Solved

Old 6950 crossfire

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what cards i could cross fire with my Gigabyte 1gb ddr5 6950 graphics card.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 6950 crossfire
  1. Any 6950 or 6970. Paying extra for a 2GB, or 6970 won't help.as it matches the lowest card, but if that is all you can find...
  2. Best answer
    You can crossfire with any 6950 or 6970 cards. Do note that if your second card is a 2gb video card that it will only use 1gb and if you get a 6970 that it will down clock to a 6950. I myself run 2 6950 2gb cards in crossfire with 3-23" screens. 1 card is a gigabyte and the other is a XFX DD.
  3. I would personally recommend selling off your current gpu if possible, and using the money you would have spent getting a second 6950 in order to buy a new card.
  4. You can still get then new at newegg.

    http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-102-954

    But Ebay it's your best bet for cheap. You also need to consider if you unlocked your 6950, like my 6950 toxic. And if your PSU and cooling can handle the2ND card
  5. dudewitbow said:
    I would personally recommend selling off your current gpu if possible, and using the money you would have spent getting a second 6950 in order to buy a new card.


    Honestly if going that route I'd wait for the HD8xxxs in a few months. My 6950 has no issues at ultra at 1920x1200.

    a second 6950 for 150 will probably be cheaper and match a 7950. But then you won't be able to sell for much in another year, and potential crossfire issues. It's always a toss up. But with the next series so close I'd wait
  6. unksol said:
    Honestly if going that route I'd wait for the HD8xxxs in a few months. My 6950 has no issues at ultra at 1920x1200.

    a second 6950 for 150 will probably be cheaper and match a 7950. But then you won't be able to sell for much in another year, and potential crossfire issues. It's always a toss up. But with the next series so close I'd wait


    gives the OP time to look for a potential buyer I would think. I do agree that the next gen cards(at least for AMD) is right around the corner and can probably muster up enough money to buy at least an Oland HD 8k.
  7. Thank you guys for the info, I may wait for the 8xxx series to come out then, just looking to upgrade my comp and its really between upgrading the card or my cpu
    (phenom ii 960 quad core black edition if i remember right)
  8. 2 6950's will beat a 7950 or even a 7970. My cousin has a 7970 and my 6950's beats his by far. He has same CPU, SSD, different ram but still 16 gb ram. He does have a different board which is a asus sabertooth z77 and I have a asus sabertooth P67.
  9. Azteck said:
    2 6950's will beat a 7950 or even a 7970. My cousin has a 7970 and my 6950's beats his by far. He has same CPU, SSD, different ram but still 16 gb ram. He does have a different board which is a asus sabertooth z77 and I have a asus sabertooth P67.


    a 6950 would win, but at that point, the one thing holding the OP back is that he has a 1gb vram model rather than the 2gb model.
  10. dudewitbow said:
    gives the OP time to look for a potential buyer I would think. I do agree that the next gen cards(at least for AMD) is right around the corner and can probably muster up enough money to buy at least an Oland HD 8k.


    Agreed. With nvidia just now pushing out midrange cards... They will take longer I'd think for next gen. But AMD should be soon, and I think a 6950 would hold up till then. Granted, AMD came out high on price since they had no competition for months last time. Then just dropped price and held ground as nvidia released...

    if he can wait though 7900s will be Cheaper even if 8000s are expensive with no competition... But then be harder to sell a 6950... it always seems hard to call the "best" price/performance route at this point in a cycle
  11. What is your resolution Jring?
  12. dudewitbow said:
    a 6950 would win, but at that point, the one thing holding the OP back is that he has a 1gb vram model rather than the 2gb model.


    Good point. That bit me in the ass with my 512MB 4850 a few Years ago. I think benchmarks still show 1GB as enough but I could see it hurting soon
  13. ya 1gb I would say is minimum these days. I have 3 other computers that have the nvidia gtx 260 and those r 768mb cards, which is fine for the kids cause they just run 22" monitors which are 1680x01050. They play same games I do but any higher in RES. I think they would start to have problems.
  14. I believe 1280x1024, I know could use a new monitor probably buy one as well as what ever card I get.
  15. wow i wouldn't even switch your card unless your gonna go with a higher resolution.
  16. I do plan to upgrade my monitor, and before you ask after buying a monitor my budget on a card would be 250~$
  17. Best answer selected by Jring.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire Gigabyte Graphics