GPU "coil whine", is it bad?

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Under normal load and generally "acceptable" FPS (I guess as high as 300), I noticed my Radeon HD 5570 and 7850 have no real issues. Whenever games and benchmarks tend to go into 1000, 2000, or even 3000 FPS, I notice both cards tend to make some noise, which from reading, I believe is coil whine.

Is this normal behavior for cards? As I mentioned, normal gaming and complex benchmarks don't cause any coil whine at all, it's only games with uncapped loading screens (GTA IV) and Triangle of Death (Kombuster) I notice that both cards will start producing coil whining, and usually the FPS is some insane amount too.

Solution
Its like a luck of the draw thing. Some coils even from the same batch will vibrate under certain conditions.

My 8800 GTX, X1900XT did it while my 5770 and 5870 do not. I do not think my 4870 did it either.

This can also happen with motherboards as well when the systems power savings feature is doing its thing.

It should not harm anything.
Some cards this is ok but it all depends on the coil type. The older style inductors sometimes buzz but that is usually not a problem unless bad caps. The other is the ferrite shield like what is used on the HIS and XFX 7850 is the ones you need to worry about. They often become weak and eventually short out making the card unstable.

The sound your hearing is likely coming from your power supply, not your video cards.

Its like a luck of the draw thing. Some coils even from the same batch will vibrate under certain conditions.

My 8800 GTX, X1900XT did it while my 5770 and 5870 do not. I do not think my 4870 did it either.

This can also happen with motherboards as well when the systems power savings feature is doing its thing.

It should not harm anything.

Solution