Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Clean install of Win7, being prompted for correct serial

Last response: in Windows 7
February 24, 2012 3:37:44 AM

I decided to preformed a clean install of Windows 7 on my machine, as I recently installed a new CPU, Mobo, GPU, and chassis, and I figured it would prove beneficial. My computer was a pre-built Gateway DX4831-0e1 with Window 7 Home Premium 64bit already installed on it. However, since I had lost the OEM DVD, and didn't have a Win7 DVD, I borrowed a friends thinking nothing of it. Upon installation I input the serial on the DVD I was lent whichwas accepted momentarily, but a day later it informed my the serial was unusable. I did some research and found that MY serial was located on the bottom on my PC enclosure, which I then input. Now, about a week later, windows is telling me I need to purchase a Key! I don't see why I need to pay for that which I thought I already own. Does anyone have any advice? There is an option to call a automated service but I can't imagine that "press 5 if you preformed a clean install of Windows with a friend DVD even though you already owned it and are now being asked to purchase a key," is an option.
Also, I somewhat aware that the Key need to match that of the DVD, but really that gives me nothing.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 4:19:05 AM

Hello alverdeja;

If the automatic license key activation failed use the manual method - calling Microsoft.
How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by phone
February 24, 2012 5:17:04 AM

Thanks, I'll try and then write back tomorrow.
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2012 5:30:11 AM

WR2 said:
Hello alverdeja;

If the automatic license key activation failed use the manual method - calling Microsoft.
How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by phone

Alright, so I called the automated phone service (which I probably should have done initially) and I was not required to purchase a new key, I only needed to activate the key I already entered. Thanks for the help!
m
l
March 5, 2012 1:16:46 AM

Best answer selected by alverdeja.
m
l
!