Sign in with
Your question

Sell me on a video card: GTX 670 or HD 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2012 12:00:03 AM

Which video card is a better value overall? I can't decide between the two, because I checked benchmarks on both OC'd and they both come pretty close.

Which one would you pick if you were me?
October 7, 2012 12:12:08 AM

I picked the 7950 Giagabyte Windforce x3 OC 900Mhz, about 2 weeks ago when the price dropped for the second time down to 300. I'm completely satisfied with its performance 120 fps in D3, 60-70 fps GW2 best appearance, both on 1920x1080 res.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't regret either purchase but considering the 7950 is so close in performance for 70-150 cheaper depending on the manufacturer, its the clear choice to me. Have fun upgrading, make sure you have room most 7950's/670's are around 10.5" long.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 12:19:14 AM

Given that they generally perform so close with overclocking, I'd go for a much cheaper 7950 and put that saved money elsewhere, but that's me. Some 7950 models often overclock better than the best 670s whereas some have trouble surpassing a stock 670, so if you pick 7950, pick a good model. Gigabyte WindForce, Sapphire, XFX Double D, and some comparably well-cooled models.
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 12:20:11 AM

both are extremely solid choices and really the decision is if you are willing to pay for extra fps+ additions. to some people, gaining adaptive vsync, some fps, physx is worth their time. others dont care if they have it or not. both can steadily play games thrown at them though.
m
l
October 7, 2012 3:21:20 AM

I've heard someone say the 7870 performs just as well as a 7950. Is this true at all?
m
l
October 7, 2012 3:24:45 AM

costcosaurus said:
I've heard someone say the 7870 performs just as well as a 7950. Is this true at all?

In some scenarios a factory overclocked 7870 will perform about the same as a stock clocked 7950.

To answer your original question:
If you want to overclock your card a lot, the 7950 is the best deal on the market, bar none. 40%+ overclocks are the norm from AMD's stock speeds if you buy pretty much any custom card.

If you don't want to overclock much and have the extra $100, the 670 is the better option.
m
l
October 7, 2012 4:50:31 AM

BigMack70 said:
In some scenarios a factory overclocked 7870 will perform about the same as a stock clocked 7950.

To answer your original question:
If you want to overclock your card a lot, the 7950 is the best deal on the market, bar none. 40%+ overclocks are the norm from AMD's stock speeds if you buy pretty much any custom card.

If you don't want to overclock much and have the extra $100, the 670 is the better option.

What's the best 670 card if I don't plan to overclock?

I have some qualifications for it:

-Minor gripe, but I don't want it to look ugly (those box shaped cards). It's my preference, but if the best 670 stock speed card looks like that, then I really don't care.

-Pick one with a low price if possible.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 5:17:07 AM

EVGA 670 FTW
MSI 670 Power Edition!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 5:31:18 AM

bigcyco1 said:
EVGA 670 FTW
ZOTAC 670 AMP! Edition

I've heard some bad things about the Zotac AMP's cooler, although that info is several months old. Do you know if it still has any issues?
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 5:38:25 AM

luciferano said:
I've heard some bad things about the Zotac AMP's cooler, although that info is several months old. Do you know if it still has any issues?

if you judged the amp by this review then it isnt that bad. its in the upper half of the 670's
m
l
October 7, 2012 5:39:04 AM

luciferano said:
Given that they generally perform so close with overclocking, I'd go for a much cheaper 7950 and put that saved money elsewhere, but that's me. Some 7950 models often overclock better than the best 670s whereas some have trouble surpassing a stock 670, so if you pick 7950, pick a good model. Gigabyte WindForce, Sapphire, XFX Double D, and some comparably well-cooled models.

670's overclock fine. I've heard of people hitting 1300 on stock voltages, but generally 1250 is average. Mine is running at 1288 stock voltages and I haven't gone higher because Im too lazy to bother. Im getting about 75% power usage from 1.175V, so if I use more power or flash the bios, I should easily be able to go higher.

BUT!! AMD cards get nearly double the gains compared to Kepler cards in overclocking (1:1 vs 1:05 gains) , although the 680 still holds well and still wins at some games at 1200 mhz comparison.

Alot of games are optimized for Nvidia and run better on it. Physx is not unnessessary, it basically rendered the physics of certain things instead of them being pre-rendered or not there at all.

7950 has 1GB extra Vram that can help in running alot of heavy mods. It is 90+% of the preformance of the 7970 for 70% of the price.

I was going to get a 7950 in my build over the summer for 350$ because of the overclocking potential and <5% difference clock for clock compared to the higher end cards, but I went with the 670 for driver support, Physx, and preformance. Now with the margin so close between the 7970 and 670, and with the 7950 being so cheap,... it might not be such a good choice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 5:46:43 AM

xtwiinky said:
670's overclock fine. I've heard of people hitting 1300 on stock voltages, but generally 1250 is average. Mine is running at 1288 stock voltages and only because I haven't bothered to look up any guides and properally tweak it.

BUT!! AMD cards get nearly double the gains compared to Kepler cards in overclocking (1:1 vs 1:05 gains) , although the 680 still holds well and still wins at some games at 1200 mhz comparison.

Alot of games are optimized for Nvidia and run better on it. Physx is not unnessessary, it basically rendered the physics of certain things instead of them being pre-rendered or not there at all.

7950 has 1GB extra Vram that can help in running alot of heavy mods. It is 90+% of the preformance of the 7970 for 70% of the price.

I was going to get a 7950 in my build over the summer for 350$ because of the overclocking potential and <5% difference clock for clock compared to the higher end cards, but I went with the 670 for driver support, Physx, and preformance. Now with the margin so close between the 7970 and 670, and with the 7950 being so cheap,... it might not be such a good choice.

I know that Nvidia can hit high frequencies and doesn't scale efficiently with them. My point is that by percentage of performance increased, AMD is king for overclocking right now. Sure, Nvidia still overclocks well, but as you and I have said, simply not as well as AMD.

Most games that are Nvidia-optimized run pretty dam great on AMD Radeon 7xxx. AMD has been improving perfomrance in Nvidia-optimized games greatly.

PhysX's problem is that it's not well-supported. Few games use it and far fewer use it properly. Even then, several of those few left can simply use CPU-based physics. Batman:AC and Borderlands 2 are really the only two games where it matters much and even then, AMD can run it if you get a low-end Nvidia card to run PysX for the AMD card.

That extra 1GB of frame buffer is both more and less important than you might think. Compared to the 660 cards, it's more important because they are really 1.5GB plus .5GB cards (GiB, not GB, to be more accurate). That last .5GB runs at one third of the bandwidth of the rest of the memory because it is accessible by only one memory controller out of the three, so using more than 1.5GB of memory incurs a performance penalty, albeit not as bad as running out of frame buffer completely like it would without that extra .5GB. Against the 670, that 3GB is really usually only important in triple 1080p or higher resolutions and even then, most games are fine in triple 1920x1200 with 2GB.

I've made my recommendation, so I won't repeat it. Sorry if this got into a rant-like post :( 
m
l
October 7, 2012 5:53:41 AM

I've got a lot of options on my hands here, and I've narrowed it down to these choices:

EVGA: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Galaxy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MSI: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z574RU
Another MSI: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=72914&vpn=N670%20PE%20...
Zotac: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Another Zotac: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089N74PE

The cheapest one with rebates is that first MSI, but how good is it compared to the others? Which one do you guys believe is the best value?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 5:58:14 AM

I'll narrow it down further for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z574RU
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=72914&vpn=N670%20PE%20...

Which is better depends on what you want. You know the cheapest one, the other MSI card is the fastest, and although it's neither the slowest nor the fastest, the EVGA has the best warranty. You should choose what you value more be it a little more performance, a little cheaper, or a better warranty. Which do you value the most?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:00:19 AM

If you're going to overclock , then the HD 7950 is a much better choice because it will perform just as well as the GTX 670 but at a lower price.BUT if you can afford a GTX 670 why don't you just buy a HD 7970 GHZ Edition? It's faster than a GTX 680 at stock and overclocked(GTX 680! not 670).

This card right here is a beast and if you can afford it i suggest you buy it.

Otherwise yeah go for a HD 7950.
This HD 7950 has an amazing cooler and it performs pretty much like a GTX 670 at stock.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:05:18 AM

I agree with luciferano if it was me i pick the msi 670 pe or 7950 vapor x but you need to pick what's best for you not have us pick for you.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:12:58 AM

dudewitbow said:
if you judged the amp by this review then it isnt that bad. its in the upper half of the 670's
+1 TH reviews are questionable imo sometimes i don't even hardly read them anymore :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:16:45 AM

bigcyco1 said:
+1 TH reviews are questionable imo sometimes i don't even hardly read them anymore :lol: 

Actually, I was judging it by a TCP review where the reviewer stated something about a problem with the cooler, although TBF, I didn't condemn the card, I just asked if it still had any such problem. I think that it was something with many of the AMP! units being shipped with the cooler improperly installed or damaged.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:18:12 AM

What i like about TH that other sites dont do as much is test cards all at once side by side, rather than different times. It gives you a general area on effecientcy of coolers, which no benchmark really displays outright except generalizing on different benches and estimating. Albeit I wish they could use more cards(its dependant on if the companies are willing to send a test example, which is why Toms doesnt get EVGA cards because the gpu tests happen in europe if i recall clearly)

@above. I know that the amp was pretty bad on the 560/560ti/570 as alot of users had to reseat their gpus in order to regulate the heat. it isnt that the fan is bad, its that most of the time, Zotac really screwed up attaching the heatsink, and the user will probably have to fix it themselves.
m
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:21:43 AM

costcosaurus said:
What's the best 670 card if I don't plan to overclock?

I have some qualifications for it:

-Minor gripe, but I don't want it to look ugly (those box shaped cards). It's my preference, but if the best 670 stock speed card looks like that, then I really don't care.

-Pick one with a low price if possible.

Asus 670 TOP - 10.0 rating
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

Gigabyte Windforce SC 670 - 9.8 rating
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX...

MSI Twin Frozr IV 670 - 9.7 rating
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Ed...

Palit Jetsteram 670 - 9.7 rating
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_67...

Zotac AMP 670 - 9.6 rating
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_67...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:21:47 AM

dudewitbow said:

@above. I know that the amp was pretty bad on the 560/560ti/570 as alot of users had to reseat their gpus in order to regulate the heat. it isnt that the fan is bad, its that most of the time, Zotac really screwed up attaching the heatsink, and the user will probably have to fix it themselves.

Yeah, I think that's what the problem was. If that's it, then I think that its okay to at least suggest the card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:24:27 AM

Thanks for the links, but I have to ask, why bother posting the TOP review when we all know that it's discontinued? Do you know of any retail outlets that are still selling them new?
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:29:52 AM

dudewitbow said:
What i like about TH that other sites dont do as much is test cards all at once side by side, rather than different times. It gives you a general area on effecientcy of coolers, which no benchmark really displays outright except generalizing on different benches and estimating. Albeit I wish they could use more cards(its dependant on if the companies are willing to send a test example, which is why Toms doesnt get EVGA cards because the gpu tests happen in europe if i recall clearly)

Yeah, i know what you mean and about the card i thought that was from a bad batch my friends card doesn't have a issue but maybe luck of the draw ?
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:47:51 AM

Kamen_BG said:
If you're going to overclock , then the HD 7950 is a much better choice because it will perform just as well as the GTX 670 but at a lower price.BUT if you can afford a GTX 670 why don't you just buy a HD 7970 GHZ Edition? It's faster than a GTX 680 at stock and overclocked(GTX 680! not 670).

This card right here is a beast and if you can afford it i suggest you buy it.

Otherwise yeah go for a HD 7950.
This HD 7950 has an amazing cooler and it performs pretty much like a GTX 670 at stock.

Now I really don't know what I want, since I keep getting AMD shoved down my throat, no offense.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:52:50 AM

costcosaurus said:
Now I really don't know what I want, since I keep getting AMD shoved down my throat, no offense.

If you overclock- AMD 7950 or 7970 GHz Edition, something such as the aforementioned Sapphire models
If you don't overclock and don't wantto spend more than $270-320- AMD 7950
If you don't overclock and do want to spend more than $330- Nvidia 670

Not trying to shove AMD down your throat, just saying, they are kinda beating Nvidia right now overall, especially if you overclock.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 8:19:38 AM

costcosaurus said:
That is a great problem on this forum AMD as well as NV fans conduct this in every thread it's something you will halfway get use to anyway just purchase what you want you're just going to be confused.It's the way it is you questioned a very unfavorable question this forum prevails with Fanboys on both sides and you will get nothing but subjective answers both are great cards you would not be going wrong if you picked either one
m
l
October 7, 2012 8:46:49 AM

luciferano said:
Thanks for the links, but I have to ask, why bother posting the TOP review when we all know that it's discontinued? Do you know of any retail outlets that are still selling them new?

I know that the Gigabyte is the quietest and cools the best but only a few degrees and 5db better than the MSI PE. I trust MSI and bought the PE 670 ...

But the Twin Frozer 4 7950 is an amazing card. I was staring at it for weeks before changing my mind.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 6:50:22 PM

costcosaurus said:
Would this video card be a good choice if I were to go with AMD?

Nope i seen a review i will try and find it a 660 ti beat it :pt1cable:  :lol:  Edit- it's not a bad card though nice price i say it's worth it
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:11:47 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Nope i seen a review i will try and find it a 660 ti beat it :pt1cable:  :lol:  Edit- it's not a bad card though nice price i say it's worth it

What exactly is wrong with it? I thought if you overclocked a 7950 you would get to the performance of a 670.
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:15:45 PM

costcosaurus said:
What exactly is wrong with it? I thought if you overclocked a 7950 you would get to the performance of a 670.

You do. I dunno what he thinks is wrong with it - maybe he knows something I don't.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:19:30 PM

Nothing is wrong with it and i think your not understanding something all this overclock talk is kinda misleading it's possible but not Guarantee to be able to overclock that high and your being mislead by thinking it's a 100% for sure thing as long as your aware of that then i say go for it
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:22:39 PM

Average OC on a 7950 is 1150 MHz core, and you're probably looking at stock 670-caliber performance once you get around 1000-1050 MHz.

hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/radeon_hd_7950/
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:22:59 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Nothing is wrong with it and i think your not understanding something all this overclock talk is kinda misleading it's possible but not Guarantee to be able to overclock that high and your being mislead by thinking it's a 100% for sure thing as long as your aware of that then i say go for it

You have a better chance of beating the 670 with a 7950 (an extremely high chance of it) than you have with a 660 Ti (which is null) and to get a 670 instead of a 7950 would be spending more money than is necessary.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:29:23 PM

BigMack70 said:
Average OC on a 7950 is 1150 MHz core, and you're probably looking at stock 670-caliber performance once you get around 1000-1050 MHz.

hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/radeon_hd_7950/
Oh brother not you to tell the guy the facts a link with a benchmark so what not all cards are the same take into account that each chip is different i am not saying it won't overclock well i am just trying to make sure hes not believing there is some magic number that hes going to hit for sure that's bs and you know it :pfff: 
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:34:33 PM

I'm not sure I understand your post. Overclocking is never a guarantee and everyone should know that.

At the same time, hwbot has your average OC data right there... they have the average OC as 1150 MHz.

You don't need to get that high to get 670 caliber performance. At 1050 Mhz, the 7970 is a match for the 680. At 7950 launch, several sites did clock-for-clock comparisons between the 7950 and 7970, finding that the 7950 is just a few % slower than the 7970 if they're clocked the same. The 670 is just a few % slower than the 680. Therefore, a 7950 around 1050 MHz or so will give you ~GTX 670 performance. And that's an OC that's well below average - most likely attainable without voltage tweaking.

For someone wanting to overclock, the 7950 is the best value on the market.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:38:05 PM

BigMack70 said:
I'm not sure I understand your post. Overclocking is never a guarantee and everyone should know that.

At the same time, hwbot has your average OC data right there... they have the average OC as 1150 MHz.

You don't need to get that high to get 670 caliber performance. At 1050 Mhz, the 7970 is a match for the 680. At 7950 launch, several sites did clock-for-clock comparisons between the 7950 and 7970, finding that the 7950 is just a few % slower than the 7970 if they're clocked the same. The 670 is just a few % slower than the 680. Therefore, a 7950 around 1050 MHz or so will give you ~GTX 670 performance. And that's an OC that's well below average - most likely attainable without voltage tweaking.

For someone wanting to overclock, the 7950 is the best value on the market.
You understood my post and i will quote you lol "Overclocking is never a guarantee and everyone should know that". That's all i was saying ;) 

m
l
October 7, 2012 7:41:24 PM

Oh OK. I just wasn't sure what you were trying to point out. Yeah anyone who buys a card looking for a guaranteed overclock might be disappointed. It's a reasonable expectation but you have to be willing to accept the risk.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:44:08 PM

luciferano said:
You have a better chance of beating the 670 with a 7950 (an extremely high chance of it) than you have with a 660 Ti (which is null) and to get a 670 instead of a 7950 would be spending more money than is necessary.
I don't like guessing and won't advise a person to either but i agree the 7950 is a great card for the price and is better than a 660 ti imo
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:55:58 PM

BigMack70 said:
Oh OK. I just wasn't sure what you were trying to point out. Yeah anyone who buys a card looking for a guaranteed overclock might be disappointed. It's a reasonable expectation but you have to be willing to accept the risk.
True i just wanted to make sure he understood this is NOT some for sure thing highly possible but not guaranteed because i have had at least a dozen of members i do not even know send me private messages complaining about threads i was in and saying stuff like how come i did not tell them it's not for sure or why i let someone trick them elect. :heink:  Now... where they get off thinking i had some part of it or it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen is beyond me but it makes me feel bad its not my fault they listen to all these fanboys who sip red/green kool aid all day living in their for sure overclocking like a beast fantasy world.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 7:57:47 PM

bigcyco1 said:
True i just wanted to make sure he understood this is NOT some for sure thing highly possible but not guaranteed because i have had at least a dozen of members i do not even know send me private messages complaining about threads i was in and saying stuff like how come i did not tell them it's not for sure or why i let someone trick them elect. :heink:  Now... where they get off thinking i had some part of it or it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen is beyond me but it makes me its not for them

To be fair, most such people are probably using stock voltage and/or reference cards, aren't they?
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 8:04:14 PM

luciferano said:
To be fair, most such people are probably using stock voltage and/or reference cards, aren't they?
Actually all different cards 670's 7950's 560 ti's elect some were non reference i still have a few of the messages i can check but it doesn't matter i don't want to hear them complain about something to me just because i was in the same thread it's not my fault if they listen to the fanboys who sip red/green kool aid all day living in their for sure overclocking like a beast world record fantasy land.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 9:15:10 PM

Well i guess i exaggerate a little i only received seven different messages not twelve or more lol still that's more than i care to get especially when they are disappointed in stuff i had nothing to do with really
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 9:24:32 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Well i guess i exaggerate a little i only received seven different messages not twelve or more lol still that's more than i care to get especially when they are disappointed in stuff i had nothing to do with really

What models did they get, what was the rest of their hardware, and again, were they overvolting?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2012 10:13:52 PM

Timoti87 said:
I would reccomend the 670 due to the newer technology involved with NVIDIA.
  • GPU Boost
  • Adaptive V-Sync
  • NVIDIA Surround (almost as good as Eyefinity now)
  • FXAA and TXAA
  • PhysX

Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx670dc22...

• GPU boost doesn't matter and AMD has it too.
    Adaptive V-Sync has nothing against the superior virutal V-Sync that worksd on all Z68/Z77 systems with an i5 or i7 that has a working IGP.

AMD has FXAA, but FXAA sucks anyway. TXAA is supported by literally only one game and is simply Nvidia's response to AMD having near-perfect MSAA scaling. It's not an advantage.

PhysX is only properly utilized by two modern games, Batman:AC and Borderlands 2, in which case it's still better to get a 7950 and buy a low-end Nvidia card (about the same price and still better-performing than a lone 670) to do the PhysX processing.

I could argue in favor of MSAA against TXAA, OpenCL/Direct Compute gaming features such as advanced lighting (kinda competes with PhysX, in a way) that pretty much need an AMD card because Nvidia can't handle them, and more. Nvidia doesn't have a real feature advantage over AMD that AMD doesn't also have over Nvidia in other features.

Different reasons would be important if you want to recommend one company over the other.
    m
    l
    October 7, 2012 10:16:26 PM

People who argue Nvidia's "features" as some sort of this-is-why-you-should-always-buy-Nvidia rationale don't know what they're talking about.

I'd go a step further and argue that GPU Boost does matter and is actually more of a negative than a positive and is a big reason NOT to purchase Nvidia's GTX 6xx series, but that's just me...
    m
    l
    a c 106 U Graphics card
    October 7, 2012 10:21:39 PM

gpu boost is what made it much harder to overclock for enthusiasts. it first showed up on the 680 where it did reverse scaling.(when heavily overclocked). In my opinion, the only real feature that nvidia that is considerable is physx if you are going to use it. the rest are entirely optional and have an alternative for.
    m
    l
    a c 607 U Graphics card
    October 7, 2012 10:42:05 PM

costcosaurus said:

bigcyco1 said:
    That is a great problem on this forum AMD as well as NV fans conduct this in every thread it's something you will halfway get use to anyway just purchase what you want you're just going to be confused.It's the way it is you questioned a very unfavorable question this forum prevails with Fanboys on both sides and you will get nothing but subjective answers both are great cards you would not be going wrong if you picked either one

Costcosaurus, just make sure you balance out these forum opinions with your own research of the cards you want. People tend to have favorites and tend to blank out any positives or negatives that run contrary to their preference. I also recommend that you, for argument's sake, assume both the 670 and 7950 have exactly the same performance, then look for something else to separate them in terms of your preferences. I suggest you look at: power consumption, noise level, drivers, image quality settings, and added value through any technological extras for each card (i.e GCN vs. Adaptive VSync or Turbo Boost, etc.).
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-r...
    http://www.eteknix.com/reviews/graphics/nvidia-geforce-...

Lastly, be sure to look at performance in those games you actually intend to play yourself. Some cards may prefer certain games, and that will throw off your perception if you don't actually intend to play those games.

To give you some data, I took the liberty of comparing the MSI GTX 670 PE/OC and the Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X on the same website, TechPowerUp, for consistency.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Ed...
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Vap...

Power Consumption-Peak
    670: 161 watts
    7950: 176 watts

Noise Level
    670: 37 Dba
    7950: 34 Dba

Performance Summary 1920x1200
    670: 7970 + 7%
    7950+Boost: 7970 - 10%
    (+17% for the MSI GTX 670 over the Sapphire 7950 in Boost mode)

Performance per Watt 1920x1200
    670: 7970 + 17%
    7950 Boost: 7970 - 10%
    (+27% for the MSI GTX 670 over the Sapphire 7950 in Boost mode)

Overall Score
    670: 9.7 - "Editor's Choice"
    7950: 9.1 - "Highly Recommended"
    m
    l
    !