Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Should I stick with Nvidia or venture out and go for Radeon

Total: 35 votes (4 blank votes)

• Nvidia
  • 41 %
  • Radeon
  • 60 %
October 6, 2012 5:15:18 AM

Im currently on deployment and when I get back home I plan on upgrading.

More about : nvidia radeon

October 6, 2012 5:31:04 AM

Both company's make great cards. My only advise is, get the most powerful card you can afford. 7970 or 680, both cards are true winners!
October 6, 2012 5:44:24 AM

^ unless, of course, you can afford the 690. There is no better card.
Related resources
October 6, 2012 5:55:41 AM

Just look for the best deal at the time.

I have had cards from both sides and can say this:

Nvidia will optimize their drivers for new games much faster than AMD will, as they likely have supported that game. They have the extra cash to do so.

AMD cards have better video driver defaults (in my opinion).
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 5:58:38 AM

Well currently AMD is dominating almost all price points.The only Nvidia cards you should consider ATM are the GTX 480 the GTX 670 and the GTX 690.In every other price point AMD has the better performing card.
October 6, 2012 6:05:49 AM

It depends how much money you want to spend. If you're looking to save a bit, i would get a 7950 because it has 3gb of gddr5, is cheap (xfx for $270 after rebate on newegg) and you can overclock the hell out of it. But if you want to get a super powerful card at stock i would probably go with a 4gb 680, which costs more than twice as much.
a c 149 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 6:06:12 AM

to me both company make great card. just buy the one that fits your budget.
October 6, 2012 6:09:32 AM

OCGL16 said:
It depends how much money you want to spend. If you're looking to save a bit, i would get a 7950 because it has 3gb of gddr5, is cheap (xfx for $270 after rebate on newegg) and you can overclock the hell out of it. But if you want to get a super powerful card at stock i would probably go with a 4gb 680, which costs more than twice as much.

I Hah at the 3 Gbs of Ram for a Video Card it wont help you game.....to be honest id wait for the new Cards they are close....once they hit the market the GTX 670/680 are going to drop Fast or go AMD to be honest you wont know the Diff.....
October 6, 2012 6:18:01 AM

Fosters said:
I Hah at the 3 Gbs of Ram for a Video Card it wont help you game.....to be honest id wait for the new Cards they are close....once they hit the market the GTX 670/680 are going to drop Fast or go AMD to be honest you wont know the Diff.....

Some games (Battlefield 3) can eat up 2gb really fast. 3gb is the next best. Also, it allows you to possibly expand into eyefinity gaming. It might just be me, but I would rather have more than i need rather than less. I do agree with you a bit though because most games run perfectly with 2gb (on 1080p).
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 85 Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 6:25:39 AM

Wait til you get home and make a choice. You may want to take a look at benchmarks for your resolution and games you like. Be aware of some bonuses you main like, like FXAA vs MLAA, 2D surround vs Eyfinity, or 3D Vision vs HD3D.
October 6, 2012 7:00:23 AM

inb4 GPU wars.

I would say at the current status of price vs performance, the AMD Radeon has won this round.

7970 GHz > 680 > 7970 > 670 > 7950 > 660 Ti/7870 GHz > 7870 > 660 > 7850 > 560 Ti.

And yes, I've taken into account the latest drivers.
October 6, 2012 7:06:20 AM

I have never used radeon products before this is why I made the poll. I like nvidia alot but I am willing to try radeon if there is a better deal out there.
October 6, 2012 7:09:19 AM

Won bah the GTX 690 is still king of the hill even with the Powercolor HD 7990, It's more of a card that says ya i got this.......and it's SIL buddy...ohh that would be sweet.
October 6, 2012 7:37:34 AM

Socom3988 said:
I have never used radeon products before this is why I made the poll. I like nvidia alot but I am willing to try radeon if there is a better deal out there.

Do you have a price range yet?
a c 149 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 9:12:33 AM

excella1221 said:
inb4 GPU wars.

I would say at the current status of price vs performance, the AMD Radeon has won this round.

7970 GHz > 680 > 7970 > 670 > 7950 > 660 Ti/7870 GHz > 7870 > 660 > 7850 > 560 Ti.

And yes, I've taken into account the latest drivers.

about that price thingy it was consumer win not amd :D  . amd wants to price their cards higher just like nvidia but obviously it does not work for them.
October 6, 2012 9:29:19 AM

Ok both company makes awesome cards.Now its the driver.In some games it can take AMD month before they can make good driver.Main example is BF3,skyrim,rage.In BF3 it took AMD month to figure out why 4xmsaa was killing framerate.In rage they failed to make a proper driver for 1 month after the game released.Same in skyrim its only after cat 12.7 AMD card can perform on par with nviida in skyrim.

So moral of the story AMD card are as good as nviida only after they make proper driver for a said game.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 9:40:32 AM

For some reason I always go with nvidia. I don't have anything against radeon and do hear a lot of good things about them, especially the price/performance ratio but until the day a nvidia card lets me down I will always be willing to pay more for their products because I have always been highly satisfied with them so far.
October 6, 2012 10:01:51 AM

OCGL16 said:
Do you have a price range yet?

i do not have a price really no ore than $400 i guess
October 6, 2012 2:02:51 PM

BigMack70 said:
Huh? :heink: 

BF3 played just fine with 4xmsaa at 7970 launch. Skyrim played just fine at 7970 launch. Didn't play rage but did hear that was a fiasco, but I heard that was bad for both sides.

AMD's drivers are fine this round. Certainly as good as Nvidia's for single-card setups. The whole "AMD's drivers are teh suck" argument that Nvidia fans love doesn't really apply anymore to single-GPU configs. AMD is still catching up on multi-GPU driver support but they're getting better there.

Skyrim ran like crap on ATI card until catlyst 12.7.I owned a 5850 before my gtx 670.Skyrim used to stutter so much on it.On my gtx 670 its so smooth.And skyrim came out before 7000 series.It took AMD 2 month to make a good stable driver for it.
October 6, 2012 2:09:01 PM

BigMack70 said:
I bought a 7970 on launch day, and I played Skyrim two days later. It ran great. Like I said, AMD's drivers are fine this round.

I have no love for AMD's 6xxx series cards - I think they're junk compared to the GTX 5xx cards - but this repeated driver whining that shows up on forums is outdated and not currently relevant.

So what?That doesn't change the fact AMD drivers were crap when skyrim came out.6000 series was then flagship.
October 6, 2012 2:15:04 PM

BigMack70 said:
So you're whining about something not relevant to the OP who will be buying a card in the future.

Ofc its relevant.OP must know how AMD didn't care about making a proper driver for skyrin for 2 month in spite of knowing its one of the biggest game ever.It happened with 6000 series it would again happen with 7000 series.Thing is that hardly any top AAA games had come out after 7000 series launch.Just wait for some top AAA game to come out.We will all see which camp makes better driver on launch day of game.LOL
October 6, 2012 2:19:19 PM

Didn't care...? You just said it took them a month to figure it out, how is that not caring?
You're assuming the company will never improve with that next statement of yours, either that or you somehow managed to develop psychic abilities.

Kindly take your fanboy-ism elsewhere. Thanks.
a c 149 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 3:40:14 PM

lol you guys better keep it in positive manner before mod step in and close this tread :non: 

to be honest that's why i tried to avoid speaking about drivers when people are asking opinion about nvidia vs ati because at some point something like this will happen.
October 6, 2012 3:48:09 PM

BigMack70 said:
No, it's not relevant. There have been no major driver issues with single card 7xxx setups. By your logic, Nvidia doesn't know how to make good graphics cards because their FX 5xxx series cards were crap, and Nvidia doesn't know how to make energy efficient cards because their GTX 4xx series was too power hungry.

"[x] was true in the past therefore [x] will be true in the future" is not a valid form of argument in the tech world at all. And it's certainly not relevant to anything right now.

Your argument is functionally equivalent to "I had a bad experience with AMD in the past, therefore AMD does now and in the future is crap". It just isn't a valid argument. Please take the green goggles elsewhere.

Also, AAA games since 7xxx series release:
Guild Wars 2
Diablo 3
Borderlands 2
Max Payne 3
Mass Effect 3

All have worked flawlessly. Also, did you know that the newest WoW expansion has buggy drivers on some Nvidia 6xx setups but not AMD 7xxx? I guess that means Nvidia's driver support is terrible. :sarcastic: 

And all those AA games runs better on nvidia card.So fail logic from you.Guild war2 is exception though.LOL
October 6, 2012 3:55:25 PM

Funny how we were talking about driver issues and problems, now you're just nitpicking on which card does better on the games.
Real cute.
!