Sign in with
Your question

Gt 430 w/ 220 watt slimline

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2012 6:42:26 PM

Hello,
I just need a pc to run quite simple games such as portal 2, tf2, css, half life 2, (all source games), and is enough to run any game that isn't too taxing (ie. crysis 2). However with my slimline case, its difficult to find a card that can run those, low profile, on a 220 watt psu. I've looked at the hd 5450, a cheaper and lower power card, though it doesn't run as well as the geforce gt 430, which is more expensive, and uses more power. Which is better for my pc?

More about : 430 220 watt slimline

October 6, 2012 6:45:33 PM

Or, another card i've looked at is the 8400 gs 1 gb, which I haven't found many gameplays with and am not sure about its power draw.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 8:51:04 PM

If possible, that PSU should be upgraded. I wouldn't trust it with any modern gaming graphics card at all.
Related resources
a c 107 U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 9:09:53 PM

you might get away with a 5570 I would think
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 9:39:40 PM

dudewitbow said:
you might get away with a 5570 I would think

I doubt it. The 7750 uses less power than the 5570 and that PSU probably couldn't handle a 7750 well either.
a c 504 U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 10:01:35 PM

That 220 Watt slimline OEM power supply unit should have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 17 Amps.

What CPU is in this system? Or at least provide its brand and model if it's a consumer desktop unit.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 10:45:59 PM

a 220 watt psu couldnt handle a 7750? 7750 consumes a maximum of 43 watts
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 11:23:46 PM

neon neophyte said:
a 220 watt psu couldnt handle a 7750? 7750 consumes a maximum of 43 watts

That PSU might be giving all that it safely can even without a graphics card. Also, don't forget that wattage rating is almost irrelevant. What matters is +12V amperage. Also, a 7750 can use more than 43W. Some of them can use over 70W.
a c 504 U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 11:26:53 PM

Guru3D doesn't measure graphics card power consumption. They measure total system power consumption at the AC outlet and attempt to extrapolate the graphics card's approximate power consumption.

I prefer total actual measured power consumption from the +3.3V and +12V power lines in the PCIe slot and along with all of the PCIe supplementary power connectors on the graphics card, if any. At least this is the true power consumption of the device and is independent of any other component in the system and from any effect of power supply efficiency. techPowerUp.com and ht4u.net measures graphics card power consumption without guessing or approximating.

The AMD reference design Radeon HD 7750 900 MHz Edition is an 83 Watt card and has a measured power consumption of:
FurMark: 80.6 Watts
Gaming: 67.34 Watts (increases to 78.86 Watts when overclocked)
Idle: 7.65 Watts

The AMD reference design Radeon HD 7750 original 800 MHz Edition is a 75 Watt card and has a measured power consumption of:
FurMark: 57.03 Watts
Gaming: 50.22 Watts (increases to 52.98 Watts when overclocked)
Idle: 6.5 Watts
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 11:39:13 PM

hrmz, i see. i hate to hijack this thread but i have a friend who is in pretty much the same boat. has a slimline psu, it is junk. it is currently powering a 65nm core2quad@3 ghz. she wants to get a dedicated graphics card. is there anything she can put in there without fear of toasting the whole system?
a c 504 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 12:28:07 AM

neon neophyte said:
hrmz, i see. i hate to hijack this thread but i have a friend who is in pretty much the same boat. has a slimline psu, it is junk. it is currently powering a 65nm core2quad@3 ghz. she wants to get a dedicated graphics card. is there anything she can put in there without fear of toasting the whole system?

Please click on the "Ask The Community" button at the top of this thread and ask your question in your own thread.

That way you'll get an answer for your specific situation and requirements.

Provide the make and model of the existing system along with budget limits.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 1:25:32 AM

considering im asking for the exact same information as this thread wants, i think this is an appropriate place to ask
a c 504 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 2:20:06 AM

neon neophyte said:
considering im asking for the exact same information as this thread wants, i think this is an appropriate place to ask

Not according to the Terms of Use of this forum.

Thread hijacking is considered rude and inappropriate.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 2:25:23 AM

its not really hijacking, pretty much asking for the ops question to be answered. pretty productive of you having a back and forth with me about it champ. what part of "i know someone in the same boat" was unclear to you?

edit: how about you just shut up about it so i can see some real info pertaining to this thread
a c 504 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 2:28:01 AM

neon neophyte said:
its not really hijacking, pretty much asking for the ops question to be answered. pretty productive of you having a back and forth with me about it champ

edit: how about you just shut up about it so i can see some real info pertaining to this thread

neon neophyte said:

You've already admitted to it.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 2:33:00 AM

it was jokingly, at this point i would say YOU are thread hijacking

anyway, back on topic, is there anything you can put in a 220w slimline psu without frying the system?
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 2:37:50 AM

neon neophyte said:
it was jokingly, at this point i would say YOU are thread hijacking

anyway, back on topic, is there anything you can put in a 220w slimline psu without frying the system?

It'd depend on the PSU. Wattage is not what matters,. What matters is +12V amperage. Maybe some can handle it, but I don't know of any that can. You and OP can probably upgrade your PSUs (although your options for that are limited).

You two can check your +12V amperage by looking at the sticker that should be on the side of the PSU in the case. Report it back and we can say if it is enough for anything.
October 28, 2012 1:26:23 AM

I just tried a Sapphire HD 5450 in my slimline E Machines with a 220 watt PSU. Got it to boot, but the drivers wouldn't load either from a CD or a flash. I can only assume the card just wasn't being properly identified during the install process, because the error messages seemed to indicate such. This card is PCI 2.1 and say minimum 400 watt psu, but according to the referenced article they consume much less wattage.....the problem IMHO is amps.
January 26, 2013 6:28:37 PM

Akutan said:
I just tried a Sapphire HD 5450 in my slimline E Machines with a 220 watt PSU. Got it to boot, but the drivers wouldn't load either from a CD or a flash. I can only assume the card just wasn't being properly identified during the install process, because the error messages seemed to indicate such. This card is PCI 2.1 and say minimum 400 watt psu, but according to the referenced article they consume much less wattage.....the problem IMHO is amps.

Did you find a card that works with your slimline E Machines with a 220 watt PSU? That's the exact kind my friend has. She doesn't do gaming, only taxes and bookkeeping. She really wants dual monitors.

Thanks!
!