SLI 2 gtx 670's on a 750w PSU?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2012 3:07:13 PM

I'm looking to SLI in the near future and I currently use 1 gtx 670 EVGA FTW superclocked gpu...my (dumb) question is whether or not my psu can handle 2 of these puppies. Thanks in advance for all replies

More about : sli gtx 670 750w psu

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 3:26:16 PM

nVidia itself recommend 500W for a single 670. Add 170W for SLI & recommended is 670W.
http://www.nvidia.in/object/geforce-gtx-670-in.html#pdp...

For testing conducted for SLI 670, the resulting system consumption for SLI is 433W of which 293W are attributed to the gpu cards.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3wa...

All points out to 750W being more than enough what power supply do you have brand and model ?
October 6, 2012 3:39:34 PM

That's right. If your PSU is a halfway-decent brand, you'll be fine.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2012 5:05:50 PM

I have a Seasonic X series 80 plus gold rated 750w PSU
m
l
October 6, 2012 5:14:54 PM

so even if I buy another EVGA superclocked FTW GTX 670 I should be fine right? I don't OC my gpu, just running at the factory specs
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 5:19:31 PM

Your good you can run two EVGA superclocked FTW GTX 670 oc and your cpu oc lol no worries your power supply is top notch.
m
l
October 6, 2012 5:53:09 PM

awesome thanks guys
m
l
October 6, 2012 5:53:38 PM

Best answer selected by Dometologist.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 6:05:03 PM

No problem your welcome!
m
l
October 7, 2012 5:13:02 AM

If you ask EVGA they will recommend 1.5 times the required system power for one GPU if you're running two in SLI. Single reqs for one 670 are 500w/30a, which would make it 750w/45a for dual card SLI.

Last I asked them about it they said it's right in line with what Nvidia recommends, so I'm questioning the valididity of the above claimed Nvidia recommended wattage, and no amperage is mentioned either.

Most 750w PSUs are going to have over 45a combined on the 12v rails though, so you should be OK. Keep in mind that the quality of the PSU is every bit as important as it's power rating though.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 5:52:52 AM

Thread is done and solved are you trying to claim his psu is not enough for sli ? i could careless what you question. As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have a or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you’re aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.His Power supply is 62A 12V power it's more than enough to run sli 670
m
l
October 7, 2012 8:18:52 PM

No need to get passive aggressive. I made it clear in my 3rd paragraph his PSU has enough power for that setup.

The obvious and main reason for the post was to clarify for anyone else that may have a similar GPU setup what AMPERAGE amount is necessary.

There are many cases where mere wattage recommendations aren't enough. Some PSUs can fall within rec wattage, but not amperage.

I could just as well say your point on the amperage is kinda moot when I already detailed exact amperage spec needed for the described scenario.

So on the one hand while I did merely verify what had already been said, I also gave vital details not mentioned should he ever need to replace his PSU.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 8:24:55 PM

Frag Maniac said:
No need to get passive aggressive. I made it clear in my 3rd paragraph his PSU has enough power for that setup.

The obvious and main reason for the post was to clarify for anyone else that may have a similar GPU setup what AMPERAGE amount is necessary.

There are many cases where mere wattage recommendations aren't enough. Some PSUs can fall within rec wattage, but not amperage.

So your point on the amperage is kinda moot when I already detailed exact amperage spec needed for the described scenario.

So on the one hand while I did merely verify what had already been said, I also gave vital details not mentioned should he ever need to replace his PSU.
I apologize i misunderstood your meaning of your post i thought you were questioning my advice and imply it was wrong
m
l
!