Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Radeon 7870 OC Edition vs. AMD Radeon 7950 Stock

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2012 5:24:19 AM

Well i am going to buy a new graphics card soon and these two will be my choices:

Saphire OC editon AMD Radeon HD 7870 [Factory Overclock]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7950 [Stock]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I was wondering if itd be worth the extra $50 for the 7950. I only plan on playin on one monitor on 1080p Resolution but with Hardcore Graphically demanding games like Metro, BF3, Crysis, Crysis 2, The Witcher 2 (Good Ubersampling framerates) and Total War Shogun 2 with at least 40 frames on MAX. I also plan on playin in 3d with my 3D tv with some games which i heard cuts your frames quite a bit. :o 

For these activities which one should i get? Does the 7950 Warent the more expensive price or will i do just fine with the OC Edition 7870?

p.s. i dont really care about card manufacturers, they can be any OC Edition 7870 or Stock 7950. I just want to know the general idea
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 5:32:09 AM

I'd definitely go with the 7950. You're not going to have too much power, and for what you're wanting to do, perhaps not even enough. To pull 40 fps in 3D in BF3 @ 1080p, you'd need to be able to push 80 fps 2D, which sounds like a job for 2 7950/70s in Crossfire. So definitely go as big as you can right now, you won't regret it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 5:35:31 AM

all video cards can overclock just the oc editions are done by the factory. i would be purchasing based on the cooling solution provided as a decent hsf arrangement will be for one be quiet when you want it to be and be able to overclock with a little extra noise when u need it. so to answer your question if you wanna do 3d get the 7950 cos for 3d you need to run double the frame rates you would usually be comfortable with and you also have the extra overclocking head room. a 7870oc wont have a lot of the overclocking headroom been utilised by the factory overclock.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 5:36:47 AM

Well this is going to be a toss-up excluding price. I have a 7870 overclocked to 1250/1450 and for Metro at 1920x1080, I can't quite max out the games settings (close though) - this relates to my minimum FPS being 30 though, average of about 40-45 depending where I'm at. Crysis now, I can max out and still average around 35 FPS. All things point to an OC'd 7870 will outperform a 7950, but then again, it too has a monster headroom for overclocking. One monitor puts you more towards the 7870 crowd though, but you mentioned trying to play in 3d which presents a problem. To play 3d effectively, you'll need 120hz/120 frames per second, which is hard to achieve in many titles without really turning down details and resolution. The 7950 is indeed worth it now, given the excellent price drops, but the 7870 is a solid buy if you drop your 3d outlook. You may even need something more powerful as well as maybe a Crossfire setup to make your 3d experience the most enjoyable, unless you can live with settings turned down a good deal.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 5:41:08 AM

If having something like 38 frames is considered just missing the mark for Shogun 2, then it seems you are out of luck with the 7870OC.

I know the card you sent was a Sapphire and the one in that picture is a Gigabyte, but they are roughly comparable.

Do note though, you probably won't notice the 5 extra frames you get from the 7950, BUT, the 7870 is already OCed while the 7950 isn't.

If I were you, I would choose based on my budget. If you have the money for it, go for the 7950. Why? I divide the cost of a purchase by the number of years it will be relevant for, so if it is good for 3 years, I see it as only being less than 20 dollars more. It is a way for me to justify things I guess, but it works! :p 

Very important, I only looked up the shogun benchmark, not any other. You have my recommendation though, the 7950. (When you add 3D, you will be glad for the extra horse power)
m
l
October 6, 2012 5:42:38 AM

lol im not a super noob lol, i know wat factory overclocks are.....i just forgot to mention i will not overclock anything myself because i dont want to void the warranties nor do i want to damage my graphics card

With a Card that has a factory overclock i wont have to worry about that, this is why i said the OC 7870 and the Stock 7950 because its exactly wat i mean, since i dont plan to OC the 7950 so i was willing to buy a OC 7870 cause that seemed to be the closest to it

Anyhow lets forget about the 3D Aspect that i wrote; that was the least important part of my post :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 5:50:50 AM

HellsBadAss said:
lol im not a super noob lol, i know wat factory overclocks are.....i just forgot to mention i will not overclock anything myself because i dont want to void the warranties nor do i want to damage my graphics card

With a Card that has a factory overclock i wont have to worry about that, this is why i said the OC 7870 and the Stock 7950 because its exactly wat i mean, since i dont plan to OC the 7950 so i was willing to buy a OC 7870 cause that seemed to be the closest to it

Anyhow lets forget about the 3D Aspect that i wrote; that was the least important part of my post :lol: 

your not gonna damage it unless you start mucking round with the voltages outside of the ones provided within the driver thats why they have the preset area you can move the slider to, just keep the temps and check and your fine worst case senario it will be unstable then just back it down
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 7:15:29 AM

HellsBadAss said:

Man, I'm a day 1 overclocker. I can't even enjoy something brand new at stock before I'm pushing things to the edge to see what it can do - it's a sickness :D  .
With a factory overclocked card, and the 3d aspect out of the picture now, the 7870 is a solid buy really. The gap between a stock 7950 and a decently overclocked 7870 is virtually nothing unless somewhere down the road you start thinking of a multi-monitor setup, or a nice 2560x1600 setup, then the 7950 would have a nice advantage to it.

Edit: To put things into perspective here, the card you listed has practically no overclock on it, we're talking a 5% OC on the GPU and 4% on the memory, these cards are capable of so much more.
October 6, 2012 5:01:19 PM

Best answer selected by HellsBadAss.
m
l
!