Solved

Looking to build cheap htpc

i would like to keep the price under $400. heres what i picked so far, anything else i need? or if you can think of a way to get this cheaper let me know. also i will be wanting to get a 7.2 surround for my living room, will i need a sound card or can i run the sound through the hdmi? anyway heres the list http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking build cheap htpc
  1. Your list doesn't work. Use PC Part Picker or list the parts individually.

    You don't need a sound card - if you're using an amplifier you can route the sound through a two-prong audio cable to auxiliary.
  2. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ i hope this one works. the other one did on my end
  3. Best answer
    The hard drive is IDE, incompatible with the mobo. Also its refurbished and tiny, not good for a HTPC.

    Hope you arent thinking of gaming off that card. Get the GT210, $20 cheaper and it works (performance isn't even a consideration at this low end).

    You can still get single core CPU's?!

    Get this PSU. Bit cheaper and still good.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371029

    TBH I would put a bit more money into this. $400 is the bare minimum to even build a computer outright.
  4. Quote:
    ok here we go again...
    hhd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136292
    mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131795
    gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814125427
    ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231396
    psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139026
    cpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819103888
    drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827135247
    case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811163174
    ok now maybe?


    The CPU you picked is made for servers and the motherboard you picked is made for regular PCs. I'd say ditch the GPU and go with a Trinity based build - the integrated graphics are better than a GT 610 would ever provide and the CPU is far more powerful than that Sempron.
  5. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q93l
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q93l/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q93l/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($81.97 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($21.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: CoolMax 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $399.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  6. djangoringo said:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q93l
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q93l/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q93l/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($81.97 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($21.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: CoolMax 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $399.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    Avoid Coolmax like the plague - they are one of the industry's absolute worst vendors and it doesn't matter what supply they make.
  7. It surely can powerup with no problems a apu+bluray drive+1hdd...
  8. djangoringo said:
    It surely can powerup with no problems a apu+bluray drive+1hdd...


    It will but don't expect it to last more than six months before blowing up and taking out your system with it. Cheap power supplies *ARE NOT WORTH IT*, I don't know how many times I have to repeat that but I've seen and used power supplies like this and seen it happen. Not worth it.
  9. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q9aS
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q9aS/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q9aS/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($56.97 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($21.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $380.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    With a corsair cx 430w.
    The other build will be fine too, but if he has doubts seeded by someone...the psu will not blow...in either of the two builds.
  10. djangoringo said:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q9aS
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q9aS/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q9aS/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($56.97 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($21.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $380.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    With a corsair cx 430w.
    The other build will be fine too, but if he has doubts seeded by someone...the psu will not blow...in either the two builds.


    The CX430 is an OK choice - I've seen it struggle with a lot of hardware, it should be fine for an APU though. It will be a better choice than anything Coolmax makes though.
  11. Best answer selected by tjosborne.
  12. thanks for your help guys. i decided that all that all that was between my gaming rig an my living room tv was the wall so i bought a $35 drill and a 6" hdmi cable. less convinient but it will work. easy fix when moving too so no biggie.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Sound Cards Systems Product