Sign in with
Your question

PC powers off when 3rd hard drive or optical drive connected

Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2012 2:54:38 AM

I have a puzzling problem. I build a PC about 3 weeks ago, and everything was working just fine. Here is the configuration:

GA-Z77X-UD5H
Core i7-3770k
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX 650
2x SSD SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III
Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 2TB 7200RPM
Lite-On Bluray writer
No discrete graphics
No overclocking yet, all factory setting.

2 days ago, it started powering off, suddenly, like when you plug it out of the wall socket. It was at random points after boot up, and happened in both Windows 8 and Mountain Lion I have installed on the second SSD. It seems to be getting worse. Now, two days later, it will not even get into the OS.
1) I first though that I had a heat problem, but the temperatures were just fine (high 30's). I reapplied the thermal grease just in case but that did not help.
2) When I disconnected everything except for the Windows SSD, the PC works just fine.
3) When I connected the second SSD, still no problem
4) When I connected the hard drive, the PC started shutting down. Even when I just connect the power only (no SATA cable).
5) I thought it was the hard drive, but the optical drive is doing the same! Naturally with the hard drive disconnected again.

The closest I found in forums as a possible problem was a weak PSU, but this one is like twice as strong than needed and when I am working just with the 2 SSDs, I can load the CPU to 100% and the PC holds just fine.

I tried to reload the BIOS to defaults and to clear CMOS, but no improvement. Help!
November 28, 2012 3:14:49 AM

Time to RMA ur PSU.
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:44:00 AM

Thanks, I guess that is the most likely cause.
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2012 12:51:32 PM

Did you check the voltage at the wall outlet? Did you try a different wall outlet on a different circut? My guess is a low voltage problem , have you checked the power connectors on the hard drive and optical drives for correct voltage?
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:55:57 PM

knightdog56 said:
Did you check the voltage at the wall outlet? Did you try a different wall outlet on a different circut? My guess is a low voltage problem , have you checked the power connectors on the hard drive and optical drives for correct voltage?

I don't have a multimeter, but have tried a different outlet with no help. The problem has started occuring even without the disc or optical drive connected.
As fo the internal voltage, wouldn't that be still a problem with the power supply?
m
l
!