Is the GeForce 9600 GT still viable?

Naxis

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
I'm looking to upgrade my old outdated PC, and I'm looking for a new mid-priced PC that can handle modern games. I have an Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT which is easily the best component of my current system, and actually handles modern games surprisingly well even with my very outdated PC.

The new systems I'm looking at have graphics cards such as the ATI HD 6670. My question is, should I continue using my 9600 GT or go with the new card? I know the 9600 GT is pretty old now, but looking at comparisons with the low-end cards on the market now it seems to me that it still holds up pretty well.

The 9600GT can still be adequate if you aren't pushing high resolutions and you are playing less demanding games like Source Engine titles, or Call of Duty. It will choke on more demanding games out there. It can still work as a placeholder GPU if you want to wait and save up some money to get something that would be a more significant upgrade. A 6670 with DDR5 memory is a bit faster than a 9600GT. A 6670 with DDR3 memory is actually a bit slower than the 9600GT. If you want to upgrade to something better than the 9600GT, look at something like a Radeon HD 7770 at minimum. You don't want to spend too much money for a very small performance boost.

Naxis

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Thanks great response. That's pretty much the impression I got from looking at all the specs involved. I'll probably go along the lines you suggest.