CPU Cooler or Mor Ram?!

Sorry to be making so many threads, I have an OCD and everything needs to be perfect.

So far my gaming machine ( was on a tight budget ) Is

Processor = AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition Denab 3.4Ghz
Motherboard =Asrock AM3+ 970 Extreme 4
Ram = 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 Ram
Video Card =Saphire HD7850 2GB OC Edition
Corsair or XFX 550w Psu.

Firsty i need to know if this is good for gaming? Looking to play Fallout/Skyrim type games Maybe even BF3 on high/max settings
On a 1600x900 resolution?

Second, Im being told 4GB ram is more than enough for gaming, then im told that i need 8gb.

Im also being told that i will need a CPU cooler.

Now im not Overclocking at all as i have no idea how to do it and i dont trust myself to do it.
If im not overclocking, Do i really need a CPU cooler?

Or should i get another 4GB ram?
8 answers Last reply
More about cooler
  1. No and no. Wait for the ram to be priced under $30 for a 2x4gb kit. If you don't find any at that price, keep what you have. And no to a better heatsink if you're not overclocking. The stock amd heatsink is adequate.
  2. Thanks so much.

Was that a no to me being able to play games? If so im now very gutted -.-

I already have a 4GB Corsair 1333mhz ram in my pc atm.

Should i change/Add a Corsair Vengeance 1600 4GB ram?

Or would the ram i have be good enough?
  3. It's good enough. the speed difference between 1333 and 1600 isn't that much. Wait for the 8 gb kit to be on sale, then sell off the leftover ram. I wouldn't mix it; 8 gb is enough.
  4. Thanks pal!

You 100% i dont need a cooler? I have like 5 people, 3 Telling me yes and 2 telling me no!
  5. No. If your temps under load don't exceed 60c (I use coretemp), then you'll be fine for the 3 year warranty. By the end of the warranty, you'll want to replace it anyway.
  6. Yes. Sometimes cases have too many fans. I recommend only one in the front and one in the back. Some have them on top, but that just invites more dust.
  7. 4gb is enough for most things. If you are on a tight budget, don't add more. You also don't need to get a cooler because the stock one is designed to be sufficient for the un-overclocked cpu. Only buy a cooler if you plan on overclocking or if your cpu is overheating.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming RAM Systems Product