Windows installation problems on new M/B

Bjoern

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Good day.

I just purchased a ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard and AMD AM3+ processor. I intend installing Windows XP Pro 64-bit. This is where the fun begins.

This motherboard does not have any IDE interface and my DVD drive is EIDE, so I slipped a Ultra100 TX2 interface into one of the PCI slots and hooked up the DVD to it. I have a 500Gb SATA hdd installed on SATA i/f 1 to be used as the boot drive.

When I boot the system, it picked up the DVD and started installing Windows, however, I got a message from Windows setup stating "The bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant." I rebooted and hit F7 to bypass the ACPI issue but then Windows setup failed because it couldn't find any HDD although it was listed in the BIOS.

I then rebooted, changed the SATA port 1 to IDE and the installation continued.

As soon as I got the networking up, I downloaded the latest BIOS update firmware and performed a ASUS EZ Flash 2 update. After the updated, my DVD drive is no longer recognized by the ASUS UEFI BIOS although it does appear during POST.

Has anyone had a similar experience and perhaps a fix? I would really like to use AHCI and RAID.

Regards,
Bjoern