Sign in with
Your question

6850 CrossFire-Too many doubts...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2012 3:17:08 PM

Hello guys!
Once again,I´m here because I need help;I need all your knowledges to determine if I I should CrossFire 2x Radeon 6850.

So,right now I own a 6850 and yesterday I bought a CrossFire ready motherboard: ASUS P7P55 LX and now I want to buy another GPU to crossfire them,BUT THERE ARE LOT OF DOUBTS IN MY MIND,I HOPE SOMEONE WILL CLEAR THEM FOR ME.

Here we GO:

-First of all,my power supply is Cooler Master Real Power M620(620 W continous,700W peak)
Question:Is this enough for a Core i7 860 and 6850 Crossfired?
-Second:My motherboard supports PCI-E X16 and X4(for CrossFire mode):
Question:Will I see noticeable FPS gain or due to the X4 PCI-E I will see myself limited and therefore,Crossfire here seems kind of dumb?Will the performance boost be basically ZERO?I heard they says this in forums...(for the X4 PCI-E Crossfire).

Thanks for your time guys!

More about : 6850 crossfire doubts

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 3:30:11 PM

the cpu is quite good enough for a crossfire set up.

as far as a x16, x4 set up
you can have a 13% performance decrease using a x4 slot (pretty substantial):

though what it really boils down to is that you are better off getting a much better single card that trying to crossfire two lesser cards such as the 6850.

a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 3:32:32 PM

You may want to read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

My answer is, don't do it.

They tested the 6870 in this, but the 6850 is the same chip, slightly lower clocked and cut down, so the article should be very similar to your results.

It is generally a bad idea to crossfire medium or lower end graphics cards. While the FPS may seem good for the cost, due to the way crossfire works, it may not feel as smooth as the FPS tell you.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 3:36:53 PM

I would just get a Radeon HD 7850 card. That would give you a similar performance boost and save a bit on your electricity bill as well. Then sell the 6850 card to recoup the difference.
October 6, 2012 3:49:59 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
This is one of the recommendations in the 250-350 range. You have the choice to get another 6850, or try to sell yours and get a better single card solution. Also you have to tell us what resolution you game at or you might end up with a card too powerful for your current display.
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 3:50:44 PM

bystander said:
You may want to read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Crossfire-SLI-stuttering,W-F-300543-22.png

My answer is, don't do it.

They tested the 6870 in this, but the 6850 is the same chip, slightly lower clocked and cut down, so the article should be very similar to your results.

It is generally a bad idea to crossfire medium or lower end graphics cards. While the FPS may seem good for the cost, due to the way crossfire works, it may not feel as smooth as the FPS tell you.

if i remember correctly you mention before you have 6900 series in CFX setup. how well does it goes compared to 6800 series in CFX?
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 3:56:41 PM

renz496 said:
if i remember correctly you mention before you have 6900 series in CFX setup. how well does it goes compared to 6800 series in CFX?

Sadly, there are no at home tests to find out, and THG never tested any other cards but what was in that review. I really wish they'd do that test with all the new cards when they come out. It would be VERY informative.
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 4:03:33 PM

If you look through the review, the did get one with the 6990, and it performed better. Though that is not to say that two 6950's in crossfire would perform the same, as things are slightly different being on different PCB's.

After looking more carefully at the colors on that chart, the 6990 did not perform well in regards to microstuttering. It was just about as bad as the 6870's in crossfire. The 6870 in triFire and qudFire did the best, but the 590 wasn't too bad either.
October 6, 2012 6:10:10 PM

Thanks to every single one of you for trying to help me here but seems that you guys forgot the 1st question:The PSU. Is it enough for a Crossfire,IF AND ONLY IF I choose to do it? [I have too many doubts now,after(thank you ´´bystander´´) seeing those charts and the micro-stuttering bloody issue...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 8:28:57 PM

masakruwolverine said:
Thanks to every single one of you for trying to help me here but seems that you guys forgot the 1st question:The PSU. Is it enough for a Crossfire,IF AND ONLY IF I choose to do it? [I have too many doubts now,after(thank you ´´bystander´´) seeing those charts and the micro-stuttering bloody issue...

sorry misread it and thought you meant the cpu . .silly me

oh the question?
NO!

Quote:
The M620 can have a very nice look and finish, but the performance of the least one can say is that we were disappointed. The ripple at +12 V is very high in both tests (# 6 and CL2) and goes out of bounds as if this were not enough, the PSU at CL2 test suddenly died and did not go back ever. Also, the M620 initially did not want anything to work with a load of over 580W, closed after only a few seconds.

full review if you use a translation from spanish . .
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&rurl=transl...
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 8:43:55 PM

masakruwolverine said:
Hello guys!
Once again,I´m here because I need help;I need all your knowledges to determine if I I should CrossFire 2x Radeon 6850.

So,right now I own a 6850 and yesterday I bought a CrossFire ready motherboard: ASUS P7P55 LX and now I want to buy another GPU to crossfire them,BUT THERE ARE LOT OF DOUBTS IN MY MIND,I HOPE SOMEONE WILL CLEAR THEM FOR ME.

Here we GO:

-First of all,my power supply is Cooler Master Real Power M620(620 W continous,700W peak)
Question:Is this enough for a Core i7 860 and 6850 Crossfired?
-Second:My motherboard supports PCI-E X16 and X4(for CrossFire mode):
Question:Will I see noticeable FPS gain or due to the X4 PCI-E I will see myself limited and therefore,Crossfire here seems kind of dumb?Will the performance boost be basically ZERO?I heard they says this in forums...(for the X4 PCI-E Crossfire).

Thanks for your time guys!

I lived with 6850 CF for a long time, so I will share my experience with you.

CF on a mobo with one of the PCIE working at 4x would be a grave mistake.

I had 8x, 8x on my mobo. And while on benchmarks it would easily trounce a gtx 580, on actual games the "smoothness" would be lacking if fps dropped below about 70 fps.

I would be rock solid 60 fps but it would feel wrong, like watching a hand cranked hollywood movie from the early 1900's.

Eventually I sold the 6850's and got a single gtx 480, same benchmark numbers as the CF but the games are CONSIDERABLY more playable, very fluid.

On skyrim for example I
October 6, 2012 9:00:13 PM

I would recommend trying to sell your current 6850 and get a 7850 or a 7870.

Are you just not satisfied with your current card's performance? Why are you wanting to Crossfire in the first place? Just because you have the ability too?

Too be honest, if you upgrade to a 78xx series, you will see a FPS increase but it won't be a worthwhile upgrade for ~$200.

I would highly recommend you wait and upgrade when the 8000 series comes about, but only if you can play at a satisfying gaming experience currently.
October 6, 2012 9:31:02 PM

Ok,no Crossfire!
I´ve decided !
I´ll just stick with my card,it can do 45 FPS+ in BF3 ULTRA SETTINGS.

I´ll buy a new GPU as soon as I can,but for the moment,this one is OK,I guess....

Anyways,what doy you guys think about my CPU?
I7 860?
Would this CPU be a bottleneck for further updates?
Cause man I´ll hate to change my CPU.
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 10:12:05 PM

masakruwolverine said:
Ok,no Crossfire!
I´ve decided !
I´ll just stick with my card,it can do 45 FPS+ in BF3 ULTRA SETTINGS.

I´ll buy a new GPU as soon as I can,but for the moment,this one is OK,I guess....

Anyways,what doy you guys think about my CPU?
I7 860?
Would this CPU be a bottleneck for further updates?
Cause man I´ll hate to change my CPU.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the i7 that does not have hyperthreading, but is still a 4 core CPU. As long as you OC it past 3.5Ghz, it should be fine for a while. To OC to 3.5+ Ghz, you will need an aftermarket HSF.
October 8, 2012 4:41:11 PM

I´ve decided to go for a GTX 570.
Any cons on this one ?
Is it worth it?
Upgrade 6850 to GTX 570 ?
!