Rate My Gaming Rig [$1k]

teejizzle

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I took advantage of Black Friday and purchased all the components for my new gaming rig and would like to see what more informed members think about it. The parts I purchased were decided upon with the help of a friend (he put together a similar build for his gaming rig).

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on which parts I might want to keep an eye on to upgrade in the near future or if you have had any unpleasant experiences with any of the components.

Processor: i5 3570K
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2GB 3x Windforce
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX650 V2
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred
RAM: GSkill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866mhz
SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB SATA3
HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3
Case Fans: Rosewill RFA-120-K 120mm [x5]
Monitor: Asus VS Series Black 23" 2ms LED

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT:] I just realized that I didn't buy a CD ROM drive... Any suggestions? I just need something fast and cheap that will let me install my OS and drivers. /facepalm

g-unit1111

Titan

You should come here before purchasing the build. That looks pretty good actually. I would have got a different SSD but that's about it.

teejizzle

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Ahh that's what I've been reading a lot on forums. I went with the 1866 because it was $5 more than the 1600. My friend said it was worth the $5.

What are higher frequency RAM typically used for?

g-unit1111

Titan

Really they're not used for anything. On default settings your motherboard will run the RAM at the lowest speeds and timings it can handle. The stock speed is just sort of there. You can't really run over what is recommended in the motherboard guidelines because that will lead to serious system instability and failure. You can run the RAM at stock speeds but that doesn't really make or break the difference in how your build performs. The design of Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge has the RAM controller on the chip itself where before it was on the motherboard north bridge. That's why Intel generally doesn't recommend it. It's OK to use high speed RAM - it's just frowned upon.

ZephyrBit

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
thats one badass build, but i would have maybe had mote wattage for 3 670s (like 800w). Thats all though.

Burner:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

teejizzle

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Haha I got lucky with some really good Black Friday deals to keep the whole package right around my budget.

One thing that I don't understand is how the power supply wattage factors into all this. How am I supposed to know how much wattage I need my power supply to have?