Custom Cables?

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Does anyone know anything about making custom IDE and power cables? Basically, I want cables that are just the right length, no longer. I'd like to make rounded cables. Any clues to where I could get connectors and such? I haven't had any luck browsing.

Yippeekiiaayyy yippeekiioohhh Ghost rabbits in the sky.

Is it a 'challenge' thing, or do you want round cables. You can buy them you know. If they're for ATA-100 ports I would stick with the flat ones. I've heard that out of 80 wires, 40 are simply there to increase signal quality, and rounding them nullifies this.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Mainly, I want to do it so that the cables won't be any longer than absolutely necessary. I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun and I'm no stranger to electronic work. As far as round cables nullifying the signal quality, there is a way around that. I fly R/C aircraft, and signal quality is a big issue there. Most of the cables in the onboard radio systems are flat (they only have 3 wires though, as opposed to 80) and the flat wires can cause interference in each other because of the fact that any wire that has an electrical current running through it produces a magnetic field (which can cause an electrical current in nearby wires). What we do is remove one connector, separate the wires, and BRAID them. This eliminates the interference. I want to do the same thing with IDE and power cables. I don't know about modifying IDE cables though, I thought it might be easier to buy the parts.

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...

banesong

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All you need to do is find a local store that sells the cable (ie CompUSA, MicroCenter, etc) and pick up an IDC crimper and some ends. You can usually get a roll of cable, crimper, and the ends for less than $40