Sign in with
Your question

MSI GTX 670 PE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2012 10:29:09 PM

Im just wondering whether with the issues that have come up I should still buy this card? If you guys recommend not too, is the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC a good alternative?

More about : msi gtx 670

a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 10:31:48 PM

Gigabyte is pretty good. Customer support is pretty nice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 10:36:02 PM

I have the msi 670 PE and don't have any problems with it. My only complaint is that the fan spins up to 100% when in the bios and right before windows boots.

Other than that, it's fairly quiet and cool. It also looks quite nice.

If you OC:
Another thing about 670s in general, the voltage controller is limited to a very small voltage increase. So don't worry too much about the cards thermal performance since you'll likely hit a voltage wall before a thermal wall.
m
l
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
October 6, 2012 11:12:44 PM

I would recommend it.
m
l
October 7, 2012 3:57:59 AM

Do you guys think the overvoltage issues with the MSI GTX 670 PE is worth not buying it?
m
l
October 7, 2012 3:59:07 AM

slicedtoad said:
My only complaint is that the fan spins up to 100% when in the bios and right before windows boots.

Gotta love that "Dust removal technology" :lol: 

Anyways, no, I wouldn't probably buy the 670 PE because the point of a Power Edition card is to be able to overvolt and you can't do that on Kepler.
m
l
October 7, 2012 4:07:42 AM

Ok :)  So the windforce as an alternative?
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 4:27:17 AM

Znorfy said:
The asus non top or MSI PE or windforce there all alright you should also find it quite fishy that only TH comes up with this and no other professional reliable review site caught it or is backing it up i honestly think this is something they did with recent batches.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 4:31:12 AM

The Asus top is great if you can find it. Which is near impossible brand new.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 5:45:18 PM

Znorfy said:

just to clarify, ALL 670s cannot overvolt so it doesn't really matter which one you buy. (the MSI lightning might be able to, but it cost a fortune).
m
l
October 7, 2012 5:56:57 PM

The 680 Lightning is the only card that has real software overvolting capability in the GTX 6xx lineup. And that comes with a lot of caveats - you have to somehow manage to acquire of the original batch of cards, and you may need an older version of MSI Afterburner (2.2.3 I think? Not sure).

When MSI released it with real software overvoltage, Nvidia got their panties in a bunch and made them change the BIOS to get rid of that feature. I don't know how many cards exist that were part of that original batch that are unlocked - I think I read somewhere that it was around 5000 but I dunno. I'm sure that any you bought off a site like Newegg now would not be part of that original set.

I also think that MSI modified their Afterburner software to get rid of the triple overvoltage control on that card.

In other words, it doesn't matter which custom 670 you buy, really. Find whatever card you like the best or has the best reviews and grab it. The 670 Windforce is a fine choice if you like the aesthetic (I only mention that because I think all the windforce cards are ugly as hell).
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 5:59:49 PM

Znorfy said:
Sure that works there very little differences between the ones i have ever used i have not try them all but i am pretty sure only differences between them is the non reference ones run cooler quieter and usually are already highly factory overclocked
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:05:05 PM

BigMack70 said:
The 680 Lightning is the only card that has real software overvolting capability in the GTX 6xx lineup. And that comes with a lot of caveats - you have to somehow manage to acquire of the original batch of cards, and you may need an older version of MSI Afterburner (2.2.3 I think? Not sure).

When MSI released it with real software overvoltage, Nvidia got their panties in a bunch and made them change the BIOS to get rid of that feature. I don't know how many cards exist that were part of that original batch that are unlocked - I think I read somewhere that it was around 5000 but I dunno. I'm sure that any you bought off a site like Newegg now would not be part of that original set.

I also think that MSI modified their Afterburner software to get rid of the triple overvoltage control on that card.

In other words, it doesn't matter which custom 670 you buy, really. Find whatever card you like the best or has the best reviews and grab it. The 670 Windforce is a fine choice if you like the aesthetic (I only mention that because I think all the windforce cards are ugly as hell).

The newer batches of msi lightnings could just be flashed to the old bios though right? Just wondering since I haven't looked into the 670 oc scene since I bought my 670 and tried (without success) to overvolt it a few months ago.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:06:33 PM

Quote:
I might know a guy who knows another guy that knows how to do it on the 680 Lightning :whistle: 

You can always do a hard mod and force the overvoltage :) . That's what I'd be doing if my 670 was on my wc rig.
m
l
October 7, 2012 6:11:55 PM

slicedtoad said:
The newer batches of msi lightnings could just be flashed to the old bios though right?

I dunno... I don't remember the article detailing all this over on guru3d being optimistic about being able to just flash to the old BIOS. I don't know enough to say either way.

From what I know, it seems that physically voltmodding your card is the only way to achieve true overvoltage overclocks on Kepler.
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:19:24 PM

BigMack70 said:
I dunno... I don't remember the article detailing all this over on guru3d being optimistic about being able to just flash to the old BIOS. I don't know enough to say either way.

From what I know, it seems that physically voltmodding your card is the only way to achieve true overvoltage overclocks on Kepler.
Your somewhat right On 2.2.4 you may edit Lightning hardware profile files and you can't update it or let it update after you do There certain lines disable NVIDIA's capped voltage control module, enable voltage control via direct access to CHL8318 and select offset voltage control mode for it. :whistle: 

m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:27:25 PM

slicedtoad said:
You can always do a hard mod and force the overvoltage :) . That's what I'd be doing if my 670 was on my wc rig.
Yeah did that already i need another radiator one is not enough for my cpu and both cards or i might just get one bigger ;) 
m
l
October 8, 2012 3:07:41 PM

I think Ill stick with the MSI GTX 670 PE. It has a higher base clock and I like the looks better, price seems to be the same as well.
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 8, 2012 3:29:59 PM

Znorfy said:
I think Ill stick with the MSI GTX 670 PE. It has a higher base clock and I like the looks better, price seems to be the same as well.
How far are you able to overclock yours i have only been able to stay stable 1292/1852 on both of them on air they get to hot if i push harder
m
l
!