Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 660 ti 100% fan speed for long time?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2012 12:28:52 AM

my MSI 660ti twin frozr edition seems to get kinda hot when playing games, i was wondering if it would be ok to keep the fans at 100% speed for the whole time i game which could last up to about 5 hours sometimes. i was wondering if this is ok. was it designed for that?
a c 141 U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 1:13:07 AM

what is your temps?
October 6, 2012 1:54:18 AM

the highest it got was 70 at full load without the fan at 100%
Related resources
a c 535 U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 2:56:33 AM

ProfessorBAG said:

There is nothing wrong with your card or temperatures if you are gaming at 70c with the fan on Auto. The card is running exactly as it was intended. If you start messing with the fan profile, you will only add to the noise level.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 3:10:01 AM

You might want to increase the airflow in and out of your case, in hopes the card won't get to 70C
October 6, 2012 3:35:52 AM

dingo07 said:
You might want to increase the airflow in and out of your case, in hopes the card won't get to 70C

i have the side of my case open, i have some dust off that i use frequently so dust isnt really a problem

Quote:
matto17secs: There is nothing wrong with your card or temperatures if you are gaming at 70c with the fan on Auto. The card is running exactly as it was intended. If you start messing with the fan profile, you will only add to the noise level.

really? i heard that over 65C isn't good for cards. as long as it wont degrade the lifespan of the card noticeably then i'll keep the fans at 100% while gaming, cus i don't mind the noise levels
a c 535 U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 3:39:36 AM

The thermal threshold is 97c. 80c is normal and common, but it all depends on a lot of factors, including the manufacturers' preference for quiet fans/high temps vs. loud fans/low temps. MSI tends to favor loud fans/low temps.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 3:40:53 AM

Hey, that's not my quote! Edit your MSG to reflect who said that
October 6, 2012 4:12:07 AM

dingo07 said:
Hey, that's not my quote! Edit your MSG to reflect who said that

my bad, i edited it
October 6, 2012 4:22:24 AM

ProfessorBAG said:
i have the side of my case open, i have some dust off that i use frequently so dust isnt really a problem

What's your temp with the side case closed? How many intake fans do you have, what are their CFM (or at least RPM), and where are they positioned?

Best solution

a c 141 U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 4:35:54 AM

ProfessorBAG said:

70c under full load is normal for most mid-range card like yours. no need to panic. forcing the fan speed to run @ 100% all the time will most likely shorten the life span of the fan. if you dont like auto setting then you can set your fan behavior via msi after burner. sometimes manual fan profile can drive rhe temperature much lower even under full load.
October 6, 2012 4:52:14 AM

Best answer selected by ProfessorBAG.
!