AMD 1.13 cpu / FSB newbie question

G

A somewhat non-technical question:

I bought an AMD 1.13 Thunderbird and an Iwill KD266 motherboard.I understand the 266 FSB is really 133, doubled by DDR. I am under the impression that DDR is a type of RAM (like on a video card), right? But the motherboard uses regular PC133 DIMMs, not DDR. So why are they calling it a 266Mhz bus? And does the CPU use the FSB at 133 or 266?

I'm considering overclocking it, and from what I've read here, my current setting (assuming a 133mhz fsb) is 133x8.5 multiplier=1130mhz, right? If I want to overclock the FSB, I could do, for instance, 150x7.5=1125mhz but now the fsb is 150mhz with the same CPU speed? Do I need to increase the core voltage?

Err, as you can see, I'm a bit confused, so thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Its just the Bus that is "double pumped". The CPU and the RAM, both use the base frequency to calculate their ones. For example, with a 100(200DDR)MHz, a 650 CPU and 133MHz RAM, the CPU would use a 6.5x clock mutiplier and the RAM will use a 4:3 clock ratio.

The thing is everything else connected to the bus (i.e. everything in the northbridge) will be affected by an increase in the bus frequency. I don't think they'll be able to withstand 150MHz. I'm not sure the RAM will be to stable at that speed.

If you do want to overclock its best to do the pencil trick and then increase the CPU clock multiplier. much safer that way. Do use planty of coolng though. A moment of carelessness and just like that you can burn you precious CPU.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

Mostly amd users are newbies dont be shy used you out of date 3d now!

! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !