wrapscallionn

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I had to buy this comp from a rent to own store, as I'm trying to rebuild my credit after some gigantic hospital bills, so this is all I could afford.

I've upgraded the processor from the Athlon II 170u 2.0 ghz to an Athlon II X2 255 3.1 ghz dual core( had it in an old computer that died...surprised it still works...), and have added 8gb of ram. It has the amd 760g motherboard with only 2 x1 ( the tiny ones ) slots.

I know, the best thing to do would be to scrap it and go buy something else, but that isn't an option---most i could do is buy a new graphics card and a new power supply. It has a 250w power supply and ati integrated radeon 3000 graphics.

A few questions. I saw where startec makes an adapter for x1 slots to go to a x16 slot.Would that be a good choice to do?

I need something around 350-400 w power supply for a decent graphics card, around a 5450 or higher amd/ati. Any ideas, guys?

And if the startec adapter isn't a good idea, could 2 x1 cards be used in crossfire mode on this thing?

dingo07

Distinguished
the bottom line is, you're wasting your money putting anything into this system - it's old tech

use it as is - and save for a newer system based on a new motherboard/processor/memory that will be able to accommodate a new GPU

---

BTW, the 760G is the Chipset, not the motherboard

wrapscallionn

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I should have made myself more clear. I only have 150- max 200$ to spend on computer-anything until around next June.

I am just looking to extend the capabilities of what I got with what I can afford a bit. Not looking to max anything just yet, for that I know I'll need a more powerful machine.

Might be a " waste of money" to you, but since this is going to be my only computer for the next 8 months or so, figured I'd at least ask . :)

wrapscallionn

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Never building my own again. Last time I did that . .....it died on me after 4 months, leaving me in a big ol' mess. I'll have enough next June to buy a decent one, maybe. but for now, i'd like to be able to at least use Unity3d til then.

Foxconn , H-Apricot-RS780L-uATX .

link to the specs. Replaced the Athlon 2.0 ghz with a Athlon 2 x2 255 dual core @ 3.1 ghz.....and added 8gb memory. ( note---the memory is the only extra I purchased.) http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=5035292&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c02629647

dingo07

Distinguished
I wouldn't be discouraged just because of your previous build - there's tons of helpful people here in the forum that are eager to tell you what's better than what to meet your budget

well... if you Must get something, then I guess you can get this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161398

---

then you just need a PS that has at least 450W - here's where you can buy one now and use it for your "future" build
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Well unfortunately you just can't upgrade the GPU unless you get a new motherboard also. Because of this you'd have to also buy a new copy of windows. You'd be putting about this much in the computer which is by my guess more than it'd cost to buy a new computer with most of these specs.
$35 Corsair 430W PSU
$60 motherboard
$65 DDR3 6670 GPU
$92 new windows 7
Total is $252
You'd be better off spending the money to just upgrade to a better system all around. Then the cost would go up to almost $400 for an upgrade to an i3 and everything I already listed. Or you could keep the worst CPU you have and spend what I have listed above and the only upgrade you'd be getting is what is considered the lowest end gaming GPU that can be recommended (below that they just won't run much of anything). Conslusion... It doesn't look like you'll be doing any gaming this year, you'd be better off putting it towards your computer next year.

This is all assuming you do want to game. If not then just get a 6450 (although a single slot one is way overpriced, about four times the amount it's worth when with a x16 slot).

wrapscallionn

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Not much gaming goes on here; just some WoW , FF7 , Skyrim, Fallout 3 .A decent bit of graphics work, though, as I do mess around with Unity3d, Milkshape, blender, fragmotion. Plan on keeping this hard drive .. with that that you mentioned above, could I also use the hd i have with that stuff? ( windows 7 already on it....)

andrewcarr

Distinguished
I know windows 7 is on it but if you ever upgrade your motherboard you need a new copy. The windows is specific to the motherboard (it detects it and is all it'll work with). This way people can't just make duplicates of a hard drive and be able to run windows on any with a copied hard drive. Although it makes upgrades a pain. This is only true on an OEM one though.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/transfer-windows-7-hard-drive-to-new-motherboard/186935f9-a93b-49c0-b13e-f5193f72f348