mrbowler

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hi everyone! I'm a long time reader of these forums, but a first time poster. I need some advice on building a new gaming rig. I have been pouring over the forums, and doing my internet searches, but that has only raised more questions for me. I am having a difficult time deciding what Motherboard and CPU to get. I have come down to three possibilities (not ranked in any particular order):
1) ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 with an Intel Core i7-3930K
2) ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 with an Intel Core i7-3770K
3) ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 with an Intel Core i5-3570K

The only reason for the LGA 2011 mobo and CPU is that it uses newer tech and that means, at least in my mind, more potential to prepare for future tech changes (if going with 2011 becomes the norm). The LGA 1155 set ups save me money. However, my confusion there is that people seem to disagree over the i5 and i7 processors.

So my questions are: 1) which of the three listed setups should I go for? 2) If I go with the LGA 1155, then should I get the i5 or i7 processor? 3) Which one of those (i5-3570k or i73770k) is better? (I guess I could always upgrade from the i5 to an i7 if I really needed it, but does the i5-3570k perform better?)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
You will see little different in an i7 over an i5 in gaming. I would stick with the i5 and save your money for something that will have an larger impact, like a better GPU. (as mentioned above).
Also, the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO is a great board. It has a lot of features and would serve you well.
You will see little different in an i7 over an i5 in gaming. I would stick with the i5 and save your money for something that will have an larger impact, like a better GPU. (as mentioned above).
Also, the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO is a great board. It has a lot of features and would serve you well.

Solution