Solved

Should I wait to build a gaming PC?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2012 7:05:53 PM

So I don't know if I should build a PC now or wait a few more months. The reason to wait would be Intel's new Haswell processors (4th generation) they have coming out sometime in the first half of 2013, and also the new Sea Island GPUs that AMD will be releasing within the same time frame. Here is what I would get if I bought all the parts right now:

CASE: Corsair Carbide 300R
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
THERMAL PASTE: Arctic Silver 5
RAM: 8GB Samsung 1600 MHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7950
PSU: Corsair HX750 (750W)
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM 6 GB/s
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120 GB\
OPTICAL DRIVE: Asus 24x DVD Burner
FANS: 6x140mm White LED XIGMATEK

All of this will run me around $1350 with shipping... So should I wait or just get this? Also any suggestions are welcome but this is my MAXIMUM budget.

More about : wait build gaming

Best solution

November 27, 2012 7:24:22 PM

If you can fit it into your budget, go with the 240-256GB SSD you'll be glad that you did. In addition to speed improvements the extra space is extremely nice to have for games and apps. Samsung 830 for example is reliable, plenty fast and you can get it for a good price usually.

RAM: check for Corsair and Gskill CAS9 <=1.5V 1600Mhz or 1866Mhz 2x4GB kits they are quite competitively priced at $25-35

PSU: HX750 is great, but keep an eye out for sales on for example Seasonix X750, i've seen it go for as low as $99 lately.

FANS: while i'm sure the 6 fans will provide massive cooling, i am pretty sure you can get sufficient airflow with less unless you plan on going for maximum overclocks.

MOBO: You should really go for Z77 based motherboards, the one you have listed is great, but you really want a newer mobo

Also as a generic comment: "There is always something new coming around the corner."
So you CAN wait, but especially currently you can get such a nice bang for your buck with the current offering that you won't notice the changes with the new stuff.
Plus you get to enjoy your machine now instead of in 6 months.
November 27, 2012 7:29:12 PM

I agree with rvik. you can wait 6 months but after Haswell, there is a rumor mill going around that you won't be able to "Just get a new CPU and update the BIOS" anymore with Intel.. SO if you gonna build a computer.. Do it now and then when the next architecture comes out that you want' get it...as far as your board. Yea there isn't any point in getting a 3570K if your NOT gonna get a Z77 chipset. So a Extreme4 would be a good board to consider..
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2012 7:29:49 PM

rvilkman said:
If you can fit it into your budget, go with the 240-256GB SSD you'll be glad that you did. In addition to speed improvements the extra space is extremely nice to have for games and apps. Samsung 830 for example is reliable, plenty fast and you can get it for a good price usually.

RAM: check for Corsair and Gskill CAS9 <=1.5V 1600Mhz or 1866Mhz 2x4GB kits they are quite competitively priced at $25-35

PSU: HX750 is great, but keep an eye out for sales on for example Seasonix X750, i've seen it go for as low as $99 lately.

FANS: while i'm sure the 6 fans will provide massive cooling, i am pretty sure you can get sufficient airflow with less unless you plan on going for maximum overclocks.

MOBO: You should really go for Z77 based motherboards, the one you have listed is great, but you really want a newer mobo

Also as a generic comment: "There is always something new coming around the corner."
So you CAN wait, but especially currently you can get such a nice bang for your buck with the current offering that you won't notice the changes with the new stuff.
Plus you get to enjoy your machine now instead of in 6 months.

Any good suggestions for a better motherboard? And is there anything I am overkill on? The PSU is 750W so that if I want to use CrossFire in the future I can so I don't think it's overkill but it might be still. And I only plan to OC my CPU to 4.2 - 4.5 GHz and my GPU by a couple hundred MHz.
m
l
November 27, 2012 8:15:44 PM

Well you could check out Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H for example.

In practice the same level of mobo the one you listed is, but using the Z77 chipset.

Or the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 which was suggested above. There have been some tests here at toms lately for different levels of them.
Just check those reviews and see what features you want and then pick a recommendation from the review.
m
l
November 27, 2012 8:17:11 PM

Get your system now. Haswell will be a small improvement over Ivy Bridge, about 5-10% better. It is mainly intended to get power down more and will really be pointed at laptops and such.

With a limited budget, you do NOT want the new Sea Island GPU. It will be released at a price premium and you will have to wait months longer before it comes down to present day 680 or 7970 levels.

Yes, 7950's seem to be the sweet spot now for top grade graphics at modest (relativity speaking) prices.
m
l
December 4, 2012 3:16:01 AM

Best answer selected by MacLeody.
m
l
!