neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Okay, my system has been running stable and fine for the past year and a half. Yesterday, however, my mom used it and forgot to shut it down. Not a big deal as I've left the system running overnight before without any issues. Unfortunately, when I got home, the system was off. I pressed the power button, but nothing happened. System was lifeless.

So I went and did the following (system still fully assembled):
1) swapped the power and reset buttons - no response
2) used another power cord - no response
3) tried another power outlet (was using UPS) - no response
4) gave up for the night

Now I tried it with everything disconnected from the motherboard except the CPU and HSF. Still nothing; the system is completely dead. I suspect it's the PSU and not the MoBo, but not sure how I can be certain. I definitely don't think it's the CPU.

I have an Asus P8P67-Pro MoBo and Antec TP-750 PSU. i5-2500k with a Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B. I also tried resetting the BIOS with no success. There is power going into the MoBo as the green LED on the MoBo is lit. Also have speaker that gives no beep when trying to power on.

spaceace1014

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
If the fans aren't spinning do one last thing. with it plugged in and the PSU connected touch the two contacts on the motherboard that related to the power switch with a screw driver. This will verify without a doubt its not the button. If that doesn't work swap the PSU.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I'm going to borrow my brother's PSU tomorrow. I don't think it's the switches. Tested it with another switch and still nothing happening. Could be MoBo then? Won't know for sure until I use the other PSU.

Thanks for the help.

Kiowa789

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012
Question, why don't you interrogate your mother a bit before asking us? I understand if you are trying to be polite to her first, but at least ask if she did anything before hand.

Anyway, sounds like a dead power supply, normally, even with a fried mobo, fans will spin, its the PSU.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

I already did. She only uses it for internet. When she was done, she just forgot to power down the system. That's all.

That's what I'm suspecting. First build and this is the first major issue I've encountered.

I don't have any paper clips. Just small paper binder clips. I forgot to borrow one from work. Also my brother has an Antec power supply tester he's digging out for me to use.

Thanks again.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait. We rushed our cat to emergency. Laboured breathing and the vet withdrew milky fluid from the chest cavity. Staying for overnight observation. Awaiting for results from the tests as well. :(

mbjones79

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
I noticed you didn't mention that you checked the power switch on the back of the PSU. Flip it and try to start the computer again.

Obviously your mom didn't switch out the power button and reset button on your mobo, and as you said leaving a computer on over night won't cause a computer to shut down and never come back on. There are a lot of ways that that switch could have been flipped either on accident or on purpose and you not know about it (especially if your cat is anything like mine).

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

We wished and prayed so hard for that. But his condition worsened to the point where there was no alternative. We had to put our little buddy to sleep. His name was tiger and the cat in my avatar. I truly miss him. :'(

Actually, you cannot accidentally flip off the power switch with my box. I have a Raven RV-02 case. You need to pop the lid off to get to the power switch. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Just to take my mind off things I tested the PSU with the power supply tester. It showed no issues with the PSU. So I tried my brother's PSU and it displayed the same symptoms. Failure to power on. So it narrows it down to the MoBo.. I tried the screwdriver method and still not working. So not the switches.

Will contact Asus about warranty on board. It's only a year and a half. I think I'm still covered.

Thanks all.

Mattkov

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I know it sounds stupid but something similar happened to me last year on my pc It wasn't turning on so I tought that the psu was dead but I realized that my wall plug had fried o_O may wanna look we never know :p

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Strong suspicion it's a MoBo failure. Reason being the connected fan on the MoBo also fails to spin. If the fan spun, I would suspect the CPU.

Already tried a different power outlet and power cord. Also my rig is connected to a UPS. It's still a no go. I used an Antec PSU tester and it showed my PSU had no faults. Everything is still within tolerance. Tried another PSU and displayed same symptoms. So not PSU, power cord, outlet or UPS.

Contacted Asus and they gave the same troubleshooting steps I performed. If it still fails, they suggest submitting a RMA request for the motherboard. Which I just did. Now have to wait for RMA approval.

Thanks. I am sure of that too. But still find it hard. He's my first cat.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Update: turned out to be a fault in the MoBo. Just got a refurbished replacement board. So far everything is working again. Just need to update the BIOS and OC again. Stock settings are bad; chugging 240w with vcore avg of 1.3v! I can squeeze 4.3GHz with that voltage. Unfortunately that's my CPU limit before hitting the wall.

Happy Holidays and thanks for the input. :)