Sign in with
Your question

Low Power Low Cost Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 11:21:42 PM

Alright guys, need a hand here. My friend just got a core2duo@3 ghz machine. It a prebuilt computer with a shitty little power supply and onboard graphics, chipset q33 (intel gma 3100.) She wants to upgrade the video with something that uses as little power as possible, only wants to spend 50 bucks or so. What is currently the best choice?
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 11:32:24 PM

I think that you can get some Radeon 6570s for around $50. That would be great for average usage. A Radeon 6450 can probably do the trick as well and at lower price and power consumption if you want to spend less (I've seen some on sale for as low as around $20 to $25).
a c 355 U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 12:57:54 AM

What power supply?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 1:25:51 AM

jaguarskx said:
What power supply?

totally legit question, I don't know yet. She hasn't been able to get the side off the case. She's trying again tomorrow. I can see from the back it is small though, not a standard power supply. Hence why I want to know what really draws the least amount of power, at least what chipset range. I was thinking 6 or 7000 series from amd would probably fit that bill but I am not entirely sure, I've never bought a lower power consumption card. Definately not looking for something that draws more power than the pci-e slot can provide alone.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 1:54:17 AM

Quote:
7750 is a lil over your target budget but man is that thing power efficient and it gives you alot of bang for buck too

89.99 powercolor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

only recommending that cuz its so cheap i would get a card from a more reputable manufacturer but it will be ~10 dollars more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1gb HIS 94.99 w/ rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
passively cooled HIS 99.99 w/ rebate

those are both nice options, there are a number of similarly priced cards from various brands, id go with one from XFX, HIS, Sapphire, maybe gigabyte (asus is very nice too but overpriced)

It's power efficient, but it's way overkill except for a gaming computer or maybe also a lower end graphically accelerated workstation.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 2:24:27 AM

she does want to game, I really am just concerned about power draw. how many watts does that card use compared to something in the 50 dollar price range?

a core 2 duo@3 ghz is a pretty decent cpu, I suspect it could push that videocard.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 2:26:48 AM

neon neophyte said:
she does want to game, I really am just concerned about power draw. how many watts does that card use compared to something in the 50 dollar price range?

a core 2 duo@3 ghz is a pretty decent cpu, I suspect it could push that videocard.

The 7750 800MHz uses less power than the Radeon 6570, but more than the Radeon 6450 and Radeon 5550 IIRC.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 12:31:30 PM

Best answer selected by neon neophyte.
!