Sign in with
Your question

Budget PC

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2012 8:15:36 PM

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forums for a few days now as I've been trying to teach myself the ins and outs of how PC's work and what the different components do and the different qualities of them.

After a few days research I am now trying to sort myself a mid range pc for around £550-650. I would like your guidance on the build as I want to make sure everything is compatible.

Here is what I have so far

- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case - Black
- Power Supply: Need help with this one
- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz @ 4.40GHz Ivybridge
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom CPU Cooler
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: 500GB HDD
- Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 24x DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

I went for a high end cooler because of the big overclock. Also, as this is mainly a gaming pc. Should I go for a SSD? I know SSD loads programs faster but what are its pro's for games. I've seen the faster HDD's and would like to know the speed difference between the two.

Not to sure on the power supply. I know I need about 600W but there are tons to choose from and can't figure which would be the best one. I have read that if one breaks or surges, it can damage other components, which I obviously want to avoid.

Any help and lessons would be appreciated. And sorry for all the questions!

More about : budget

November 27, 2012 8:38:19 PM

How much are you paying for the case? If it's more than $50, go with an NZXT Gamma Classic, instead.

Don't worry about the SSD in a budget build - it doesn't increase frame rates, only load speeds for programs and loading screens, and improves the "windows experience."

You need 550w at the most - get a reliable brand like Corsair, Antek, Seasonic, XFX, NZXT, OCZ, PC p&c...

Don't forget to plug everything into a surge protector - that's how you avoid damage from lightning strikes.

Now... this is a big one. How much is that rig? If you dropped down to a non-overclockable i5 and an h77 chipset motherboard, you could probably afford a 7950, which would give you WAY better performance overall than you have right now.
November 27, 2012 8:53:41 PM

Thanks for the info on the PSU. Currently the rig is £635 with a stock low range PSU.
November 27, 2012 9:04:53 PM

After looking into it. I could drop the CPU to I5 3450 3.1 ghz with 7950 for around £655

But at that, wouldn't the CPU bottleneck such a high end GPU?
!