Sign in with
Your question

I5 3450 WITH HD 7950 OR I3 2120 WITH GTX 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2012 4:17:19 PM

Hi guys...im about to buy a new build...well i can buy either an i5 3450 with hd 7950 or i3 2120 with gtx 670..i ll be playing at 1920 x 1080p and almost every game there is out there....can u help me decide which to buy?thnx...

More about : 3450 7950 2120 gtx 670

October 5, 2012 5:26:51 PM

i5 with hd 7950 , Don't get the i3 it will bottleneck
but imo you should get i5 with gtx 670
October 5, 2012 5:46:37 PM

If you can, get i5 + gtx670 if not then i5 with 7950.

i3 will bottleneck gtx670 as supersonic977 said.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
October 5, 2012 5:57:57 PM

I'd get the i5. In the very few games where a stock HD7950 is not as fast as a stock GTX670, you'll either be able to overclock it, or turn settings down a little; no big deal either way. OTOH, if the CPU is the bottleneck, you're stuck; done. Neither of those chips overclock [much], and you can't add cores to the i3.
October 5, 2012 6:02:18 PM

i5 and 7950 by a mile.
October 5, 2012 6:28:28 PM

thnx guys .....i will buy the i5 :D .....a motherboard doesn tbottleneck right?cuz im gonna cheap down on the motherboard ;) 
October 5, 2012 7:53:40 PM

a cheap mobo should be fine if you're OK with not OCing or doing SLI. Just make sure it has the features and ports you need and good reviews.
October 6, 2012 4:49:57 AM

welll it supports ivy and sandy bridge cpus and has pci express 3.0x16 and 2.0x1 slot....also it supports ram up oto 16 gb 1600mhz and has enough ports...so it s ok cuz anyway i woll not overclock my cpu....can i oc my gpu with a h61 or not?
October 6, 2012 4:59:28 AM

With H61, no you cant oc. Though a i5-3450 is not overclockable. So its ok to have h61. Non-oc'able mobo with non-oc'able cpu.

If you want to oc, then you can go for i5-3570k with z77 mobo.
October 6, 2012 5:03:22 AM

mubin said:
With H61, no you cant oc. Though a i5-3450 is not overclockable. So its ok to have h61. Non-oc'able mobo with non-oc'able cpu.

i want to oc the gpu not the cpu...
October 6, 2012 5:14:33 AM

steveogamias said:
i want to oc the gpu not the cpu...

Sorry i didnt notice you said about gpu.

You can oc your gpu in h61. But i think you should get a H77 mobo where you can crossfire 7950, if you think further gpu upgrade.
October 6, 2012 5:16:12 AM

mubin said:

All i5s and i7s can be overclocked by 20% through Turbo settings (works in H77, B75, and Z series boards, probably 67 chipset boards too with BIOS updates) and additionally a marginal increase through the BLCK (dependent on CPU and motherboard, I've seen anywhere from 0% to 10%) for those who want to.
October 6, 2012 6:06:21 AM

luciferano said:
All i5s and i7s can be overclocked by 20% through Turbo settings (works in H77, B75, and Z series boards, probably 67 chipset boards too with BIOS updates) and additionally a marginal increase through the BLCK (dependent on CPU and motherboard, I've seen anywhere from 0% to 10%) for those who want to.

I know, but thats not safe and has no guaranty if cpu will die or live. Though it will be good at most time.

But why oc a non-oc'able cpu where oc'able cpu is out there at good price.
October 6, 2012 3:40:56 PM

mubin said:
I know, but thats not safe and has no guaranty if cpu will die or live. Though it will be good at most time.

But why oc a non-oc'able cpu where oc'able cpu is out there at good price.

It's no less safe to use Turbo than it is to run stock. It's also safe to use BLK overclocking on LGA 1155, although that is rarely a significant boost because of stability problems. If a CPU fails with either of them and it's not because someone screwed with the voltages, then the CPU would have almost certainly failed soon anyway. OP's budget seems to be far too tight to buy even a non-K edition i5, so a K edition i5 is obviously too far out of budget.

I'd recommend buying a good AMD CPU such as a Phenom II x4 or better and overclocking far more than buying an i3 and I most certainly wouldn't recommend getting an i5 at the sacrifice of a Radeon 7850 to a 7770 (or worse if OP was to get a K edition i5), but that's me.
a b Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 5:58:45 PM

luciferano said:
...OP's budget seems to be far too tight to buy even a non-K edition i5, so a K edition i5 is obviously too far out of budget...

I'd recommend buying a good AMD CPU such as a Phenom II x4 or better and overclocking far more than buying an i3 and I most certainly wouldn't recommend getting an i5 at the sacrifice of a Radeon 7850 to a 7770 (or worse if OP was to get a K edition i5), but that's me.

I don't see where this comes from; did I miss a post from the OP revising the budget? I thought the debate was i5+HD7950 vs. i3+GTX670. Rereading now...

Edit: No, Luciferano I suspect you might have been answering another thread? Lol, I've gotten on a roll before and done that...

Anyway, stick to the i5.
October 6, 2012 6:14:01 PM

Onus said:
I don't see where this comes from; did I miss a post from the OP revising the budget? I thought the debate was i5+HD7950 vs. i3+GTX670. Rereading now...

Edit: No, Luciferano I suspect you might have been answering another thread? Lol, I've gotten on a roll before and done that...

Anyway, stick to the i5.

Oh yeah, sorry. K edition i5 would make more sense here. Point was that even non-K edition i5s and i7s can still be overclocked, so it'd be wrong to say that they can't, but not wrong to say that they can't do so as well as the K editions.

If, for whatever reason, OP can't fit an i5 better than the 3450, then OP should be aware that it can still be overclocked.
October 6, 2012 9:25:52 PM

mubin said:

You can overclock by a maximum of 400mhz because it has 4 bins.

So with the i5 3450 it's maximum overclock would be 3.9 ghz, this could be easily be achieved without adjusting voltage.
October 7, 2012 8:18:20 AM

guys i really want a gtx 670...maybe if i buy a fx 4170 and oc it to 5 ghz and buy a gtx 670?would this be a bottleneck and wont let me reach 60 fps?
October 7, 2012 8:21:51 AM

Depends on games, you may get 60+ or less than 60.
October 7, 2012 8:29:23 AM

steveogamias said:
guys i really want a gtx 670...maybe if i buy a fx 4170 and oc it to 5 ghz and buy a gtx 670?would this be a bottleneck and wont let me reach 60 fps?

i5 plus 7950 with overclocking is better in both CPU and graphics performance, but if you want a 670 that badly, then get what you want. You'd probably get around 60FPS in most games, but several would struggle in minimum frame rates and you're going to need a good cooler to hit such a high frequency on the FX.

If anything, an AMD A10 would be better than FX-4100. Much more power efficient and should have higher headroom. Disable its IGP and watch it fly in overclocking.
October 7, 2012 1:29:01 PM

luciferano said:
i5 plus 7950 with overclocking is better in both CPU and graphics performance, but if you want a 670 that badly, then get what you want. You'd probably get around 60FPS in most games, but several would struggle in minimum frame rates and you're going to need a good cooler to hit such a high frequency on the FX.

If anything, an AMD A10 would be better than FX-4100. Much more power efficient and should have higher headroom. Disable its IGP and watch it fly in overclocking.

yeah thats what i decided..i5 and hd 7950..especially with oc it will destroy a gtx 670 and i believe reach a 680 in some points...:D ....i wanted gtx 670 due to the fact it has physx,cuda and all these things but its ok they dont play so big role..right?does amd has something like physx,cuda,gpu boost,advanced v-sync ?i only know open gl but i dont know what it does...
a b Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 3:16:15 PM

I thought I wanted PhysX too, because I have Sacred 2, which uses it. It wasn't that big a deal though.
If you want CUDA acceleration though, you'd want a GTX570 or GTX580; Kepler's Compute performance was crippled. AMD uses OpenCL for GPGPU functions.
Short version, I think you made the right choice.
October 7, 2012 3:53:17 PM

steveogamias said:
yeah thats what i decided..i5 and hd 7950..especially with oc it will destroy a gtx 670 and i believe reach a 680 in some points...:D ....i wanted gtx 670 due to the fact it has physx,cuda and all these things but its ok they dont play so big role..right?does amd has something like physx,cuda,gpu boost,advanced v-sync ?i only know open gl but i dont know what it does...

Yes don't get an fx cpu get an i5 with a 7950!!!
October 7, 2012 6:31:08 PM

Onus said:
I thought I wanted PhysX too, because I have Sacred 2, which uses it. It wasn't that big a deal though.
If you want CUDA acceleration though, you'd want a GTX570 or GTX580; Kepler's Compute performance was crippled. AMD uses OpenCL for GPGPU functions.
Short version, I think you made the right choice.

well i cant install cuda cores but i can install physx..so its ok with amd cards..u can get open gl,physix,bullet engine ,better temperatures,value for money,performance AND OVERCLOCK :) .....so its ok with hd 7950 too ;) 
a b Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 6:38:26 PM

That's PhysX on the CPU, which is not as good, but still works. I'm running a HD7870, and have no complaints.
October 7, 2012 6:51:39 PM

steveogamias said:

I wouldn't say destroys the 670. The good 670s are still right behind it in OC versus OC comparisons. I would say that it beats them, I simply wouldn't go further than that.

CUDA makes no difference for games and seems to also be losing momentum in the professional market. OpenCL and Direct Compute have been replacing it or at least being given supplementary support. In these metrics, AMD beats Nviia in compute performance with their Radeon 7xxx cards greatly. The 7870 beats the 680. The 79xx cards are in a league of their own.

GPU boost doesn't really matter, but yes, AMD has it on some cards.

You can use Virtual V-Sync on AMD cards. It's arguably better than Nvidia's adaptive V-Sync and works on both AMD and Nvidia cards, so it's more easily compared between them.

OpenGL is an open-standard competitor for the Direct 3D portion of Direct X. Very few games use it nowadays.

Also, before this upgrade, IDR if you've already stated it, but what are your current computer specs?
October 8, 2012 11:29:55 AM

luciferano said:
I wouldn't say destroys the 670. The good 670s are still right behind it in OC versus OC comparisons. I would say that it beats them, I simply wouldn't go further than that.

CUDA makes no difference for games and seems to also be losing momentum in the professional market. OpenCL and Direct Compute have been replacing it or at least being given supplementary support. In these metrics, AMD beats Nviia in compute performance with their Radeon 7xxx cards greatly. The 7870 beats the 680. The 79xx cards are in a league of their own.

GPU boost doesn't really matter, but yes, AMD has it on some cards.

You can use Virtual V-Sync on AMD cards. It's arguably better than Nvidia's adaptive V-Sync and works on both AMD and Nvidia cards, so it's more easily compared between them.

OpenGL is an open-standard competitor for the Direct 3D portion of Direct X. Very few games use it nowadays.

Also, before this upgrade, IDR if you've already stated it, but what are your current computer specs?

thnx for all ur information...well now i understood some things..but wtf 7870 beats gtx 680?maybe gtx 670 IF U OC IT TO MAX...but without oc nto even a hd 7970 cannot beat a gtx 680...and any v-sync isnt supposed to do the same job?keep the fps stable to 59-61 and dont push the card more than it needs?so cuda isnt such a big deal...well my current pc wasnt made for gaming..u bought it i think 3 years ago..its a pentium dual core,a radeon hd 3000 something ,4 gb of ram ,298 tb hdd and 4 gb ram ..i dont know frequansy of ram,hdd and i dont know mb and psu..neither case..LOL........when i buy my new pc ill start gaming except xbox 360 and other consoles but even now i play very good at cod 4 and lol from nets and lol in my pc too....
a b Î Nvidia
October 8, 2012 1:09:53 PM

Ok, well I'm sure you realize you can't put any of these cards into your old PC without blowing its PSU; just wait until you have all the parts for your new rig.

October 8, 2012 1:59:24 PM

Onus said:
Ok, well I'm sure you realize you can't put any of these cards into your old PC without blowing its PSU; just wait until you have all the parts for your new rig.

yeah of course.and im gonna buy a new one...the only thing im not sure about is the cheap motherboard which only costs 45 euros..and its h61..but it says it supports ivy bridge and pci express 3 x 16...but anyway its a nice rig..;)
!