CoolerMaster 212 plus

G-skill Ares 8 gig 1866

Radeon HD 7770

1 TB 7200 rpm

Corsair 600w PSU

NZXT fan controller

ASROCK 970 Pro3 motherboard

4 fans

ok so I did an external test boot with my CPU motherboard GPU and Ram. Everything worked fine. I got information on the screen and iot was all good. but now that Ive put it into my case and I try turning it on. it only flickers on for a second. I am really scared tbh because I am freaking out that I could have damaged something somehow =/. all you help is appreciated!!! when i plug the cord into the PSU the fan spins for a second. when I push the on switch on the PSU it spins for a second and then stops. but if i try flipping it on again it wont work. only when i plug and unplug the PSU cord......lil more info =(

HAAALLLLPPPPP

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hmm it could be PSU or MOBO. A similar thing happens if you have faulty RAM, but in that case you dont have to plug and unplug the PSU to get a 1 second boot and shutdown. Also did you make sure all the motherboard ground pin headers are in the right places and there aren't any sticking up into the bottom of the board?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I saw a similar problem when a 24 pin to 20 pin ATX adapter cable burned out on me, and suspect you may be having the problem as a result of a loose cable (probably the 24 pin ATX cable). Try disconnecting and reconnecting ALL of them.

G

I thing that you fried you psu or you're mobo! Return it to you're vendor and say thats it's DOA (dead on arrival).

GL

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I thing that you fried you psu or you're mobo! Return it to you're vendor and say thats it's DOA (dead on arrival).

GL
Great advice, starts a weeks long RMA process before even attempting to troubleshoot. Then, when the manufacturer gets it and finds that it's not broken, he can be charged a nice fee along with shipping both ways, then still not have his problem fixed.

Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about, it tends to be more harmful than helpful.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Not if he got it from Amazon

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Amazon may not charge restock fees or shipping, but it's still an awful idea to RMA as a first resort. The majority of build problems are not caused by bad hardware but by some error on the part of the builder.

I can't believe I need to say this, but you should always troubleshoot before you try to return it. Most of the time it can be fixed much more quickly than a lengthy RMA process.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Yep troubleshoot first, just like most of the earlier comments said. If you really have shorted your motherboard and killed it though, you'll have to send it back. The "lengthy RMA process" is actually very fast and ridiculously easy with Amazon.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

The "lengthy RMA process" is going to have, at minimum, about a week of shipping time. Troubleshooting for yourself typically has these things sorted in a few hours. I'd say an increase in turnaround time of around 5000% is a fairly lengthy process, no?

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
No, you print a return a return label, drop it off at UPS. Your refund is processed as soon as it ships back to Amazon. Takes a day. Nobody is saying DONT troubleshoot. DO troubleshoot. IF it fails THEN return. Which is very easy.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

So now we're talking about return for refund instead of RMA? I guess when you start an argument for no reason and come out looking silly, the only thing left to do is to try to retroactively change the terms? And hell, this is still a lengthy process. You don't even mention the need to, you know, get a replacement part? Chances are that's got to be shipped, so add a few more days to your supposed one day turnaround time. I won't even mention the fact that shipments don't often go out same day, so it's really a two day turnaround.

How important is it for you to be right and me be wrong? I gave perfectly reasonable advice, and now you're attacking every post I make to try to prove me wrong? Why? Seriously, why? You claim to agree with me, but do nothing but argue about things you brought up.

Talking about Amazon's return policy? What the *** does that have to do with anything? It's befuddling, you just keep saying crap like "But Amazon's return policy is nice, and I'm right about that, so I'm just going to harp on this one point that nobody but me is talking about because I'm right about it. Also, did I mention Amazon's return policy?"

Nobody mentioned Amazon until you did. Nobody mentioned refunds until you did. It's like you're part of some different conversation where people are talking about getting a refund from Amazon, because that's certainly not what anybody (else) is talking about here.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Since you just wrote an essay about it, clearly somebody here is talking about Amazon's return policy. Return for refund, place order for another on the same day. You can get your order the next day (with next day shipping or 2 day shipping free with prime.) That's 2 days for a refund and a replacement part. Clearly very "lengthy."

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Point to the person who mentioned it before you. Point to somebody talking about it outside the context of "what the *** are you talking about Amazon's return policy for?" And for the record, I didn't write an essay about Amazon, I wrote three and a half paragraphs about you. Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

Return for refund, place order for another on the same day. You can get your order the next day (with next day shipping or 2 day shipping free with prime.) That's 2 days for a refund and a replacement part. Clearly very "lengthy."
Yes, lengthy. Two days is 48 hours. Fixing it is two hours. That's a 2,400% increase in turnaround time. Claiming spending twenty four times longer that necessary isn't lengthy is just plain moronic. Doing so for no reason other than to tell somebody they're wrong, after claiming you agree with them, is even more so. I'd seriously recommend seeing a therapist about this textbook superiority complex you have. This kind of behavior is typically indicative of a much deeper insecurity.

Also, you're still refusing to address these key points:

1. Why are you arguing with somebody you claim to agree with? Agreement should preclude argument, and it does for people with healthy brain chemistry.
2. What does Amazon's return policy have to do with this, and why did you feel the need to bring it up over and over again, other than to arbitrarily start an argument?
3. Why are you so desperate to prove somebody wrong that you'll argue with common sense statements like "Don't RMA as a first resort."

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Like I said, troubleshoot first (reading comprehension not your strong suit?) If that fails, send it back. Sending it back is as not as huge a hassle as you're making it out to be. Amazon's return policy is relevant because it's the basis for me saying that sending it back is easy.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Not saying you said otherwise. I'm asking why you're arguing with somebody you agree with. I've said it over and over again. You just consistently ignore everything I say, then come back with more nonsense about Amazon's refund process which is completely ******* irrelevant.

If that fails, send it back. Sending it back is as not as huge a hassle as you're making it out to be.
I'm not making it out to be a huge hassle, I'm saying it takes time.

Learn. To. *******. Read.

Amazon's return policy is relevant because it's the basis for me saying that sending it back is easy.
No, Amazon's return policy is irrelevant because it's ******* irrelevant. Nobody's saying sending something back is hard. Nobody is saying you shouldn't return defective hardware. You just keep bringing it up because you can say "but I'm right about this!" Nobody's arguing with this, it simply isn't ******* relevant.

Here's a nice paraphrased version of our conversation. Maybe you can see just how batshit insane you're acting.

Me: "Troubleshoot before you RMA."
You: "Not if he got it from Amazon"
Me: "Who cares if it's Amazon, toubleshoot before you RMA."
You: "Amazon's return process doesn't take very long."
Me: "So?"
You: "Amazon's return process doesn't take very long."
Me: "So?"
You: "Amazon's return process doesn't take very long..."

And I'm sure you'll just keep going back to talking about the return process for a vendor that the OP didn't buy from and isn't considering returning to, because you're right. Who the *** cares? It's irrelevant.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Yeah so basically troubleshoot first, if it fails, send it back. It's not a big a hassle and it takes a few days (depending on where you bought it.) If you bought from Newegg brace yourself for a slog

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I'm psychic.
And I'm sure you'll just keep going back to talking about the return process for a vendor that the OP didn't buy from and isn't considering returning to, because you're right. Who the *** cares? It's irrelevant.
Just keep on arguing that same point nobody is talking about, because to do anything else would be to admit that you were wrong and you started this whole pointless argument for no reason other than to tell somebody they were wrong. I'll just keep picking apart your attempts to get the last word in.

The "never admit being wrong" type are so much fun to screw with. Always paint yourselves into corners because you have to argue with everything, then when it becomes clear this isn't going your way you either try to change the subject (check) or pretend it never happened and refuse to acknowledge the point your opponent is making (check, check, a thousand times check).

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
What exactly am I wrong about again? That you should troubleshoot first? That if it fails you should return it? That returns with Amazon are easy and take two days? Correct me if I'm wrong but those things are all true, so not really sure what you're taking issue with.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

About the relevance of your argument, for one thing. Though "wrong" here was a generalization about your behavior and not an indication of the specific behaviors I've observed. That's the whole "you suck at reading comprehension" thing that keeps cropping up.

That you should troubleshoot first?
Actually, that's what I said. Here's your response, quoted in full.
Not if he got it from Amazon

That if it fails you should return it?
This is known as a straw man argument. I've never once in this thread, or any other, claimed that defective hardware should not be returned.

That returns with Amazon are easy and take two days?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irrelevant

Correct me if I'm wrong but those things are all true, so not really sure what you're taking issue with.
Not sure what I'm taking issue with? How about I go and quote myself where I stated this clearly, in plain English, in every post. If, after reading these, you still "don't understand" I'd recommend seeking assistance with your profound learning disability.

Just keep on arguing that same point nobody is talking about, because to do anything else would be to admit that you were wrong and you started this whole pointless argument for no reason other than to tell somebody they were wrong.

Not saying you said otherwise. I'm asking why you're arguing with somebody you agree with. I've said it over and over again. You just consistently ignore everything I say, then come back with more nonsense about Amazon's refund process which is completely ******* irrelevant.

How important is it for you to be right and me be wrong? I gave perfectly reasonable advice, and now you're attacking every post I make to try to prove me wrong? Why? Seriously, why? You claim to agree with me, but do nothing but argue about things you brought up.

Yes, lengthy. Two days is 48 hours. Fixing it is two hours. That's a 2,400% increase in turnaround time. Claiming spending twenty four times longer that necessary isn't lengthy is just plain moronic. Doing so for no reason other than to tell somebody they're wrong, after claiming you agree with them, is even more so.

1. Why are you arguing with somebody you claim to agree with? Agreement should preclude argument, and it does for people with healthy brain chemistry.
2. What does Amazon's return policy have to do with this, and why did you feel the need to bring it up over and over again, other than to arbitrarily start an argument?
3. Why are you so desperate to prove somebody wrong that you'll argue with common sense statements like "Don't RMA as a first resort."

Talking about Amazon's return policy? What the *** does that have to do with anything? It's befuddling, you just keep saying crap like "But Amazon's return policy is nice, and I'm right about that, so I'm just going to harp on this one point that nobody but me is talking about because I'm right about it. Also, did I mention Amazon's return policy?"

If you'd like me to break down one of these and explain it, I'd be happy to. I have a soft spot for the mentally disabled, and like to do everything I can to help people in your position.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Sure thing. I'll just paraphrase the lot:

You're an imbecile with a superiority complex and piss poor debate skills, the intellectual equivalent of a toddler putting his fingers in his ears. You clearly understand how you've fucked up here, and are now merely acting belligerent in an attempt to turn the tables, so to speak. Your puerile behavior and transparent motivations (You think you're trolling me? I type 140 WPM and can knock out all the three minute replies you want with no inconvenience) are there for all to see.

You fumble about with words not unlike a palsy victim with a Rubik's Cube. You understand the outcome you want, but are utterly helpless to bring it about. Instead you change courses wildly, moving from simple superiority, to backpedaling and feigned trolling to save face. At this point you're probably already smirking over your victory, which is more of that superiority complex that kicks in to protect you from your failures and insecurities.

While I may have posted most of this with a sarcastic bent, I truly do think you should see a therapist. Things like this get worse, not better.

rabidraccoon

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
That was a little off-topic. Still not understanding what your issue is with the 3 steps I've said. You realize that there's nothing wrong with them so you continue to troll for some reason.