Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tight Budget: Buy vs Build + FX 83** vs i5 3570k

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 28, 2012 12:29:20 AM

Hey,
I'm a college freshman on a tight budget trying to build a pc for tri or quad eyefinity (that I might still be able to sell if I get tired of it). I need a pc for research (electrical engineering) I code (and plan to code more), multitask a lot with mostly general stuff(I do a little of everything) and I rarely game (when I'm bored) but when I game, I game hard.
The problem is I don't even know if I need the tri/quad setup (I'm a multiple screen freak)screen and if I do, what's the best mobo+cpu config?
Also, my last few computers have been crap but I usually find a way to tweak them to work well (not comfortably, but well).I'm trying to step up.
This isn't my first build, but my last one was when I was 13 so I'm not really current but I acan couple parts..
So, I have all my parts (8gb, 2tb, radeon hd 7770, {tv and monitor mixture: 22inch, 22inch, 40 inch, 24inch } plan to run/overclock my mobo on stock cooler)
but not sure of which mobo, cpu config.

Why I want fx over i5:
1.with the new fx series on AM3+ which seem to have a bright future since AMD is still making optimizations on the BD series that use AM3+, I think steamR would be even better than PD.
2. better bang for buck if I OC
3. better multithread performance: the software world is moving to multiple threads (important)
4. good overclocking (on stock cooler? or do I have to buy more stuff?)

Why I want i5 over fx:
1. i5 seems to be able to last many more years, nut with haswell coming.....
2. the world is still very much single threaded.
3. good overclocking; I know it becomes a stove after 4.5-4.6ghz.
4. I think I'll still be able to sell it at a good price
5. better performance than fx at the same freq. I'd have to take my fx to 5ghz to match a 4ghz here(controversial, please verify).
6. Dedicated graphics in case I get broke and lose my gfx.
7. power consumption seems better; I'm paying bills (+ I got 4 screens to pay for).
8. I heard I'd have to get a costly mobo and cooler to work with the fx to be able to OC to i5 standards.
9. Pcie 3.0 (well, just in case)


total cost for i5 3770k build ~800
for i3 2120 ~700
not sure of fx price because I don't know a good mobo



So, how much would I have to pay to get an fx to work like the i5 or would a stock oc work?
what mobo is good for the fx?
what's the future like for both? (dumb question, but I don't plan on buying a pc again in 4 years)
how high can I get both processors to be stable on stock cooler?

OR
do I just dump all this and go for a $400-$500 stock pc and run it for a while then tweak or upgrade (mobo, psu,gfx). Plus, they come with keyborads and an OS. Saves a lot of scarce money.

Really need your help.
Thank you.
November 28, 2012 12:57:00 AM

FX 8350,I would say.If multithreaded apps is important to you then yes the 8350 will destroy the 3570k,Now if your doing alot more single threaded then the i5 but i still think the 8350 is the better choice,Even in games like bf3,MOHW,gta4,csgo,just cause 2,max payne 3 etc it is up on performance with the 3570k.So i would say the 8350 is the better choice and you cant beat it for price,2600k multithreaded performance for 2500k performance :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
November 28, 2012 1:02:18 AM

So your total cost is $800? built from scratch w/ case and os and everything?

Pretty sure we can build something in that range that can outperform a pre-built one lol.

And ya. As the guy above me said, you're most likely able to get a free copy of the win7/win8 os from your school.
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 3:14:18 PM

yeah, OS is something I can get.
My budget is actually 600. I would have gotten something long ago if it were 800. I just want to know if whatever I pick worth the extra money.
And, how's the overclocking of either one like?
I heard I'd have to max out the fx to be on par with the i5.
Plus, with the higher wattage and another fan......I'm paying bills you know.
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 3:15:35 PM

hexxcoat said:
yeah, OS is something I can get.
My budget is actually 600. I would have gotten something long ago if it were 800. I just want to know if whatever I pick worth the extra money.
And, how's the overclocking of either one like?
I heard I'd have to max out the fx to be on par with the i5.

Lol no you dont have to max out the 8350 toi be on par with the i5...Multithreaded performance it beats it hands down everywhere.Singlethreaded the i5 wins but in modern games they are neck and neck
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 3:19:13 PM

so would I notice any much difference is normal single threaded stuff like visual studio? without OCing either?
Plus any ideas on PCIe3.0 in the future?
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 3:23:53 PM

EchoOne said:
Lol no you dont have to max out the 8350 toi be on par with the i5...Multithreaded performance it beats it hands down everywhere.Singlethreaded the i5 wins but in modern games they are neck and neck




so would I notice any much difference is normal single threaded stuff like visual studio? without OCing either?
Plus any ideas on PCIe3.0 in the future?
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 4:20:09 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 4:43:29 PM

hexxcoat said:
thanks. But can I go any lower in terms of the mobo price; for a decent oc?

Well single threaded yeah the i5 will win but you said heavily multithreaded.So the 8350 will work
and if you look at the cinebench scores for singlethreaded apps there is a difference of about .3 8350 is like 1.2 on single and the i5 is like 1.5-1.6
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 5:07:46 PM

thanks.
What's the most stable OC of the fx and how does it compare to the i5 at stock and OC?
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 5:46:27 PM

Sorry if I missed something here, but when you say Eyefinity, do you mean eyefinity or do you mean a computer with several monitors for multi-tasking, one of which will be used to play games on.

Eyefinity means playing a game that is stretched across all monitors. It's very GPU intensive and will require more VRAM than a standard 1080p gaming setup. I really don't think you can actually build a computer that will run a game in 4xeyefinity with decent numbers for 800$, since the GPU alone should get around 400$ of your budget. (And as an EE you should probably choose your PSU with love ;)  )

If you just want 4 monitors, and are gaming on a single 1080p display, then your requirements got a lot more manageable.

I have no firm opinion on the CPU; I would probably go for an i5, but depending on the rest of your system, and what you want; it maybe worth jumping to the AMD for the price and extra cores.

CPU speeds are usually much less important than people think (imo). You may notice your CPU speed during complex EE Simulations, board layout programs, and at compile time, but most "homework" type projects will never become big enough to tax a system heavily enough that more performance would save a real amount of time that would equate to being "worth the cost" for better hardware.
For gaming, most of the competition between CPUs is limited to a few games where the difference actually matters (such as BF3) or situations where frames beyond 60FPS actually matter (ie 120hz display).
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 6:23:25 PM

djscribbles said:
Sorry if I missed something here, but when you say Eyefinity, do you mean eyefinity or do you mean a computer with several monitors for multi-tasking, one of which will be used to play games on.

Eyefinity means playing a game that is stretched across all monitors. It's very GPU intensive and will require more VRAM than a standard 1080p gaming setup. I really don't think you can actually build a computer that will run a game in 4xeyefinity with decent numbers for 800$, since the GPU alone should get around 400$ of your budget. (And as an EE you should probably choose your PSU with love ;)  )

If you just want 4 monitors, and are gaming on a single 1080p display, then your requirements got a lot more manageable.

I have no firm opinion on the CPU; I would probably go for an i5, but depending on the rest of your system, and what you want; it maybe worth jumping to the AMD for the price and extra cores.

CPU speeds are usually much less important than people think (imo). You may notice your CPU speed during complex EE Simulations, board layout programs, and at compile time, but most "homework" type projects will never become big enough to tax a system heavily enough that more performance would save a real amount of time that would equate to being "worth the cost" for better hardware.
For gaming, most of the competition between CPUs is limited to a few games where the difference actually matters (such as BF3) or situations where frames beyond 60FPS actually matter (ie 120hz display).



In that wise, I was wrong for calling it eyefinity. All I want is 4 distinct screens of the same pc.
My current set up:
1. 8gb gskill + DVD drive + Bluetooth + wifi card + memory card reader drive + 2tb hdd = $140
2. OC Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme 4/Some AM3+ ; = about $110
3. PSU + Case = 100
4. OC CPU: i5 3570k or fx 8350 = $200
5. radeon hd 7770 = $150


Is that a good budget?
Plus can you help me slimfit the price?
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 9:55:37 PM

you're skimping a lot on the video card. I have a gigabyte 7850 2Gb OC I picked up for $170 and it is substantially better than the 7770 for only a few bucks more (still no where near the 7900 series, but for the money I can't beat it.) Problem with this card is it only has 1 hdmi and 1 dvi out, but other manufacturers can do better.

Here's a simple list. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html


m
0
l
November 28, 2012 10:18:02 PM

hexxcoat said:
In that wise, I was wrong for calling it eyefinity. All I want is 4 distinct screens of the same pc.
My current set up:
1. 8gb gskill + DVD drive + Bluetooth + wifi card + memory card reader drive + 2tb hdd = $140
2. OC Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme 4/Some AM3+ ; = about $110
3. PSU + Case = 100
4. OC CPU: i5 3570k or fx 8350 = $200
5. radeon hd 7770 = $150


Is that a good budget?
Plus can you help me slimfit the price?

Get the z77 extreme OR the MSI 970A (i recomend that)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Dont skimp on the psu though please,get about a 650w to save money for future upgrades but other than that.I would go with 8350 if your going to be doing more heavy workloads and such.Either way both are going to be great but for the money the 8350 is a beast
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 11:44:30 PM

slimgenre said:
you're skimping a lot on the video card. I have a gigabyte 7850 2Gb OC I picked up for $170 and it is substantially better than the 7770 for only a few bucks more (still no where near the 7900 series, but for the money I can't beat it.) Problem with this card is it only has 1 hdmi and 1 dvi out, but other manufacturers can do better.

Here's a simple list. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html



The price seems to have gone higher.
Where did you get yours?
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 11:52:39 PM

EchoOne said:
Get the z77 extreme OR the MSI 970A (i recomend that)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Dont skimp on the psu though please,get about a 650w to save money for future upgrades but other than that.I would go with 8350 if your going to be doing more heavy workloads and such.Either way both are going to be great but for the money the 8350 is a beast





Newegg has raised the price of the i5 to $229
Is the b75 or h61 board good enough?
I'll get a good psu. But all prices seem to have changed again. Do prices on stuff like these go down after Christmas?
m
0
l
March 21, 2013 7:39:25 AM

i think you should go for the 3570k cpu. I believe that the 4core/4threads of the i5 will be more than enough for your multithreaded applications. besides, you say that your conscious about your electril bill (just as i am). you might shell out more initially for the i5 3570k(77W), but if you think of it in the long run, you'll save more on your electric bill monthly compared if you get the FX8350(95W).


m
0
l
!