Crossfire 6950s with dual monitors

Slayersc2

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Hello,

One of my Radeon 6950 2GB cards has a reference cooler, the other does not. Using a single monitor the cards idle at 44 (reference cooler), and 37 (Better cooler) degrees Celsius. I don't think there is anything too wrong with these temps and under load the temps will not go above 70-80 degrees.
(my primary monitor resolution is 2560x1440)

However. ..
When I connect my secondary 1920x1080 monitor (making a total of two monitors connected) the temps go out of control. The reference cooler card shoots up to almost 60 degrees at idle! I really don't think this is normal...

Can anyone help me out with this?
(would swaping the slots my cards are in change the primary card by any chance? That might fix it I don't know).

IMA UNICORN

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Is the card with the non reference cooler in the main slot with both monitors plugged in? because the card with the monitors plugged in takes most the load especially when idling as the second card either shuts off or down-clocks to something like 200mhz until load is placed on the cards. so make sure the non reference cooler is taking more of the load. if you are really concerned you could add aftermarket coolers to both cards to lower the temps.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=16527

TRENDING THREADS