Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Image quality problems on gtx 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2012 7:23:32 PM

Hi

First time posting here...

I built my first computer. After installing gfx card driver the image gets blurry and the colors look awful. Opened up paint and took 1 px brush.
http://www.upload.ee/image/2727475/IMG253.jpg
As you can see its horizontally stretched.
And the text has white "shadows"
http://www.upload.ee/image/2727481/IMG255.jpg

I checked the resolution and colors, all should be right (1440*900).
Installed nvidia driver in Linux, same...

My specs:
CPU: Intel i7 3770K (Stock turbo 3.9Hz)
MB: GB-UD5H
PSU: Corsair GS800 (800W)
GFX: GV-N670OC-2GD - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
a c 84 Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 7:42:25 PM

What's the brand and model of the display?
Related resources
October 6, 2012 8:20:23 PM

NVM*
October 6, 2012 8:40:08 PM

Some time ago i started getting flashing screen when UAC poped up (no signal for 1 sec).
October 6, 2012 8:40:42 PM

what type of connection are you using?
a c 84 Î Nvidia
October 6, 2012 8:47:18 PM

Are you using the HDMI input? In theory that should provide you with the clearest image since it is a pure digital signal.

Make sure the monitor is not doing any image rescaling or aspect ratio readjustment. Check your display's onscreen menu options.
October 6, 2012 9:02:10 PM

Ok, I'm using DVI (computer) to HDMI (TV) cable.

Just installed Virtu MVP, different DVI port still blurry.
October 6, 2012 9:05:58 PM

NB!!! All was fine in windows and linux before installing the driver.
a c 84 Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 1:20:28 AM

Ultrak1ll said:
NB!!! All was fine in windows and linux before installing the driver.

When you installed the driver what did the refresh rate default to? Was it 60Hz or was it lower than that?

The Samsung S24B300H should have far superior image quality compared to the Grundig Vision 2 19-2830 T LCD HDTV since its specific purpose is to be a computer display and not a TV.

Did you physically uninstall the GTX 670 and use the Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU only to rule out a problem with the discrete graphics card?
October 7, 2012 6:15:35 PM

Quote:
Did you physically uninstall the GTX 670 and use the Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU only to rule out a problem with the discrete graphics card?

No I didnt remove the card, I installed MVP and just plugged the cable into on board gfx card. Image still f**ked up. Its horizontal blur. Refresh rate and res are ok.

Dunno maybe the driver is not supporting my panel?? Is this possible?
Or should I RMA the card...
a c 84 Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 6:37:14 PM

Ultrak1ll said:
Quote:

No I didnt remove the card, I installed MVP and just plugged the cable into on board gfx card. Image still f**ked up. Its horizontal blur. Refresh rate and res are ok.

Dunno maybe the driver is not supporting my panel?? Is this possible?
Or should I RMA the card...

The display driver will try to set default settings based on the information sent from the display panel's EDID (i.e. Extended Display Identification Data) EEPROM chip to the graphics card. If the display doesn't provide the correct EDID info then your display panel will not be set to display an optimum image.
October 7, 2012 8:20:02 PM

Quote:
If the display doesn't provide the correct EDID info then your display panel will not be set to display an optimum image.

So this will cause blurry deformed image even at right settings?

EDIT: I have seen this blur before when I had ATI card with opensource driver on Ubuntu 10.04

Best solution

a c 84 Î Nvidia
October 7, 2012 9:22:15 PM

Ultrak1ll said:
Quote:
If the display doesn't provide the correct EDID info then your display panel will not be set to display an optimum image.

So this will cause blurry deformed image even at right settings?

EDIT: I have seen this blur before when I had ATI card with opensource driver on Ubuntu 10.04

It can, if the display panel doesn't send the correct display timings and voltage polarities to the graphics card then the wrong values will be used to generate the video signal that will be used by the display panel resulting in a screwy image or in some cases no image.
October 7, 2012 11:49:23 PM

Best answer selected by Ultrak1ll.nnThanks! This seems only logical option. nThere are lot of people with the same pc conf as me, it must be the monitor.
October 9, 2012 6:19:26 PM

I did more research on the topic.

Found out that there is a bug in nvidia driver (missing EDID)!

Here is how to fix it: http://files.bortweb.com/how_to_fix_nvidia_blurry_fuzzy...

Works for win 7 if you adapt some things.

nv_disp.inf is located in C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\306.23\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\English\Display.Driver\

The appearance of the installer has changed so after clicking "agree" cancel the installer.

Now every thing works!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111oneone eleven

EDIT:
Note, don't buy a 600 series gfx card if you are a designer, poor performance for double cash (stupid to hope that nvidia will release better soft to increase the performance, cuda support is broken, JUST DON'T BUY IT). If you are just a gamer then buy a 690.
!