Chip Cooler needed?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hi, I am in the process of building a system based on the i7-3770 that will NOT be overclocked.
The case I am using has three fans, one at the rear, another in the front of the 3.5" bay, and a third on the left side above the CPU.

This is the case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208021&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=3e2idrl33acq

Should the fan that comes with the CPU be sufficient? I am a bit concerned that the cooler won't even fit between the mb and left side case fan....hanging off the mb....

Thanks

Solution
You don't need to buy an aftermarket cooler........
There is no point if your not going to OC. That's a waist of money.
The stock cooler will most likely fit. If not do as tiny said and move the side fan.

Why are you getting an unlocked Proc if your not going to OC?
And why a i7?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
You don't need to buy an aftermarket cooler........
There is no point if your not going to OC. That's a waist of money.
The stock cooler will most likely fit. If not do as tiny said and move the side fan.

Why are you getting an unlocked Proc if your not going to OC?
And why a i7?

Solution

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply....My CPU is locked...it is not the 'k' version.
The question is how loud is the stock i7 fan versus the212 EVO?
Also, does the cooler put much stress on the mb hung off it....

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Ok good sorry for the assumption.
The stock fan will probably be quieter then most after market fans. I would do as Jed 70 says and try it out (since it comes with the cpu for free) before investing any money into other parts.
The stock cooler is going to put much less stress on the mobo then a aftermarket cooler would. BUT neither are going to hurt it. Even hanging off the side, Mobos are mounted in a way that they have multiple points of support so you don't damage it by adding aftermarket parts. (also as jed70 said some come with stands you mount behind them)

The only damage i could see being done is with installation if you put to much force installing it. (which would still take a pretty good effort to do)

May i ask still the choice in an i7 over an i5? Don't know the intended purpose for the machine. If it's gaming an i5 would be the best choice, if it's video editing and such then i7 is the way to go.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for the comprehensive response and good advice....I will wait on the stock cooler to see how loud it is....to answer your question regarding use - it will primarily be used for viewing, cataloging and editing still photos. Briefly, the setup is as follows: Asus P8H77-V mb, the cpu above, 2 x 8GB DRAM, 256G SSD for W7/64 and apps, 1TB HDD for storage, 550W PSU, and no Video card for now (will try out on board HDMI first). Either fortunately or unfortunately I already purchased the cooler (212 EVO), and after seeing how it mounts caused the concern and then question.