Sign in with
Your question

Are the 6950's Worth the Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2012 12:57:23 AM

So are they worth it?

Currently I have a OCZ 600 Watt PSU, but planning to upgrade to a 750 or 800 watt PSU if I get these.

The games I plan to play are Battlefield 3, most likely Medal of Honor Warfighter and some other games all at Ultra settings.

If they aren't worth the crossfire, please let me know what 2 cards are worth pairing together and how much power they need. I don't really have a budget as I will just save up for it but most preferably I would like to get these during Christmas/Boxing Day time. If these cards are good paired together, let me know if a 750/800 watt PSU is good enough. Maybe even a 600 watt, but I highly doubt it. Oh final thing is I want to sort of stay in the OCZ PSU brands.

Thanks for the help!

More about : 6950 worth crossfire

October 6, 2012 1:05:07 AM

On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
Radeon HD 6950 in CrossfireX

A second card requires you to add another ~160 Watts. You need a 650+ Watt power supply unit and if you use it in a high-end system a 800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended especially if you plan on any overclocking. Source- http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_6950_cro...
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2012 1:11:38 AM

if they are 2gig cards...... yes and no. sometimes the kinks are worked out and they work fine. sometimes the performance is no better than a single card.. ( I have a pair ).

every time I go with cross fire or sli I always seem to come back to the same conclusion. Get a "best" single card and forget about running 2 cards.

TBH I don't think either team has the dual card situation fully figured out and they're just giving you what they got.

m
l
October 6, 2012 1:13:30 AM

bigcyco1 said:
On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
Radeon HD 6950 in CrossfireX

A second card requires you to add another ~160 Watts. You need a 650+ Watt power supply unit and if you use it in a high-end system a 800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended especially if you plan on any overclocking. Source- http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_6950_cro...

Well that clears up what kind of power supply I need which I'll get a probably a 900 watt because I have a high-end PC. But do you think these two cards are worth crossfire or not?
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:21:19 AM

swifty_morgan said:
if they are 2gig cards...... yes and no. sometimes the kinks are worked out and they work fine. sometimes the performance is no better than a single card.. ( I have a pair ).

every time I go with cross fire or sli I always seem to come back to the same conclusion. Get a "best" single card and forget about running 2 cards.

TBH I don't think either team has the dual card situation fully figured out and they're just giving you what they got.

Ok....so yes and no. Well I like the look of the two cards in the case, since I have a glass window on my case, but if I only go one card then I'll switch back to NVIDIA because I have always been a fan of their cards more. The only reason I am here is because my motherboard doesn't support SLI, only crossfire.
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:21:19 AM

sharpshooter_992 said:
Well that clears up what kind of power supply I need which I'll get a probably a 900 watt because I have a high-end PC. But do you think these two cards are worth crossfire or not?
Personally no i don't think it's worth it i would just get a gtx 670 or 7970GHZ get one first see if your happy with it if not buy another ;) 
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:23:57 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Personally no i don't think there worth it i would just get a gtx 670 or 7970GHZ get one first see if your happy with it if not buy another ;) 

Yes I was thinking about getting a 670 or a 680. And also was planning on getting a new PSU and liquid cooling as I'm going to do some heavy CPU overclocking. But I like the mean look of two cards in one case, it makes me feel like I have a super computer.
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:25:21 AM

sharpshooter_992 said:
Yes I was thinking about getting a 670 or a 680. And also was planning on getting a new PSU and liquid cooling as I'm going to do some heavy CPU overclocking. But I like the mean look of two cards in one case, it makes me feel like I have a super computer.
:lol:  i hear you. ;) 
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:36:51 AM

bigcyco1 said:
:lol:  i hear you. ;) 

So do you think that a single card like a 680 is better then two 6950's or what because I'm going to make my final decision soon.
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:48:30 AM

sharpshooter_992 said:
So do you think that a single card like a 680 is better then two 6950's or what because I'm going to make my final decision soon.
If i was you i would get a 670 or if you really want a 680 go for the Asus Direct CU II TOP or MSI GTX 680 Lightning but i still would get a 670 ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II TOP 2 GB if you can find it ;) 
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:52:04 AM

If you were to upgrade to another ATI card the 7970 would net you 23 more fps in 1920 HD playing metro and would drop power consumption by about 200w. Just looked at benches and calculated the difference.
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:55:02 AM

undercovernerd6 said:
If you were to upgrade to another ATI card the 7970 would net you 23 more fps in 1920 HD playing metro and would drop power consumption by about 200w. Just looked at benches and calculated the difference.
No it wouldn't 7970 draws more power than 670
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:58:37 AM

I ment if you were to crossfire you would get 50 fps and 400 watts one 7970 is 250 watts
m
l
!