So: New Mage, huh?

What do you think of it so far?

Initially, the bits with Atlantis, dragons, and dreams made me afraid
WW was ripping off Fireborn; of course, since FB was arguably ripping
off WW in the first place, who cares! (Taint, indeed!)^__~

Seriously, tho. It looks like the 5X5 character template is the new
standard. I like it, and it's pretty simple: There's one way you have
naturally developed, and here's a group you can join; mix and match!
Adding in Bloodlines, Lodges and Crafts (?) that the players can design
themselves is icing on the cake...

But what happens when all the splatbooks are out and they want to spawn
off some new ones? Metaplot existed largely to explain where new splats
came from and why we hadn't seen them around before. If they do so now,
it'll feel kind of artificial, unless they're working with a vastly
different definition of what Metaplot is than I am...

So far, the paths seem more interesting to me than the Orders. It seems
that Mage is made to be extensively involved with other supernatural
beings. Will the kind of Realm mages are attuned with determine their
familiars (so Enchanters and Theurgists get to travel with small fae
and angels)? Do they have difficulties in Realms they're unattuned with
(will a Warlock be at a disadvantage travelling in the Aether)? None of
the Realms seems equivalent to the Uratha's spirit world, tho...

I expected Vampire to be the odd game out, since Kindred have little to
do with spirituality and other worlds, but it will be interesting to
see if Mage and Werewolf, which have everything to do with them, are
directly compatible. Though it seems that the time of Atlantis was
after Pangaea, so maybe not...

I expect each Order may have a technomage faction, so that you can play
one no matter which path or order you are. Given that there's an Order
whose purpose is to police Mages from revealing magic to Sleepers, I
wonder if Paradox will be alot weaker or even nonexistant? I hope the
Order whose task is to update magic doesn't come off too much like the
Carthians in Vampire...^^

As far as past WW games go, I'm getting more of a reminder of Demon
from this one, and not just from the use of the word "Fallen"! The
disastrous age of glories and war, the abyss, the Mage Sight and High
Speech, etc...And, yes, the Fallen world, too...^~

Personally, I can't wait to see what the new Mummy, Hunter, and Demon
will be like, since I'm sure we're going to see them all sooner or
later!^^

Dex

DoMon

Il 8 Jun 2005 17:03:07 -0700, "Hand-of-Omega"
<handofomega@hotmail.com> ha scritto:

>But what happens when all the splatbooks are out and they want to spawn
>off some new ones?

prestige cla... ehm, lodges, bloodlines, and? something similar for
mages, no doubt

> Metaplot existed largely to explain where new splats
>came from and why we hadn't seen them around before.

you don't have to explain. simpli don't use them until your next
chronicle

>Personally, I can't wait to see what the new Mummy, Hunter, and Demon
>will be like, since I'm sure we're going to see them all sooner or
>later!^^

i personally hope they will go in new, untried, directions...
--
Domon, DOMON! ma che sei, soddo? che siete, na tribù da 'ndicappati?
D come Dateme artro tempo

per rispondermi, togli il FILTRO!

Richard Clayton wrote:
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> > Personally, I can't wait to see what the new Mummy--
>
> Bwuhuh? Has that been confirmed?

Nope. Just speculatin', is all. But anyone who doesn't think that WW
has at least vague plans to update these games, I've got a level 6
Demense to sell you. ^^

More speculation: What would be the 5X5 templates for those games?

Changeling: Kith & House?
Mummy: Tem-Akh & ???
Demon: House & ???
Hunter: Creed & ???

Dex,
who thinks the Silver Ladder sounds a bit like a worldwide organization
of the Wu-Lung...^^;;

Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> Personally, I can't wait to see what the new Mummy--

Bwuhuh? Has that been confirmed?
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Richard Clayton

WOW! Just read the write-up on the Free Council...

The Technocracy is here. And this time, they really *are* the good guys
they always pretended to be!

Have to say, that's the first Order write-up that really grabbed me.
All the rest sound fine for a pure fantasy game, but not really for a
modern setting...Appropriate that the FC is the only one NOT named
after a piece of a dragon's anatomy!^^

Dex

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> WOW! Just read the write-up on the Free Council...

> The Technocracy is here. And this time, they really *are* the good guys
> they always pretended to be!

> Have to say, that's the first Order write-up that really grabbed me.
> All the rest sound fine for a pure fantasy game, but not really for a
> modern setting...Appropriate that the FC is the only one NOT named
> after a piece of a dragon's anatomy!^^

It looks more like the Technocracy has been split into the Free Council
(the "techno") and the Seers of the Throne (the "-cracy"). The Free
Council are big into tech and freedom, the Seers of the Throne aren't
into tech but love oppression.
--
Stephenls
Geek

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> Richard Clayton wrote:
>
>>Hand-of-Omega wrote:
>>
>>>Personally, I can't wait to see what the new Mummy--
>>
>> Bwuhuh? Has that been confirmed?
>>

> Nope. Just speculatin', is all.

Oh, I hope I hope I hope I hope...

> But anyone who doesn't think that WW
> has at least vague plans to update these games, I've got a level 6
> Demense to sell you. ^^

You know, I think Demesnes SHOULD go above level five. If the Imperial
Mountain isn't Demesne N/A, I don't know what is.

> More speculation: What would be the 5X5 templates for those games?
>
> Changeling: Kith & House?
> Mummy: Tem-Akh & ???
> Demon: House & ???
> Hunter: Creed & ???

The general system seems to be [Type] x [Faction]. So for the mummies
(assuming they use the same concepts) the obvious choice would be
Tem-Akh x Group. So you could be a Sefekhi x Cult of Isis, for example.
The biggest difference seems to be that your faction now has much larger
mechanical effects than it did in the oWoD. So maybe joining the Cult of
Isis means you get a discount on learning Hekau, while joining a
different faction gives you more and better Backgrounds.
--

Stephenls wrote:
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
>
> > WOW! Just read the write-up on the Free Council...
>
> > The Technocracy is here. And this time, they really *are* the good guys
> > they always pretended to be!
>
> > Have to say, that's the first Order write-up that really grabbed me.
> > All the rest sound fine for a pure fantasy game, but not really for a
> > modern setting...Appropriate that the FC is the only one NOT named
> > after a piece of a dragon's anatomy!^^
>
> It looks more like the Technocracy has been split into the Free Council
> (the "techno") and the Seers of the Throne (the "-cracy"). The Free
> Council are big into tech and freedom, the Seers of the Throne aren't
> into tech but love oppression.
> --
They should almost like the Thralls working for the Earthbound. So far,
the D:tF vibe I'm getting is increasing...will wait to see the book
before final verdict, of course...

Just started rereading DA: Mage today...Wonder how NMage will reflect
on it?

Dex

Richard Clayton wrote:
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> >
> > Richard Clayton wrote:

> >> Bwuhuh? Has that been confirmed?
> >>

> > Nope. Just speculatin', is all.
>
> Oh, I hope I hope I hope I hope...

If you cross your fingers, wish reeeally hard, and roll a natural
20...then all your hopes can come true...

> > But anyone who doesn't think that WW
> > has at least vague plans to update these games, I've got a level 6
> > Demense to sell you. ^^
>
> You know, I think Demesnes SHOULD go above level five. If the Imperial
> Mountain isn't Demesne N/A, I don't know what is.

Arguably, the Elemental Poles of Creation could be as well...

> > More speculation: What would be the 5X5 templates for those games?
> >
> > Changeling: Kith & House?
> > Mummy: Tem-Akh & ???
> > Demon: House & ???
> > Hunter: Creed & ???
>
> The general system seems to be [Type] x [Faction]. So for the mummies
> (assuming they use the same concepts) the obvious choice would be
> Tem-Akh x Group. So you could be a Sefekhi x Cult of Isis, for example.
> The biggest difference seems to be that your faction now has much larger
> mechanical effects than it did in the oWoD. So maybe joining the Cult of
> Isis means you get a discount on learning Hekau, while joining a
> different faction gives you more and better Backgrounds.
> --
How many groups were there, tho? Aside from the Cult of Isis and that
corporation...

I kind of like to think of the Type and Faction as Nature & Nurture
choices; though I guess it's more like "You can choose your friends,
but you can't choose your family". Funny that Tribes is the Werewolf
"chosen" faction, since that's what you were born into in the last
game.

While on the subject, just wanted to note that I think switching Power
stats between the two games (Gnosis for (Quint)Essence) makes perfect
sense, given their Real World meanings...

Dex

BTW, did I misread the Mage intro? Sounds like they're saying that
Awakening is a relatively recent phenomena, as some souls have finally
started shrugging off the Curse. Does this mean no historical
supplements?

Dex

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> BTW, did I misread the Mage intro? Sounds like they're saying that
> Awakening is a relatively recent phenomena, as some souls have finally
> started shrugging off the Curse. Does this mean no historical
> supplements?

I think you misread it. It reads to me like there have been mages since
the fall of Atlantis -- if I had to guess, I'd say the Watchtowers
probably came into existence no more than a century after Atlantis's
fall. Assuming the Atlantis myth is in any way literally accurate.

Apparently they're vaguely considering a historical Rome setting for
Vampire. Had I to guess, I'd say that it'll be that one period for all
the games. But not for a couple more years.
--

Stephenls wrote:
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
>
>> WOW! Just read the write-up on the Free Council...
>
>> The Technocracy is here. And this time, they really *are* the good guys
>> they always pretended to be!
>
>> Have to say, that's the first Order write-up that really grabbed me.
>> All the rest sound fine for a pure fantasy game, but not really for a
>> modern setting...Appropriate that the FC is the only one NOT named
>> after a piece of a dragon's anatomy!^^
>
> It looks more like the Technocracy has been split into the Free Council
> (the "techno") and the Seers of the Throne (the "-cracy"). The Free
> Council are big into tech and freedom, the Seers of the Throne aren't
> into tech but love oppression.

Information^H^H^H^H Magic wants to be free!

These guys may be half of the new Technocracy, but they've also got a
healthy helping of the Virtual Adepts and the Sons of Ether.

I'm able to make an Etherite with nMage. This makes me happy.

--
_______________
Ian A. A. Watson

Ian A. A. Watson wrote:

> Information^H^H^H^H Magic wants to be free!

> These guys may be half of the new Technocracy, but they've also got a
> healthy helping of the Virtual Adepts and the Sons of Ether.

> I'm able to make an Etherite with nMage. This makes me happy.

You seem to be right. They're more VA and Etherite than Technocrat.

That said, I don't think pulp mad science is going to be particularly
in-theme, and it looks like the Free Council is more about uncovering
the secrets of the occult that surface in modernity than they're about
ray-guns and the Hollow Earth. This is a game about horror and magic,
after all, not two-fisted adventure and gosh-golly Science!.

But someone who has what looks like a machine out of a Myst game in his
basement would be pretty cool.
--
Stephenls
"na naaaaa na na na na na na na, na Katamari Damacy"

Hand-of-Omega wrote:
>> You know, I think Demesnes SHOULD go above level five. If the Imperial
>>Mountain isn't Demesne N/A, I don't know what is.
>
> Arguably, the Elemental Poles of Creation could be as well...

Well, the Imperial Mountain IS the Pole of Earth. I used it as an
example because its location is well known, and you could presumably
build a Manse on it; building a Manse at the Pole of Fire, on the other
hand, could prove difficult.

> How many groups were there, tho? Aside from the Cult of Isis and that
> corporation...

Five or six, if I recall correctly. The Followers of Osiris were still
around, but de-vampired. Horus had a faction, I believe, and there were
one or two somewhat less conventional organizations, like the Eset-a and
the Ashukhi Corporation.

> I kind of like to think of the Type and Faction as Nature & Nurture
> choices; though I guess it's more like "You can choose your friends,
> but you can't choose your family". Funny that Tribes is the Werewolf
> "chosen" faction, since that's what you were born into in the last
> game.

Actually, I think tribes were adoptive in W:tA, at least to a small
degree. Obviously no homids were invited to join the Red Talons, but it
seem to remember situations with several tribes trying to "recruit" a
newly-Changed werewolf.

> While on the subject, just wanted to note that I think switching Power
> stats between the two games (Gnosis for (Quint)Essence) makes perfect
> sense, given their Real World meanings...

Mmmm. I don't know enough about nWoD to really comment on that.