Sign in with
Your question

Could my graphic card be damaged from factory?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2012 1:25:31 PM

I bought Firepro v5900 a few days ago. I bought it from newsegg. Since I live in Europe my friend bought it for me. She was in the USA.

I sent my graphic card at a company here so they can build me a computer.
They said that the graphic card didn't show any image and it's probably damaged from factory.

This is the motherboard they put it in:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

could it be that the motherboard isn't compatible with my graphic card?

Or is it damaged from factory?
Thank you
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 1:39:58 PM

I'm not an expert on the Fire Pro cards, but I'm pretty sure that it should work. If not, then your friend probably should RMA that card.
October 5, 2012 1:51:31 PM

She's back in Europe. She was in the USA form the summer.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 1:55:37 PM

ariancola said:
She's back in Europe. She was in the USA form the summer.

That's very not good. You might have been unlucky enough to get an extremely overpriced paper weight if you can't RMA it and it's really a faulty card. If you could test the PSU in another system and another PSU in the current system, then you could get started on checking the other components. If the card doesn't work in other systems that have a good enough PSU for it, then you'll have more evidence of it failing.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 2:04:26 PM

Why couldn't you buy it in Europe?

Why can't you RMA it in Europe?
October 5, 2012 2:26:19 PM

Cause they don't sell that card here. I live in Macedonia (FYROM) I tried searching the same one even in Greece and there isn't any .They only sell gamer ones.

She bought if from newsegg. As I know newsegg doesn't ship in Europe. Just he USA.
So I don't think I'll be able to return it.

I'm studying graphic design. I was supposed to build a computer for my college projects. We need a good computer that will do 3D stuff. (3ds max, maya).

Now I don't have money to buy a new since i paid 430 dollars for it, so I'm stuck with this old computer that lags even with Photoshop. I'm sorry It's just so hard for me since we already have to start doing 3D projects with 3ds max and I don't have the machine to work with. I'll probably fail my college cause of this damaged graphic card.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 2:41:55 PM

It's NEWEGG, not NEWSEGG.

You can still go to AMD's website and process and RMA. You will have to ship the card to AMD and they will ship you a new one.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 2:42:17 PM

ariancola said:
Cause they don't sell that card here. I live in Macedonia (FYROM) I tried searching the same one even in Greece and there isn't any .They only sell gamer ones.

She bought if from newsegg. As I know newsegg doesn't ship in Europe. Just he USA.
So I don't think I'll be able to return it.

I'm studying graphic design. I was supposed to build a computer for my college projects. We need a good computer that will do 3D stuff. (3ds max, maya).

Now I don't have money to buy a new since i paid 430 dollars for it, so I'm stuck with this old computer that lags even with Photoshop. I'm sorry It's just so hard for me since we already have to start doing 3D projects with 3ds max and I don't have the machine to work with. I'll probably fail my college cause of this damaged graphic card.

Newegg doesn't just ship to the USA.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 7:29:21 PM

No they also ship to Canada, which doesn't do him one bit of good now does it?
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 7:35:25 PM

geekapproved said:
No they also ship to Canada, which doesn't do him one bit of good now does it?

Telling OP that OP is right about it would have been slightly worse than not helping.
a c 218 U Graphics card
a c 213 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 7:44:00 PM

While it is possible that the V5900 was shipped defective, it is fairly unlikely. Try disabling the on-board video device on the z77 motherboard. If you look around Tom's Forums, you will see several users having difficulties with various GPUs (both Nvidia and AMD/ATI) with this chipset. Part of the issue deals with the Virtu Lucid (supports hybrid graphics) capabilities.

You can also check in the BIOS to set the PCIe X16 slot that the GPU is installed into as a Gen 2 slot vice the default Gen 3 setting. That can also help.

Last, the mobo may also require a BIOS update.

All of these should be checked before declaring the V5900 DOA.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 10:56:45 PM

luciferano said:
Telling OP that OP is right about it would have been slightly worse than not helping.

Not posting your useless information would have been slightly better than posting at all.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 11:32:22 PM

geekapproved said:
Not posting your useless information would have been slightly better than posting at all.

No, it wouldn't have. I should have said that they ship to Canada too and in that sense, I did not do as well as I should have done. Saying otherwise or saying nothing would have been allowing the spread of misinformation and likely or unlikely, that may have caused issues in the future.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 11:20:45 AM

luciferano said:
No, it wouldn't have. I should have said that they ship to Canada too and in that sense, I did not do as well as I should have done. Saying otherwise or saying nothing would have been allowing the spread of misinformation and likely or unlikely, that may have caused issues in the future.

......but he lives in Macedonia, which makes Newegg shipping to Canada irrelevant to his post and in no way helps him.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 3:59:59 PM

geekapproved said:
......but he lives in Macedonia, which makes Newegg shipping to Canada irrelevant to his post and in no way helps him.

Stopping the accidental spread of misinformation is helping. It doesn't help OP's thread in particular, but it's helping.
!