Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading GPU + Bottleneck Question

Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2012 1:46:14 PM

Hello all, I would like to ask you guys a question about updating my graphics card and how it will be bottlnecked.
Here is my current gpu
http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-256bit-Mini-DisplayPor...
This is the upgrade
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I would like to know if my processor amd 6-100 3.3 stock Oc'd to 3.8 will bottleneck my system.
Also I mainly play arma 2 and wish to know if this will increase preformance.
November 28, 2012 2:17:05 PM

i just upgraded to a 7950 with that same processor overclocked to around 4, and have no problems. I think that video card would probably be ok
m
l

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a c 261 U Graphics card
November 28, 2012 2:18:49 PM

A 7970 is a nice jump in graphics power over a 6950.
But a 6950 is already a very good card.
AMD does not make very good gaming cpu chips compared to Intel.
The instruction efficiency per AMD core is much worse than Intel, and most games do not use more than 2-3 fast cores.

I have no experience with arma 2, but I suspect that your $400 upgrade budget would be better spent on a $220 3570K and a $100 Z77 based motherboard.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your gamee, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
Related resources
November 28, 2012 8:22:36 PM

Best answer selected by Digitaldave18.
m
l
November 28, 2012 8:49:53 PM

40 Average With High med settings 1920x1080
54 Average with all lowest settings, 800x600
So this means that a new graphics card would be beneficial correct?
m
l
!