Sign in with
Your question

Help in optimizing my GTX 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2012 3:14:20 AM

I'm a bit of a noob, having just recently built my first PC, and I've been noticing some things that are... frankly odd in my gaming experience.

Some titles like Starcraft 2 run super smooth and I can't find anything to fault them really, but others... like Skyrim and Mass Effect and Age of Empires Online, there's all these little things. In Skyrim I notice really weird flickering with the shadows, from the leaves projecting shadows on the ground or from skeletons projecting shadows on a wall (usually from a torchlight). They are subtle, but I definitely notice them and they are very distracting. I wasn't expecting so many problems from a 450$ product. I'm playing at the highest settings I could find in game (FRAPs tells me I'm holding a solid 60FPS), but I saw there are also dozens of other settings I can change from the desktop (by going into that nVidia Control Pannel). There's a lot of stuff here... and I don't really know what any of it means, but I'm sure it's these settings that can help fix the weird quirks I've been seeing in game.

Is there a place that can... maybe guide me through them? Like a Nvidia Settings for Dummies or something? I found this mentioned on their website: http://www.geforce.com/optimize/articles/About-OPS But... while it mentions this "OPS software", I have no idea from where to install it. It says at the bottom of the page to look on the Nvidia forums if I need any help or have suggestions, but apparently they've been down for over a month... so I came here instead. Anyone able to help me?

More about : optimizing gtx 670

October 5, 2012 3:45:25 AM

PTNLemay said:
I'm a bit of a noob, having just recently built my first PC, and I've been noticing some things that are... frankly odd in my gaming experience.

Some titles like Starcraft 2 run super smooth and I can't find anything to fault them really, but others... like Skyrim and Mass Effect and Age of Empires Online, there's all these little things. In Skyrim I notice really weird flickering with the shadows, from the leaves projecting shadows on the ground or from skeletons projecting shadows on a wall (usually from a torchlight). They are subtle, but I definitely notice them and they are very distracting. I wasn't expecting so many problems from a 450$ product. I'm playing at the highest settings I could find in game (FRAPs tells me I'm holding a solid 60FPS), but I saw there are also dozens of other settings I can change from the desktop (by going into that nVidia Control Pannel). There's a lot of stuff here... and I don't really know what any of it means, but I'm sure it's these settings that can help fix the weird quirks I've been seeing in game.

Is there a place that can... maybe guide me through them? Like a Nvidia Settings for Dummies or something? I found this mentioned on their website: http://www.geforce.com/optimize/articles/About-OPS But... while it mentions this "OPS software", I have no idea from where to install it. It says at the bottom of the page to look on the Nvidia forums if I need any help or have suggestions, but apparently they've been down for over a month... so I came here instead. Anyone able to help me?

For Skyrim V-Sync is always on and capped at 60 so you have no problem there. For the lighting I'd recommend maybe downloading a texture pack for lighting. :) 
m
l
October 5, 2012 4:19:42 AM

Right... but it's not just Skyrim. In Mass Effect I'll also notice shadow flickers, especially around the edge of the face or around the eyes, where you would expect the shadow to blend smoothly into a well light portion of the face, it will sometimes randomly spazz out and show flickering stripes or something.

Always in a very small section, and it will spazz then quickly go away, but it's enough to tick me off.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
October 5, 2012 4:30:53 AM

what is your current driver?
m
l
October 5, 2012 4:47:53 AM

Ok its not a problem with your hardware. Both Skyrim and Mass Effect have horrible implementations of dynamic shadows, and they've always been a problem. In fact if you look around the web they're the most common complaint about those games (besides crappy endings).
In skyrim you can tweak your skyrimprefs.ini so the shadows are as soft as possible, but the sun's lazy update will remain. Concerning mass effect, the .ini's can be tweaked but the shadow system has always been prone to glitches, especially the ones casted over character models.
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:27:59 AM

Its called dynamic shadows..Skyrim is notorious for having terrible dynamic shadow edges.They are all blocky.Some games implement it nicely like BF3,crysis2.There is nothing you can do about it.That the price you pay for having cool shadows dynamicly controlled by light.
m
l
!