I5-3570K + Asrock Z77 Pro4 + what else

Hello all,

this is my first build so bear with me. I currently own an I5-3570K and an Asrock Z77 Pro4 mobo with an old mid case a friend gave me. first off I got these at a windows 8 sale at micro-center and I am very budget oriented, so no gpu for now.

OS Win 8 or 7?
SSD Samsung 830?
HDD ? ( dose not have to be massive)
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series?
PSU CORSAIR TX Series 650 W?

If I forgot anything just yell at me i'm kinda sick and cloudy headed... :??:
22 answers Last reply
More about 3570k asrock pro4 else
  1. Windows8 is ok. But for now I still use Windows 7 since 8 is still got some kinks to it.
    Instead of a ssd and HDD. I might would get a 240GB or higher GB SSD
    GSkill ripjaws is a fine set of ram. But there are other options.
    Corsair TX series a great PSU Series. I use the TX 750. But I'll be moving to AX within the next 2 months.

I wish you would have gotten a Extreme4 but Pro4 is ok i guess. You just won't overclock much even though you bought a K proecssor.
  2. Rockdpm said:
    Windows8 is ok. But for now I still use Windows 7 since 8 is still got some kinks to it.
    Instead of a ssd and HDD. I might would get a 240GB or higher GB SSD
    GSkill ripjaws is a fine set of ram. But there are other options.
    Corsair TX series a great PSU Series. I use the TX 750. But I'll be moving to AX within the next 2 months.

I wish you would have gotten a Extreme4 but Pro4 is ok i guess. You just won't overclock much even though you bought a K proecssor.

I disagree about the storage with you but otherwise agree. I'd generally much prefer a 500GB-1TB hard drive with a 120/128GB SSD over a single 240/256GB SSD.
  3. I agree with blazor. Corsiar Vengeance Lp are good RAM too.
  4. blazorthon said:
    I disagree about the storage with you but otherwise agree. I'd generally much prefer a 500GB-1TB hard drive with a 120/128GB SSD over a single 240/256GB SSD.

Yea i agree with you to. But i what made me say that was he said he's a budget person. So he could either get a high capacity HDD and a low SSD or just put it all on SSD. Its kinda up to him what he wants to do. But if it were me, I'd agree with you a 128 SSD for OS and boot and HDD for storage. (Preferably a NAS Drive)
  5. so i'm good on parts then?
    and instead of Samsung should I get something like OCZ Vertex 4 or Crucial M4?
  6. Vertex 4 is a little faster on reads and quite a lot faster on writes, but it probably wouldn't make much of a difference for you and last I checked, Vertex 4 is way expensive today. M4 is slower than Vertex 4 and Samsung 830 by a good margin, but still, most workloads won't make a big deal out of this and I'd just recommend it if it's much cheaper.
  7. Samsung 830 is a great SSD quality series... so your fine. And read and writes are mere bickering points between SSD's. as most all are faster than HDD's... except first gen Agility's. I was told they were no better than HDD's
  8. Some other SSDs are junk too. Crucial V4s are said to be worse than most HDDs.
  9. Exactly. And Velociraptor.s are Fast but you get no difference in a velociraptor on WEI than you do with a HDD
  10. ok so what Hard drive should I get? I should only need 500 gb at most.
  11. Caviar Blue would be good
  12. I have to say, until SSDs were affordable, Velociraptors were incredible for boot drives. They simply aren't what they used to be compared to much cheaper hard drives and SSDs have replaced them overall as the top performance storage, but they're still something (albeit overpriced something since RAID can give much better solutions with cheaper and higher capacity hard drives).
  13. doughnuts said:
    ok so what Hard drive should I get? I should only need 500 gb at most.

Caviar Blue 500GB. I suggest that you make sure you go for a SATA 6Gb/s model. SATA 6GB/s doesn't really matter for the hard drive, but it those models are newer with better platters than some older models.
  14. HDD prices have dropped so much that I wouldn't buy anything other than a 1TB HDD. The difference between 500gb and 1TB is $20 or less.

120/128gb SSD is perfect for most people.

Do you need a good GPU? I assume you do, otherwise you wouldn't have come across tomshardware.com Budget?
  15. Well for now i'm going to skip the GPU till I get some money and any idea for HDD brands? so far I have Caviar Blue and Velociraptors.
    and am I forgetting something? it feels like I did.
  16. Western Digital makes both the blue and the Velociraptor. But they also make a Caviar Black which is a high quality and with good speed series. You might want to find a good 500GB Caviar Black. If blue doesn't suit u. But if your using the HDD for storage. then Blue will be good enough

Why wait on the GPU?
  17. I don't think that there is a modern Caviar Black 500GB, at least not one worth buying over a Caviar Blue. Performance between them is too similar nowadays to justify the Black's price premium unless you want an enterprise-quality drive and warranty.
  18. blazorthon said:
    I don't think that there is a modern Caviar Black 500GB, at least not one worth buying over a Caviar Blue. Performance between them is too similar nowadays to justify the Black's price premium unless you want an enterprise-quality drive and warranty.

I can agree with you. But i was only naming some.
  19. Rockdpm said:
    Western Digital makes both the blue and the Velociraptor. But they also make a Caviar Black which is a high quality and with good speed series. You might want to find a good 500GB Caviar Black. If blue doesn't suit u. But if your using the HDD for storage. then Blue will be good enough

Why wait on the GPU?

I'm waiting on the GPU till I make some more money. so I going to go with caviler blue I did some browsing it seems fine and I found it on sale too!
    Just remembered what was going to say, is there is there a difference between Ripjaws and RipjawsX?
  20. Good. Caviar blue will be perfect for a storage drive. Let us know when you are ready for a GPU
  21. Rockdpm said:

Difference isn't going to be all that big, really. Saw a reviewer got a Core i7-3770k to 4.7 GHz just by multiplier on the Pro4. Exactly the same as Tom's and Anandtech got with the Extreme4.
  22. Oh well then Pardon me
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build ASrock Intel i5 Systems