U3 SCSI HDD

G

Hi all,

Just taken delivery of two IBM Ultrastar 18.2Gb ultra3 SCSI HDD's. Got them from a guy who got them from a guy who wanted to go back to IDE for whatever reason, they look like new, maybe he couldn't configure them. Cost me $125 USD each, date of manufacture is June 2001, made by IBM in Hungary.

All I have to do now is install them and I will have plenty of questions then.

Actually now I have finished bragging' I do have a question:
(Edited>)
After much research and hours of reading I have a question for the guru's....

I have both drives set up on the one terminated 68pin LVD cable with four connectors inline connected into the LVD (U3-160) port on an Adaptec 29160 card, this is where I get lost- I have the boot drive "0" on the last connector on the cable before the terminator without a jumper, set to "0" by default or something, is this right?

(Both drives are set to "Auto spin" by jumper ~ six other choices available here which I have tried and not really known what they are all about).

The 2nd drive is next on the cable towards the card and I have set the jumper to "1", what gets me is why the non-boot drive "1" is spinning/warming when Iam not even using it?
It seems to get warmer while the boot/main drive "0" is working harder, how can I stop this and still have the drive recognized and at call on demand through windows as a separate drive for storage etc?

When I started the drives for the first time one had a clean W98se o/s installed and the other had nothing at all, I would assume he never used them other than that. Since then I have successfully formatted the drives and copied my o/s and files from the IDE drive across using Disk manager2000, and I am very impressed with the performance so far.

Thanks people for any tips......

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 11/30/01 09:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Ok I will simplify the question.
I need to know why one SCSI disk runs with the other no matter what on the same ribbon cable?
(It isn't raid either).

Thanks again. :smile:

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hi. your scsi drive is controlled by software when it shuts down while you are working on your pc. as you know you can change those settings in power management. most of the heat is generated by the spindle, not the head. the heat wont decrease the performance and the shortening of its life is minute.

G

Ok thanks a heap for your reply,
My o/s is running off the "0" Scsi HDD..

"Power management" as in Scsi boot/detect before o/s starts?
So I gather any drive on this cable/ribbon will spin continuously regardless?
Its good to know the heat won't do anything dramatic, not a major concern anyway with almost the full five-year warrantee still remaining.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

G

sheesh, here i was thinkin a jumper may do it, but hey thats cool.