Convert router into wireless acess point help plz

tkmoney

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
hi,

im having some trouble converting a netgear wgr614v5 router into a wireless AP/switch. the idea was to extend my wireless range to my basement. i already have wired connection but would like to be able to connect via wireless also. i followed the guide at:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965/~/using-wpn824,-wgr614,-or-wgt624-routers-as-an-access-point

but cannot seem to get this working correctly. with my situation i have two devices that i wish to have connected. the device listed above (which is supposed to be the new AP) and my modem/router device a: 2wire Home Portal 1000SW. the home portal is connected to a crummy switch that goes to different computers and the basement switch. i want to take the connection going to the basement and add the netgear device on the end then have another crummy switch split from the AP device, so i can still use the wired connections.

i did everything the provided guide told me to do i connected to the netgear AP and turned DHCP off i also tried changing the ip but when i do that a page is displayed within the router that says "unable to connect" i assume the changes were made but when i try to connect to the device with either the default or new address i am not able to connect to the AP at all.

luckily the default ip of the netgear router does not conflict with one on my network so i just tried using the default with DHCP turned off, i have also tried setting the subnet of the AP to match the 2wire subnet. in either case everything seems ok. i can even use the ports on the AP as a switch but there are two problems: i still have no wireless signal coming from the AP, and when i attempt to connect to the netgear AP UI via default address i either get a netgear error telling me" the page cannot be displayed". or i get "xxx.xxx.x.x is currently managing this device". (the "x" is ip Note: i can still get a connection through the AP physical ports, but i cannot access the netgear interface). i can ping the AP and even see in in the 2wire device interface, i just cant connect to the interface.

any thoughts would be appreciated b/c im stumped!

tkmoney

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
i don't really want to do anything that extreme. the way i see it, this is possible to do without new firmware, so setting up an access point to an even older modem/router should not require an update. is this a logical/reasonable observation?

DqQd

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
here's what I did to my netgear wgt624 v4 that i was able to successfully convert to a wireless access point:

1. used a pc that i disconnected from my wired network, hooked up the wgt624 using a LAN port, (not the WAN port), then powered it up, logged in using 192.168.1.1
2. in Basic settings, i checked "use this MAC address" (the MAC address of the wgt624 is already there by default
3.In LAN setup, i entered an IP address well outside of the IP range of my main router. I used 192.168.1.99 subnet 255.255.255.0
4. I then unchecked "use router as DHCP server", and clicked "Apply". at this point I lost connection to the router, as I expected I would
5. I configured my pc as follows: set a static address 192.168.1.210 by going to control panel, network connections, local area connections, properties, scroll down and highlichgt Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), click on properties, choose “Use the following IP address: 192.168.1.210, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, click OK.
6. I restarted my pc, opened a browser and typed in the new wgt624 address http://192.168.1.99, voila!! the log in window appeared, and I was able to do the rest

believe me, this particular wgt624 was sitting in storage for the past 3 years, i tried a number of times to configure it, got into the same situation as you, until I bought a netgear WAP and found out about this step 5.

Good luck

DqQd

DqQd

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
by the way, once you are finished configuring the SSID, security keys and such on your "new" wireless access point, do not forget to reconfigure your pc back to original IP settings - i.e., "obtain an IP address automatically", if you are reconnecting your pc to your wired LAN

DqQd

DqQd

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I forgot to mention that in my main router, i limited the DHCP server to just 25 IP addresses from 192......2 to26, so 192.168.1.99 is well outside of this range

DqQd

sudipto4you

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

Hi DqQd... thanks for your information. Its very helpful.

Now, I hope you can help me out about my following situation. Please guide me step by step and I will be highly grateful to you.

I have the Wireless AccessPoint (TP-Link) installed on the roof top as I have WISP Net Connection and a CAT-5 cable is directly connected to my PC LAN port. For that reason, I can access internet only on my connected PC. But I want wifi net connection so that I can access internet on my all wifi enabled devices like my laptop, Android Tab.

I want to install a Wifi Router so that I can access internet on all devices like my laptop and android tablet as wifi connection. I have decided to buy a Wireless Router (Netgear/D-link) and I want to connect the cat-5 cable coming from the roof top wireless AccessPoint to the wifi router so that I can access internet wirelessly from anywhere in my house. Please give me the configuration process step by step so that I can connect the roof top Wireless AccessPoint to newly bought Wireless Router.

Oh, one more thing.. My configuration IP or Gateway is 192.168.1.254. Using this IP, I can login to the configuration page of TP-Link AP.