Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pin Converter Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2012 10:23:10 PM

Ive got a problem with the Pins on my PSU going to my GPU. I run a XFX 6790 @150watts and it has one 6pin connector port on it to supply power. The power supply itself has an extra 2 connectors off to the side for anything that may require 8pins. I think my GPU isnt getting quite enough power because it keeps telling me the "Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" so I figured Id get a converter so that I can take the 8pins my PSU has and convert it to a six pin so my GPU is getting all the proper power my PSU can put out

Would that even work since my PSU can be a 6 or 8 pin as is?
Im very alliterate when it comes to power supplies! Plz help!

More about : pin converter problems

Best solution

October 5, 2012 10:56:31 PM

It's not going to work.

The two pin part of the (6+2)-pin PCIe power connector does not supply extra power. It's a Sense1 and ground wire pair that when plugged into a card that has an 8-pin PCIe power connector tells the card that it is allowed to draw up to 150 Watts from the PCI Express supplementary power connector. If that two pin portion is left unplugged then the card is being told that it can only draw a maximum of 75 Watts from the PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The XFX HD-679X-ZRFC seemed to have a higher than normal failure rate with many reporting the same crashing problem that you're having.
October 5, 2012 11:15:11 PM

Thats what a friend of mine told me. So wouldnt that cause it to not work properly if the card is being taxed to much?
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2012 11:19:40 PM

Coputernewbie said:
Thats what a friend of mine told me. So wouldnt that cause it to not work properly if the card is being taxed to much?

Yes.

It's an XFX design decision and a bad one at that.

AMD's Reference Design Radeon HD 6790 Card even had two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors.
m
l
October 5, 2012 11:21:02 PM

Okay then. Thanks! Would I have to buy a new card that can support 8 pins or is there a way to fix the problem another way?
m
l
October 5, 2012 11:23:50 PM

Coputernewbie said:
Okay then. Thanks! Would I have to buy a new card that can support 8 pins or is there a way to fix the problem another way?

You can't fix it. That is the way XFX intentionally designed the card.

A new card is your only option.
m
l
October 5, 2012 11:24:42 PM

Thank you for the help Ko!!
m
l
October 5, 2012 11:37:34 PM

One more thing. If I were to get that 8 to 6 pin converter would that give me the 150watts since all 8 pins are being converter? Just double checking.
m
l
October 5, 2012 11:44:37 PM

Coputernewbie said:
One more thing. If I were to get that 8 to 6 pin converter would that give me the 150watts since all 8 pins are being converter?

No it still won't work.

The limitation is still designed into that graphics card's power circuit.

If you were to bypass the designed power draw limitation you will still be faced with the components that are spec'd for the lower power consumption. Forcing those components to try and handle the extra power will cause their failure (i.e. burn out). It may also exceed the current that the circuit traces on the graphics card's circuit board are designed to handle and will burn them out.
m
l
October 5, 2012 11:50:22 PM

Best answer selected by Coputernewbie.
m
l
!