Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • EVGA
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
October 5, 2012 4:26:58 PM

Ok, please be patient with me.

I recently bought an EVGA GTX 660 SC as a final purchase for my current rig before building a brand new system in a year or two.

My system is as follows:

ABIT IX38 QUAD GT Mobo (newest bios, before they stopped releasing)
C2Q Q9950
KINGSTON HYPER X DDR2 4GB
AMD RADEON 5770 1GB

My problem is when i place my new card into the primary pcie 2.0 slot im getting the classic three beeps to signify no GFX present, but the card will boot into windows with a blank screen(the sound stutters tho).
Im currently running the EVGA card in the pcie2 slot which is v2.0 but only x4. The evga card works fine in that slot(benches 3dmark11 with 6k score) but i have to have the 5770 installed in the pcie1 v2.0 x16 slot.
if i try the config with the radeon in the x4 and the evga in the primary i get the same issue with windows loading with a blank screen and the stuttering sound.

Its obviously a motherboard issue, but i was wondering if anyone else has had the same issues and knows how to fix the problem. I really dont want to spend all that money to have to bottleneck a card

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oxide

More about : evga gtx 660 problems

a c 314 U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 4:35:53 PM

may not be your mb but the video card itself may not be make 100 percent to nvidia spec.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...
if msi was doing it how many other superclock cards are running over voltages and are causing post issues.
to know if it was your mb or not i would try a standard 660/670 card and see if it works fine.
October 5, 2012 5:52:29 PM

Im currently running the card in the x4 pcie2 with my RAD 5770 in the x16 pcie1. It runs games fine but i really dont want to be using it in this manner as i spent alot of money and i expect to be able to use it properly. But i suppose being able to use it is better than nothing for the moment.

Thanks for the reply.

Oxide

Related resources
a c 1130 U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 5:55:57 PM

How are you able to run AMD and Nvidia in the same system?
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 5:57:25 PM

IronOxide said:

I recently bought an EVGA GTX 660 SC as a final purchase for my current rig before building a brand new system in a year or two.

My system is as follows:

C2Q Q9950
AMD RADEON 5770 1GB

My problem is when i place my new card into the primary pcie 2.0 slot im getting the classic three beeps to signify no GFX present, but the card will boot into windows with a blank screen(the sound stutters tho).
Im currently running the EVGA card in the pcie2 slot which is v2.0 but only x4. The evga card works fine in that slot(benches 3dmark11 with 6k score) but i have to have the 5770 installed in the pcie1 v2.0 x16 slot.
if i try the config with the radeon in the x4 and the evga in the primary i get the same issue with windows loading with a blank screen and the stuttering sound.

Its obviously a motherboard issue, but i was wondering if anyone else has had the same issues and knows how to fix the problem. I really dont want to spend all that money to have to bottleneck a card

Oxide

Also it wouldnt hurt if you got better hardware to get better performance ddr2 and your cpu is a bit outdated but once you get the 660 in a new rig or updated your gaming would run ALOT smoother
October 5, 2012 6:24:53 PM

17seconds said:
How are you able to run AMD and Nvidia in the same system?

Im not running them in Xfire or SLI, im running them as two independent cards, my motherboard has two pcie x16 and one pcie x4(the x4 being the same format as the x16s).

Im only using the RAD 5770 to post the machine, once windows boots the EVGA card kicks in. ITs a very strange going on, and i really want to work out what the problem is.

Oxide
a c 1130 U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 7:09:41 PM

IronOxide said:
Im not running them in Xfire or SLI, im running them as two independent cards, my motherboard has two pcie x16 and one pcie x4(the x4 being the same format as the x16s).

Im only using the RAD 5770 to post the machine, once windows boots the EVGA card kicks in. ITs a very strange going on, and i really want to work out what the problem is.

Oxide

I'm actually assuming that is your problem. As far as I know, it's not possible to run two sets of video drivers on a PC. Unless I am completely in the dark on this, I would uninstall the 5770 and all the AMD drivers, then reinstall the latest 306.23 Nvidia drivers and run just the GTX 660 solo.
October 5, 2012 7:25:28 PM

17seconds said:
I'm actually assuming that is your problem. As far as I know, it's not possible to run two sets of video drivers on a PC. Unless I am completely in the dark on this, I would uninstall the 5770 and all the AMD drivers, then reinstall the latest 306.23 Nvidia drivers and run just the GTX 660 solo.

Thats the problem, i removed all the drivers and then turned off my machine. Removed the HD 5770, installed the GTX 660 and it wont POST. using two differant cards in a machine is fine as long as you only use one card at a time. Im not using dual moniters.
I know there is nothing wrong with the card as ive just left a game of BF3 running it as max settings for an hour with no less then 35fps.

I just need to find out why the GTX 660 is not posting.

Oxide
a c 1130 U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 7:43:02 PM

Could be a problem with the PCIe slot. Did the 5770 show video and game in the primary slot?
October 5, 2012 8:34:10 PM

17seconds said:
Could be a problem with the PCIe slot. Did the 5770 show video and game in the primary slot?

The 5770 worked absolutly fine for a year and still does, as its still plugged into the slot. I can move my dvid cable over to the card and play anytime.

it very well maybe a problem with the pcie slot but i want to exhaust all avenues before doing anything drastic.

Oxide
October 5, 2012 10:31:19 PM

Ok, i have managed to get the GTX 660 working in pcie2, but the card is only running v.1.1 x4 due to the slot limitations.

Still cant get it to post in the pcie1 V2.0 x16.

This is really starting to get frustrating

Oxide
a c 1130 U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 11:10:03 PM

I know you want to get the most out of your card, but there's not going to be any performance difference whatsoever between x4 and x16.

So are you just going by your board specs on the PCIe bandwidth, or are you checking it with GPU-Z?
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 11:21:53 PM

Did you move the GTX 660 into the first x16 slot before trying to boot the machine after you removed the 5770? Most boards won't expect the primary video card to be in anything but the first x16 slot.
a c 128 U Graphics card
October 5, 2012 11:49:38 PM

aicom said:
Did you move the GTX 660 into the first x16 slot before trying to boot the machine after you removed the 5770? Most boards won't expect the primary video card to be in anything but the first x16 slot.

that's something I have ran into in the past. there may be a BIOS setting to point to which PCI-e slot you want to be main.

I have ran 2 different cards in the past. what's changed now I don't know. perhaps nvidi's new software won't allow both to help stop the physx hack ?

ignore the buy new set up suggestion. I still use Q9550 AND IT RUNS EVERYTHING JUST FINE. only ever had to keep up with the graphics ( new cards )
October 6, 2012 12:15:37 AM

ok, thanks for all the help guys, i have solved the problem. I found a beta bios on the internet. Not only does the GTX 660 work but it has also fixed a problem with the cpu temp miss reporting :)  . So its all gravy.

Must have been an incompatibility issue with the bios firmware.

Oxide
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 12:49:05 AM

IronOxide said:
ok, thanks for all the help guys, i have solved the problem. I found a beta bios on the internet. Not only does the GTX 660 work but it has also fixed a problem with the cpu temp miss reporting :)  . So its all gravy.

Must have been an incompatibility issue with the bios firmware.

Oxide

Glad you got the problem resolved man good luck
January 18, 2014 3:15:41 PM

IronOxide said:

My system is as follows:

C2Q Q9950
AMD RADEON 5770 1GB

Oxide

I have the same problem which bios version you have installed?

thx