Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How much power will i need for two 6870s in crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2012 8:06:24 PM

Hello,
Hi there Im currentl using an extreme gear psu which is crossfire ready but Im running a single 6870 and I just bought another one and will also be using a 8800 gts for physx. Should I get a new psu before even adding the 8800 alpha dog edition into my sstm. I hear the extreme gear psu's are shitty so Im curious as to what to dfo\

More about : power 6870s crossfire

Best solution

October 6, 2012 12:59:02 AM

You probably need a new power supply if you want to run 3 video cards simultaneously. The HD 6870 uses 158 Watts, the 8800GTS uses a little more than 100 Watts I believe, Nvidia's website isn't saying anything about the power draw for that card. That's around 420 Watts in total just for GPUs. You need a high quality 750 Watt PSU at minimum to pull off a configuration like that.

Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and XFX are among the better brands for power supplies. 750 Watt units will be a bit on the pricier side though, but that's the only way you can safely run that Crossfire setup with a dedicated PhysX card.
October 13, 2012 10:03:45 PM

Supernova1138 said:
You probably need a new power supply if you want to run 3 video cards simultaneously. The HD 6870 uses 158 Watts, the 8800GTS uses a little more than 100 Watts I believe, Nvidia's website isn't saying anything about the power draw for that card. That's around 420 Watts in total just for GPUs. You need a high quality 750 Watt PSU at minimum to pull off a configuration like that.

Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and XFX are among the better brands for power supplies. 750 Watt units will be a bit on the pricier side though, but that's the only way you can safely run that Crossfire setup with a dedicated PhysX card.

Yeah I dont care about price really. And I dont neccessarily need the phys-x card. Im just wondering with all the stuff I have in my case if it will be able to be sufficient enough with the psu i have now. I know xtreme gear is shitty but I just wanted to make sure before I go adding the cards in and fry it. I know the alpha dog card 8800gts draws about 101watta ttl and I thought the hd 6870 draws around 151 at load and my i7-2600k oc'd to 4.4 draws around 111-114w plus I have a blu ray burner a dvd burner a barrage of fans 11 in ttl an h50 from corsair and 4x4gb Kingston hyper-x genesis at 1.65volts a piece I also have the sabretooth z77 which makes good use of power phasing but Im still not sure . By my calculations. the 700 would just be enough but where its an xtreme gear psu, I believe that people say its a glorified 550 or 600 tops. I wish I knew for sure. I have had no issues yet but I also dont wanna run into any. I was thinking about a Rosewill 1000 watt psu. They're cheap enough and that should be more than enough power even from a cheaper brand like Rosewill but I also like the Corsair AX 1200 but I dont think I will ever need that much even with my water cooling setup Im making I dont think I would ever use 1200. I j7ust want to find a happy medium without blowing a shitload of money. Thx for your answer though
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 10:05:38 PM

Best answer selected by inthedark1980.
m
l
October 14, 2012 5:11:36 AM

I would go with a lower wattage from a higher quality brand than a higher wattage from a lesser brand. You probably won't need much more than 750 to 800 Watts. In any case a lot of the lower end brands do tend to overstate the wattages, that Rosewill 1000 watt power supply may just be a glorified 750 watt unit. You don't really need to go up to 1200 watts, not unless you want to do triple or quad Crossfire with the PhysX card, and throw in a large RAID array too.
m
l
!