Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Failed onboard video

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2012 11:28:15 PM

I have an HP s3700y Slimline that over 4 years old. Unfortunately, it has the GeForce 6159 nForce 430 onboard graphics. After a couple of minutes everything freezes and the monitor displays fine colored lines. I purchased a graphics card to fit the low profile PCIex slot and the same thing happens to the system and monitor. Does this sound like the chipset is gone and a new mobo is in order? Thanks for any help.

More about : failed onboard video

a b Î Nvidia
October 5, 2012 11:34:24 PM

TheTemest said:
I have an HP s3700y Slimline that over 4 years old. Unfortunately, it has the GeForce 6159 nForce 430 onboard graphics. After a couple of minutes everything freezes and the monitor displays fine colored lines. I purchased a graphics card to fit the low profile PCIex slot and the same thing happens to the system and monitor. Does this sound like the chipset is gone and a new mobo is in order? Thanks for any help.

sounds like you forgot to plug the video cable into the new card or forgot to power the card on and your still using onboard gpu.
October 6, 2012 5:12:20 AM

smorizio said:
sounds like you forgot to plug the video cable into the new card or forgot to power the card on and your still using onboard gpu.

No. Video cable is plugged into the cards port and I disabled the onboard video in Bios.
Related resources

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
October 11, 2012 10:06:31 AM

the nforce chipsets will work with the older nvidia cards. some of the newer ati cards will just give you a black screen. it a chipset issue.
October 11, 2012 8:37:28 PM

So a new mobo it is then?
October 11, 2012 8:37:41 PM

Best answer selected by TheTemest.
a b Î Nvidia
October 12, 2012 5:32:05 PM

no you just have to use an nvidia gpu and not an ati card for the ext video.
!