maxokll

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Ok, here's the latest issue I've created! I just bought this stuff...

AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz
ASUS Crosshair V Formula gaming mobo with the 3 way SLI
Rosewill Xtreme 850w PSU (end of next week!)
Plus the other goodies you'd need to make this thing a working machine.

I'm using the 16 gig of exisiting Ripjaw and the GTX460 v2 that's in my current rig. I looked at Newegg about getting a 2nd 460 for an SLI setup and all I saw were refurbs! Accordind to the "reviews" it's rather grim! It seems that it will be hit or miss on compatabilty??? You'd think this would be a piece of cake! This build is piece by piece when $$$ were available. So, my question is, what should I be looking at to be certain I purchase the right one? This card has been the very good to me and probably the best I've ever had! (Yeah, I don't have a GTX690 budget, sorry.) Suggestions, thoughts?

Thanking you all in advance!

Solution
Well it looks like the GTX 460 v2 is a rare card now. You will have a extremely hard time finding one to buy at a reasonable price. The good news for you is that you have a rare graphics card. You can most likely sell it and make some good money off it. Then after you sell it you can buy a better card. You could either do that or buy a normal GTX 460 1GB or GTX 560 and hack to SLI them. Option 1 would be the best thing you could do at this point.
x2 GTX 460 v2 should do very good for most games. I have x2 GTX 460's. I have the normal ones with 1GB and 256 bit memory bandwidth. There isn't a thing I can't play with those things. They are awesome. With the V2 the bandwidth is cut which sucks but they should still do pretty good. Mine are on a motherboard that doesn't even support SLI and they are working with sli hacks. I'm using hyper SLI http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153046 and different sli hack http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158907.

With those hacks you can use SLI with any 2 graphics cards on any motherboard. You can even SLI an old PCI card with a PCI-E card. So while I would advise you to make sure you match the cards so that they are officially supported you can still most likely get any 2 cards to SLI with those hacks.

maxokll

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Well it looks like the GTX 460 v2 is a rare card now. You will have a extremely hard time finding one to buy at a reasonable price. The good news for you is that you have a rare graphics card. You can most likely sell it and make some good money off it. Then after you sell it you can buy a better card. You could either do that or buy a normal GTX 460 1GB or GTX 560 and hack to SLI them. Option 1 would be the best thing you could do at this point.

Solution