am thinking it is your power supply so if it boots , add the components back one by one and test booting.

Solution

Dogsnake

Distinguished
What operating system is being used? Is windows installed? Given the history of use and age, I suggest you format the disk(s) and do a clean installation of windows. This will include all up to date drivers (chip set, video, sound, printer and any other device). You can use the second drive to back up any data on what will be your primary before you format the primary. If you plan to use both drives put the os on the smaller and then use the 750 for your programs. If you use only one and want the second to store pics or music use the 750 as your main.

R3CKL355

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Im going to try this right now

R3CKL355

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

At last i remember it being Windows XP. I plan on reformatting onto the 250gig and using the 750 gig as storage (music and such) but i cannot do so with no video to see what im doing.

R3CKL355

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

I could kiss you right now! Last night i could have sworn I tried this same, stripped down, basic configuration last night, but i was pretty tired after 10 hours on the road. Thank you sir!