Windows XP SP2

I was prompted to download SP2 for Windows XP
Professional by the MS Windows XP automatic update
service, so I did. Upon completion a window popped up
stating:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have
been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain
system stability Windows must restore the original
version of these files.

The network location from which the files should be
copied, C:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386/controls.man is
not available. Contact your system administrator or
insert Windows XP SP2 sourcefiles now."

Then the upgrade completed and my computer re-booted.
But when my computer re-booted the optical wheelmouse was
inoperative (it didn't even light up). Also, there was
no sound -- the sound test icons appeared to work, but no
sound came out of the speakers (which are working). FYI,
I was navigating everywhere at this point with must my
keyboard -- what a pain.

Thinking there was a newer version of the mouse driver I
used the keyboard to navigate to one or two MS download
sites. First I downloaded the current optical wheelmouse
driver. When it got to the point of installing it said I
already had installed the most current driver and the
installation stopped.

Thinking there might be a bug in the new driver, I went
to the knowledge base and researched XP mouse drivers and
found a reference to a problem with SP1 and the USB
mouse -- the article recommended installing a patch
(822603?), which I tried to download. But it said I
already had more recent drivers for my mouse and wouldnot
proceed.

My mouse isn't even being recognized -- the cursor just
sits in the middle of the screen and the mouse itself
doesn't light up.

If you have a recommended solution could you please e-
mail me directly at murphy005@comcast.net or
pmurphy@eagleeyeinc.com?

Thanks!!

Jerry