Sign in with
Your question

PC wont boot up after GPU upgrade

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2012 9:48:59 PM

Okay so I upgraded from a Geforce GT640 to an Asus HD 7770 and now after the new gpu was put in the computer wont boot up at all. It boots up with out the new gpu, it boots up with the old gpu! I cant seem to figure out why this is. Any help would be appreciated.
My PSU is: http://www.microcenter.com/product/397729/ModXStream_78...
Mobo is: http://www.microcenter.com/product/387554/Z77_Extreme4_...

More about : wont boot gpu upgrade

November 27, 2012 9:57:38 PM

The power supply looks fine your sure the card is properly seated and if required you have the PCI-E power connector connected? Perhaps you just have a DOA VGA card.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:01:24 PM

littleleo said:
The power supply looks fine your sure the card is properly seated and if required you have the PCI-E power connector connected? Perhaps you just have a DOA VGA card.

Yeah put it in there a good 2-3 times. The connectors have been plugged in, was there any prior steps I am forgetting? Will having this Pci 3.0 card in a 2.0 slot cause anything to go wrong also? I thought it was backwards compatible.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2012 10:01:37 PM

1. check if the power cable for the vc is connected
2. check if the card is seated properly on the motherboard
3. try a different powersupply
4. you might have a bad card :( 

just my 2 cents
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:54:23 PM

1. Yup
2. Yup
3. Don't have one to try.
4. I think so :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2012 2:57:56 AM

you got all the pci-e connector directly from your psu you dont have to use this cable the card only ask for a 6 pins power connector it could be that you psu could not handle the card,another thing did you remove the nvidia driver for the gt card before the install of the amd hd 7770
m
l
November 28, 2012 3:20:57 AM

Well I didn't get the pci-e connector from my GPU thats why I bought that one. Since it is fully modular i just used the cord I linked earlier and plugged it into that last lost entitled PCI E on the PSU I linked earlier also, then used the other 6 pin end to plug into the GPU. And yeah I also removed the Nvidia Drivers from the old card. Still not getting the computer to boot up, all out of ideas now.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2012 4:16:30 AM

this white plug cable go to a molex connector on the psu not in the pci-e slot adding this you could contact ocz for spare cables
m
l
November 28, 2012 9:02:49 PM

So could the problem be occurring due to me using this cable then? I thought the two molex parts were I guess optional and that if i need to just use the two 6 pin parts I could?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2012 11:53:40 PM

the white molex part will give you the power on the 6 pins to connect to the graphic card,but if you could try to get spare cables for the one missing from ocz
m
l
November 29, 2012 12:36:47 AM

Well that explains why the computer wont even turn on then! Thanks for the info. Will try that, really appreciate the help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2012 12:42:55 AM

your welcome there will be somebody around if you need more help
m
l
!