My first build questions

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
I've purchased most of my components, but have some questions about the best OS to use with them for mostly multitasking, social networking, streaming audio, watching DVD's, Photoshop, website maintenance, and extensive browser use for research and have most of this going at the same time for the most part. I do mild gaming, mostly stuff like Myst. I've got XP Pro on my dying machine and don't know squat about how Windows 7 or 8 would compare. I like XP and have very limited use w/ Windows 7 @ work and have not been impressed w/ where Windows 8 is going.

Intel i7-2600k
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
Corsair WC H-100
Corsair DD3 1600 32 GB
Corsair 750W TX750 V2 R

Still deciding on a vid card and case, so suggestions on those would be helpful as well. Vid card $150 - 250, case $150 +/- that will fit this stuff.. I've checked out the Corsair 500R and it seems it will work, just want to make sure the mid-tower will accommodate my stuff and that the H-100 WC will fit in the top fan enclosure as a Newegg vid showed; they just set it in the top enclosure.

Also, is there a good book or site or links that you'd recommend on how to put it all together? My concerns are with installing the CPU, hooking up all the electrical stuff correctly, and hooking up the WC.

You need a 64 bit OS

In some ways Win 7 64 bit OEM is a better choice for you. For starters it can play a DVD which windows 8 cant do without additional software

You could also get 8 , but most people with a desk top computer will want to customize it a lot .Like adding a start button and unloading all the mostly useless metro apps which all run full screen and prevent you from multitasking

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Suggestions on purchasing retail or oem? I read if you get oem you have to call in to MS each time you reinstall the OS on your computer. Is this true. The cheapest retail I found so far is $224. Anyone have a better deal elsewhere they know of? Definitely doing 64 bit Does XP have 64 bit? Thanks for your perspectives!

the licensing is different for 7 and 8

If you buy oem 7 it is not allowed to be moved from one set of hardware to another .
Retail 7 can be installed on new hardware after you have uninstalled it from the first computer it was on

Win8 doesnt have this distinction . There is no retail version

I would always buy OEM anyway . Its the exact same thing , and the computer is always going to need an OS

Win 8 is cheaper , but doesnt include media center or dvd playback . You can buy them as extras to download

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Some other questions have come up as I do more research. I was watching a youtube vid of a guy who was doing a built going over his components. He had this dual port raid host adapter, talking about using several HD's and that there wasn't enough SATA ports on his MB. I have a P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3, planning on getting an SSD & HDD drive. Are there other things I will be using in my build that will require these SATA ports. Here's what is listed for the board under storage and am assuming (?) this is what he was talking about:

Intel® Z68 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Support Intel® Smart Response Technology on 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family
Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *3
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue
JMicron® JMB362 controller : *3
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red