compact head (tripod)

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 11, 2005 1:32:36 AM

I picked up a Manfrotto 3021 PRO tripod with a 3047 head Saturday. I did
all my research online, and I ended up scrambling to get to Showcase
Photo in Atlanta 10 min. before closing time. I had to call while
enroute to ask them to have it ready.

I'm very pleased with both, but I'm worried that the head is a bit bulky
and heavy. I would have done more shopping in store, but I need it
Monday for a short visit to some local falls with some family and sorta
planned this last-minute. I was originally looking at the 329RC4
low-profile head that was about 1 lb lighter, but no one had it and some
said it was a invalid model number.

I'm just curious what others use for a portable head for short hikes. I
love this setup; I'm just wondering if I should supplement it with a
light-weight head for hiking.

Thanks,
Randy.

More about : compact head tripod

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 4:13:19 AM

"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> writes:

> I picked up a Manfrotto 3021 PRO tripod with a 3047 head Saturday. I
> did all my research online, and I ended up scrambling to get to
> Showcase Photo in Atlanta 10 min. before closing time. I had to call
> while enroute to ask them to have it ready.
>
> I'm very pleased with both, but I'm worried that the head is a bit
> bulky and heavy. I would have done more shopping in store, but I need
> it Monday for a short visit to some local falls with some family and
> sorta planned this last-minute. I was originally looking at the 329RC4
> low-profile head that was about 1 lb lighter, but no one had it and
> some said it was a invalid model number.
>
> I'm just curious what others use for a portable head for short
> hikes. I love this setup; I'm just wondering if I should supplement it
> with a light-weight head for hiking.

On my 3021 legs I'm using a Bogen 168 ball head (not in the current
catalog that I can find; looks bigger than any of the current models)
which I'm pretty happy with. I occasionally consider wanting the 3047
on those legs (I've got a 3047 on my bigger legs, 3050), but I haven't
actually ever bothered to move it over. But it would make setting up
verticals, in particular, *much* easier.
April 11, 2005 7:35:38 AM

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> On my 3021 legs I'm using a Bogen 168 ball head (not in the current
> catalog that I can find; looks bigger than any of the current models)
> which I'm pretty happy with. I occasionally consider wanting the 3047
> on those legs (I've got a 3047 on my bigger legs, 3050), but I haven't
> actually ever bothered to move it over. But it would make setting up
> verticals, in particular, *much* easier.

I guess I was afraid of a ball head. I played with one once; admittedly
a long time ago and on a cheap system. It felt clumsy and unstable.

I'm going to see how it goes tomorrow with this setup. I'm afraid it's
going to be difficult because it feels top-heavy and off-balance on my
shoulders while the tripod by itself is ok. It seems like it may be
problematic on longer hikes or over uneven terrain. If so, I'll probably
go play with some balls (482 or 484 ?). I also just noticed the 3437,
that I somehow missed before. It's about as light-weight as a ball, but
a bit more expensive... I've already spent more than I intended. Not
that I would take it back. ;)

Randy.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:44:18 AM

"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote in message
> I picked up a Manfrotto 3021 PRO tripod with a 3047 head Saturday. I did
> all my research online, and I ended up scrambling to get to Showcase
> Photo in Atlanta 10 min. before closing time. I had to call while
> enroute to ask them to have it ready.
>
> I'm very pleased with both, but I'm worried that the head is a bit bulky
> and heavy. I would have done more shopping in store, but I need it
> Monday for a short visit to some local falls with some family and sorta
> planned this last-minute. I was originally looking at the 329RC4
> low-profile head that was about 1 lb lighter, but no one had it and some
> said it was a invalid model number.
>
> I'm just curious what others use for a portable head for short hikes. I
> love this setup; I'm just wondering if I should supplement it with a
> light-weight head for hiking.

I am looking at the same legs with the 322RC2 grip action ball head. It's
very light, only about 1.5 lbs. I've played with it in the store, but never
used one. Seems very sturdy, but I need to take my biggest lens in and try
it before I buy one. I have an older 300mm f4 that weighs a ton, so I want
to make sure it will support it well.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 12:41:07 PM

Randy W. Sims wrote:
> I picked up a Manfrotto 3021 PRO tripod with a 3047 head Saturday. I did
> all my research online, and I ended up scrambling to get to Showcase
> Photo in Atlanta 10 min. before closing time. I had to call while
> enroute to ask them to have it ready.
>
> I'm very pleased with both, but I'm worried that the head is a bit bulky
> and heavy. I would have done more shopping in store, but I need it
> Monday for a short visit to some local falls with some family and sorta
> planned this last-minute. I was originally looking at the 329RC4
> low-profile head that was about 1 lb lighter, but no one had it and some
> said it was a invalid model number.
>
> I'm just curious what others use for a portable head for short hikes. I
> love this setup; I'm just wondering if I should supplement it with a
> light-weight head for hiking.

A local retailer sells the 190CL legs with 486RC2 ball head as a
package. I picked one up a while back and really like it. The ball
head I find far more convenient than a standard pan/tilt, and it has a
very nice quick-release plate setup.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0514-3, 04/10/2005
Tested on: 4/11/2005 1:41:05 AM
April 12, 2005 9:12:41 PM

Steve Gavette wrote:
> "Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote in message
>>I'm just curious what others use for a portable head for short hikes. I
>>love this setup; I'm just wondering if I should supplement it with a
>>light-weight head for hiking.
>>

> I am looking at the same legs with the 322RC2 grip action ball head. It's
> very light, only about 1.5 lbs. I've played with it in the store, but never
> used one. Seems very sturdy, but I need to take my biggest lens in and try
> it before I buy one. I have an older 300mm f4 that weighs a ton, so I want
> to make sure it will support it well.

I'm definately going to be looking for a supplemental head for longer
hikes. I love this setup, but carrying the legs with head attached on my
back is unstable for long or uneven hikes. Carrying it unattached,
seperately is not really a good option when carrying a camera around
your neck and a camera bag for other lenses and accessories.

So, I'll be going back to the camera shop to try out other options for
cases where I have to carry it over longer distances. I'll take a look
at the 322 and some of the under 1 lb options.

Thanks,
Randy.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:02:40 PM

Steve Gavette wrote:

> I am looking at the same legs with the 322RC2 grip action ball head. It's
> very light, only about 1.5 lbs. I've played with it in the store, but never
> used one. Seems very sturdy, but I need to take my biggest lens in and try
> it before I buy one. I have an older 300mm f4 that weighs a ton, so I want
> to make sure it will support it well.

My personal opinion of grip action heads is that a) they tire your hand
out quickly (it takes a good squeeze to release the ball) and b) there
is considerable paralax when you rotate from landscape to portrait
orientation.

Having said that, the new design (322RC2) looks a lot smarter and will
keep the mass closer to the center of the reipod.
(old style: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/188063.jpg )

I'm not sure that it won't interfere with the top of the pod in some
orientations (eg. if the grip is down towards the legs).

If you look at:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.ph...

It would seem that the grip can't go down on the right, so portrait
orientation would be opposite side (shutter release at top). That would
be okay for most cases, I guess.

YMMV. I definitely recomend you try before you buy.

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:20:52 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Steve Gavette wrote:
>
> > I am looking at the same legs with the 322RC2 grip action ball head. It's
> > very light, only about 1.5 lbs. I've played with it in the store, but never
> > used one. Seems very sturdy, but I need to take my biggest lens in and try
> > it before I buy one. I have an older 300mm f4 that weighs a ton, so I want
> > to make sure it will support it well.
>
> My personal opinion of grip action heads is that a) they tire your hand
> out quickly (it takes a good squeeze to release the ball) and b) there
> is considerable paralax when you rotate from landscape to portrait
> orientation.
>
> Having said that, the new design (322RC2) looks a lot smarter and will
> keep the mass closer to the center of the reipod.
> (old style: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/188063.jpg )
>
> I'm not sure that it won't interfere with the top of the pod in some
> orientations (eg. if the grip is down towards the legs).
>
> If you look at:
> http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.ph...
>
> It would seem that the grip can't go down on the right, so portrait
> orientation would be opposite side (shutter release at top). That would
> be okay for most cases, I guess.

look at
http://www.samys.com/product.php?ItemNo=SLIK618210

> YMMV. I definitely recomend you try before you buy.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> -- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:26:11 AM

> Having said that, the new design (322RC2) looks a lot smarter and will
> keep the mass closer to the center of the reipod.
> (old style: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/188063.jpg )
>
> I'm not sure that it won't interfere with the top of the pod in some
> orientations (eg. if the grip is down towards the legs).

I was just thinking of getting that exact head, but for use on a monopod
rather than a tripod. I figure the grip action will fit in well there,
where I'll be more interested in pointing the camera where I want it than
in surgical precision. But I haven't actually used the head, so I'm still
not entirely sure my idea will fit in with reality.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

On 10/04/2005 9:32 PM, Randy W. Sims wrote:

> I'm just curious what others use for a portable head for short hikes. I
> love this setup; I'm just wondering if I should supplement it with a
> light-weight head for hiking.

This one has been to a lot of remote places (not *short* hikes,
admittedly) with me over the years, still works like a charm:

Acratech Ultimate Ballhead - http://acratech.net/

This one looks interesting, and is considerably lighter:

RRS BH-25 Pro - http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:01:32 PM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>Having said that, the new design (322RC2) looks a lot smarter and will
>>keep the mass closer to the center of the reipod.
>>(old style: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/188063.jpg )
>>
>>I'm not sure that it won't interfere with the top of the pod in some
>>orientations (eg. if the grip is down towards the legs).
>

> I was just thinking of getting that exact head, but for use on a monopod
> rather than a tripod. I figure the grip action will fit in well there,
> where I'll be more interested in pointing the camera where I want it than
> in surgical precision. But I haven't actually used the head, so I'm still
> not entirely sure my idea will fit in with reality.

I've been using a ballhead on a monopod for the past few years. I
finally ordered the monopod head which tilts fore and aft, but not
sideways (you just rotate the whole pod to change orientation or let
the camera rotate in the tripod colar). I gave the ballhead to my SO
and bought her (with her money!) a set of 190 legs (on sale). I haven't
received the new head yet which is beginning to irritate me (ordered 3
weeks ago).

I usually use the monopod with my 80-200 and 300 which have collars, so
I can orient to vertical. I won't have vertical with my other lenses.

Cheers,
Alan
-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:15:56 PM

Crownfield wrote:

> look at
> http://www.samys.com/product.php?ItemNo=SLIK618210

I like Manfrottos latest idea better. The one you link to must be
terrible for paralaz when re-orienting (like the prev. version from
Manfrotto).

Having said that, I won't buy any of them.

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:15:57 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Crownfield wrote:
>
> > look at
> > http://www.samys.com/product.php?ItemNo=SLIK618210
>
> I like Manfrottos latest idea better. The one you link to must be
> terrible for paralaz when re-orienting (like the prev. version from
> Manfrotto).

for panaramics, yes.
for changing portrait / landscape, I use

http://vircen.com/rpd/albums/bracketDSCF0001.jpg

> Having said that, I won't buy any of them.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> -- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:56:07 PM

"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote in message

> I'm just curious what others use for a portable head for short hikes. I
> love this setup; I'm just wondering if I should supplement it with a
> light-weight head for hiking.

I have the same tripod (the 3221 legs though) and it is too heavy for
hiking. I would not bother to get a ball head for the 3021, since it won't
solve the weight problem of the legs.

Go to http://traveltripod.com/ and look at the lightweight tripods. I use
the Velbon 343E for hiking, and it has worked out well. The only issue I had
was that on one hike in Alaska the wind was so strong that the weight of
this tripod was just too low, and I didn't risk using it (this is an issue
with all lighter tripods, which can be worked around by weighting down the
legs (not hanging a weight on the center column!).

$65 at http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90121464
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:34:00 PM

Crownfield wrote:

> http://vircen.com/rpd/albums/bracket/DSCF0001.jpg

Thanks for the fixed link.

That's fine unless you need to switch from landscape to portrait a lot,
which is not unreasonable when shooting sports.

Or mount it all on a ball head ... which may be tour point? (I'm
actually a bit lost in this thread now... doesn't take much!).

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:31:40 PM

Paul Mitchum wrote:

> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...
> &Q=&sku=52783&is=REG>

Looks useless to me (for monopod) unless there's a forward tilt... and
even with that it would be pretty clumsy (I believe). IAC, when I use
my monopod I usually have the 80-200 or 300 mounted. Both have collars.

!