Wraith : Shadow Familiar question

Hey all,

I have another Wraith question, about the Shadow Familiar thorn.

Is this familiar visible to everyone ? Is it only visible to the Shadow
? Is it only visible during Catharsis ? Can other Spectres detect it ?

AE.

AEnigma wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have another Wraith question, about the Shadow Familiar thorn.
>
> Is this familiar visible to everyone ? Is it only visible to the Shadow
> ? Is it only visible during Catharsis ? Can other Spectres detect it ?
>
> AE.

My interpretation has been that it is basically a small Umbrood,
visible to anyone in the Shadowlands. In fact, I think anyone with the
equivalent of Spirit 1 could see it even if the onlooker was in the
Skinlands.

I also think that it could be soul-forged, and if that happened, it
wouldn't be able to reform, but most things short of soul-forging or
Spirit 4 aggravated damage from a Mage wouldn't permanently take it
away. Possibly normal damage would cause it to drop into Oblivion.
Possibly aggravated damage from a Wraith (e.g. using Outrage) would
permanently drop it into Oblivion and the Shadow would lose access to
it. (Some storytellers might say it's even easier to destroy
permanently.)

This thorn would be relatively easy to destroy permanently, which would
be a good thing for the Psyche and a bad thing for the Shadow.

Rip Rock wrote:

> My interpretation has been that it is basically a small Umbrood,
> visible to anyone in the Shadowlands. In fact, I think anyone with the
> equivalent of Spirit 1 could see it even if the onlooker was in the
> Skinlands.

The technical term is, I believe, "plasmic." Umbrood are from the
Middle and High Umbra.

> This thorn would be relatively easy to destroy permanently, which would
> be a good thing for the Psyche and a bad thing for the Shadow.

Might not be very good for either of 'em. "Psyche/Shadow" is a false
dichtonomy.
--
Stephenls
Geek